So I made a stupid mistake today and traded for a cab with 2 8ohm speakers. Upon arriving home I realized that one of my amps is lacking a 4 Ohm output while the other is lacking a 16 ohm output. Meaning, wire it one way and I've got a 4 ohm load, the other way I've got a 16 ohm load.

I could wire it for 16ohms and run a safe mismatch into the 8ohm output of the one amp, but I'd honestly rather not do that.

Any other solutions? Can I wire it both series and parallel and install a second jack or a switch?

Any kind of load box that will drop ohms safely and without altering the speaker response?

Or do I need to just buy a pair of 16 ohm speakers?
Quote by icronic
Can I wire it both series and parallel and install a second jack or a switch?
Switches and high power don't go along well.
Quote by icronic
Any kind of load box that will drop ohms safely and without altering the speaker response?
You'd have to get a load box specifically designed for guitars.
Not ideal, but there's lotsa loadboxes with whatever ohm's inputs and whatever ohm's outputs.
Quote by icronic
Or do I need to just buy a pair of 16 ohm speakers?
You would wire the thing so to give you two 8ohm inputs and use two cables to connect two 8ohm outputs from the amp to the inputs on the cab.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Switches and high power don't go along well.

A lot of 4x12 cabs have a switch for 4/16/8ohms in stereo, just has to be a properly built switch
Cabs with more than 1 speaker may have mono and stereo switches, not different mono wirings.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Cabs with more than 1 speaker may have mono and stereo switches, not different mono wirings.

not totally true, it is unusual for commercial cabs to offer such a thing but you can put a switch on the cab that switches from series to parallel.

if you wire a 2x12 with 8 ohms speakers then the switch will change the impedance of the cab to either 4 ohm or 16 ohm. you could go one further and give the cab a stereo option too, but that is fairly convoluted but still works

this setup allows for either 4 ohm or 16 ohm mono operation or 8 ohm stereo operation.

edit: i know they sell jackplates already wired up for such configurations, i am just unable to find them right now. but these jack plates have a pcb on them and a switch already imbedded on the plate so they are pretty much plug and play, you will just need to find them.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 4, 2014,
Marshall 1960's have a 4/16 ohm switch. It's done with a second jack but it's the same thing, it's just done by a jack switch rather than a toggle.

Listen to gumbi, he posted exactly what I was going to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Spambot_2

Really?

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The most common 4x12 on earth:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone