Tried out both MIM and MIA standard teles today through a Mustang III. Both sounded absolutely horrible with even a small amount of gain. Humming like mad and barely audible. And when I say humming I mean REALLY humming. Do teles usually sound this bad through other solid state amps? I'm buying a MIM soon and usually play with a good bit of drive, but today's experience has really put me off teles
Try playing in the middle position then it is hum cancelling. They do have hum and if you play with a lot of gain you will hear it. But you should not hear it in the middle position because the pickups are hum cancelling.

There can be other issues there too like the bridge is not grounded. See if the hum goes away if you touch both the bridge and the volume knob.
Quote by _Le0n_
Tried out both MIM and MIA standard teles today through a Mustang III. Both sounded absolutely horrible with even a small amount of gain. Humming like mad and barely audible. And when I say humming I mean REALLY humming. Do teles usually sound this bad through other solid state amps? I'm buying a MIM soon and usually play with a good bit of drive, but today's experience has really put me off teles

If you tried it with some other amps while there, you would've learned a bit more - whether you like the sound of SCs, which SS amps suck, that tube amps may be nice, etc..

Yeah, it's a single coil so that might happen. If you want the single coil sound, you have to deal with the hum somehow.

Also, I'd be surprised to discover a guitar that doesn't sound bad through a Fender Mustang.
I've had Squier, Fender MIM & MIA teles and played them through SS and tube amps. The only bad humming ever occurred when the guitar got too close to the amp/amp head. If you tried these out at a shop, the personnel should have been able to solve the problem. Could be a bad cable!?
I've played multiple Squier and Fender Telecasters through different Fender Mustang models with great results.
Maybe there was something wrong with the cable, as Marsden suggested, or the amp itself could have some sort of defect.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
How close did you stand to the amp? Also, try different cables. If the hum doesn't go away when you move farther from your amp, then you have a real problem. But standing too close to the amp always causes some hum.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 5, 2014,
sounds like something was wrong somewhere
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ indeed
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sometimes I notice stuff like that, then I realise my wah is on.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Zhaezzy
Try playing in the middle position then it is hum cancelling. They do have hum and if you play with a lot of gain you will hear it. But you should not hear it in the middle position because the pickups are hum cancelling.

There can be other issues there too like the bridge is not grounded. See if the hum goes away if you touch both the bridge and the volume knob.

On my 2013 MIM standard tele the middle position was not hum cancelling. I thought it was a mistake but when I got in touch with Fender they told me this was intentional from the factory. So, at least the more recent MIM standards are not RW/RP in the middle position and don't cancel hum unfortunately.
Quote by Underjoggle
The hambucker is the revolutionary new pickup that removes unwanted ham from your output signal, and collects it on a croissant with melted cheese.

Quote by Eddie4President
Shoop unto others what you would have shooped unto you.
Quote by Dr. Guitar
On my 2013 MIM standard tele the middle position was not hum cancelling. I thought it was a mistake but when I got in touch with Fender they told me this was intentional from the factory. So, at least the more recent MIM standards are not RW/RP in the middle position and don't cancel hum unfortunately.

I never thought of that as a thing on the Tele? I wasn't aware that they had done that on any standard model, ever. With Strats it is mostly a no-brainer.

On the topic of the thread, did the store have spotlights? That's the only environment I have ever experienced high levels of hum in. I have played at rehearsals with stock Teles with hard-rock gain and high volume, and the only problem I have experienced have been feedback - but to be fair, that's the same with all guitars I have. You just kill the volume when you don't play.

I think it's a pretty reasonable conclusion in that the problem wasn't the guitars, but something else like the cable, the amplifier etc.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
its most likely a defective guitar, crap gear. and are we talking USA tele for sure? nothing wrong with a MIM but MIA that is not defective?

its darn near impossible to get a tele to sound BAD.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
A lot of single coils have a bit of a buzz to 'em. If you're used to HUM-BUCKERS, the buzz may be more pronounced for you. Solution: play the damn guitar. Alternate solution: noiseless single coil pups. Though noiseless sc pups may or may not have the punch, snap and clarity that sc pups are good for.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
A lot of single coils have a bit of a buzz to 'em. If you're used to HUM-BUCKERS, the buzz may be more pronounced for you. Solution: play the damn guitar. Alternate solution: noiseless single coil pups. Though noiseless sc pups may or may not have the punch, snap and clarity that sc pups are good for.

But a bit of buzz isn't anywhere close to what TS describes, even coming from someone here who regularly play humbucker-equipped guitars with high gain, but with occasional exploring into single-coil-land.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
But a bit of buzz isn't anywhere close to what TS describes, even coming from someone here who regularly play humbucker-equipped guitars with high gain, but with occasional exploring into single-coil-land.

Highway One Tele straight to Diezel VH4's channel 3 or Uberschall Twin Jet's channel 2 brings the carnage.