Ive been told you use theory to explain rather then to compose and as such ive written a nice minor progression but not an absolute clue what half of it is, i basically arpeggio the firat three and strum the last d minor, its only a little composition done real quick ao dont know where im going with it but lets assume its these four can anyone help?

What chords are they and what key

(Xx323x) arpeggio

(Xx223x) arpeggio

Then an A7 i believe arpeggio

Then one single strum to resolve on d minor

Im guessing d minor is key but i cant see how i can start on it and keep this little progression

?
Quote by PinkZepStones

What chords are they and what key

(Xx323x) arpeggio -- D minor

(Xx223x) arpeggio - Asus4

Then an A7 i believe arpeggio.

Then one single strum to resolve on d minor

Im guessing d minor is key but i cant see how i can start on it and keep this little progression

Your progression is D minor, Asus4, A7, D minor. You are already starting on D minor.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
To figure out the chords, name the notes in the chords. Also, learn about chord construction. The first chord has notes F, A and D in it. Now find the root note. Try to build a stack of thirds from the notes. There's a third between D and F. There's also a third between F and A. Now you have a stack of thirds - D F A. The interval between D and F is a minor third. The interval between D and A is a perfect fifth. So, you've got a root, minor third and perfect fifth which means your chord is a Dm chord.

Do the same with the second chord. You can't build a stack of thirds with the notes. But you can arrange the notes so that you've got a root and a fifth. It's either Dsus2 or Asus4. And why it's Asus4 is because of the next chord (A7). Asus4-A7 is really common.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 5, 2014,