An E7 chord is made of the notes E, G#, B and D. There are many different ways to play this chord, and depending on what voicing is used you will notate it in different places.

Here are the basic inversions:

But as long as those four notes (including multiples of notes) are placed vertically it will be an E7 chord.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Oct 4, 2014,
There's 4 notes in an E7 chord: E, G#, B and D

Each of these notes appears in several places on a staff, and as long as at least one of each is there (there can actually be fewer, but that's another story) you've got an E7 chord.

Unless that's not what you're asking. Was that what you were asking? It's a bit of an odd question to be honest.

EDIT: Well yeah, that ^.
Last edited by sickman411 at Oct 4, 2014,
Quote by sickman411
There's 4 notes in an E7 chord: E, G#, B and D

Also, the B note (or 5th) is optional and you won't find it in some E7 chord voicings:

E7
E||-------------------||
B||--5----------------||
G||--7----------------||
D||--6----------------||
A||--7----------------||
E||-------------------||
That root is also super optional!

All you need is the 3 and 7 to hear the chord.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Just a tiny bit..

Everyone knows the correct answer for E7 is to play about 30 different chords that all average out to an unstable "E" based harmony (evil psychotic laugh)

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
In a similar way, 13th chords sound vague due to inconsistencies caused by optional notes. The solution would be to make stable chord formulas.
Last edited by ha_asgag at Oct 4, 2014,
Well they don't sound vague. It can be easily expressed as many different triads and 4 part chords.

They do sound unstable, as they should, being dominant chords and all.

But I digress, its beyond the scope of this thread. Everything everyone else said is right.

I'm thinking about doing a "Jet talks Jazz" series, if there is any interest. That way I can talk about this stuff without straying off topic/starting a flamewar

Quote by Jet Penguin

I'm thinking about doing a "Jet talks Jazz" series, if there is any interest. That way I can talk about this stuff without straying off topic/starting a flamewar

Sure.
I have to replace Zach now that he's gone forever (crying)

Quote by Jet Penguin
I have to replace Zach now that he's gone forever (crying)

I prefer your style anyway Less John Cage, more music.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Oct 5, 2014,
Thanks, I try to make it all applicable. The creative process is a genre-less one.

And I think Cage would argue his lack of music IS actually music, we just aren't listening.

But this thread is gonna kill me if I keep digressing....