So, a week ago i posted that i would trade my H&K Switchblade for a Peavey JSX.
I went and tried the amp out today and then we swapped. The JSX was a bit harsher and it was not as clean sounding as the Switchblade but it had it's stock tubes in, so i thought i could change this by replacing the valves.
I have never replaced valves a guitar amp before. I know I need a multimeter. Do you guys have any suggestions for tubes to smooth it out and get it clear sounding and tight.
I'm sure I have to bias it again. An suggestions with this?
Do I need a bias probe to bias it again or can I do it with the inputs provided at the back of the JSX?
Anything else?
Thanks
You can buy a multimeter and bias probe from these guys too.

http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-Peavey-JSX-XXX-3120-Bias-Video-Pro-One.htm

I'd recommend a full set of JJs. ECC83s in the preamp and E34Ls in the power section if you want to make it less harsh and more like your HK.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I looked at that website before. I have a few questions.
What would be the difference between a Eurotubes Bias Probe and a ET Pro One Bias Probe?
Also should i get the Peavey JSX retube kit? What's the difference between the standard, high gain and gold pin options?
And could i just stick a multimeter into the Bias Test at the back of the JSX?
Thanks
Last edited by foolman at Oct 5, 2014,
From what I remember, those external bias points just measure grid voltage. That will normally get you into the ballpark and be safe enough. However if you want to accurately bias the tubes, you need to measure plate current and plate voltage - that's where the bias prob comes into it.

Don't know anything about those specific probes. I'm sure they'll both work fine. There's not a lot to 'em. I made my own.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard's is correct (and probably the most knowledgeable about amps here). The probes get hooked into a power tube socket and then a tube is plugged into them, allowing you to read the current and properly bias the amp. The regular bias probe will get hooked into a multimeter and is less expensive, and the pro bias one is basically a bias probe and multimeter in one that will give you the mA reading automatically, which is kind of unnecessary, as it is basically only good for biasing an amp.

As far as the different retube kits, the standard one would be fine. The high gain one has matched preamp tubes, which isn't entirely important. The gold pin option is a scam. The tubes have gold pins, which is supposed to be a better conductor, but you will likely never hear it. Although I much prefer the E34Ls by JJ to the EL34s.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Oct 5, 2014,
JJ E34L tubes rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i would first start with the preamp tubes. cheaper, no biasing needed, and in my experience, can do the trick entirely.

smooth? try JJs or mullards. if tis to gainey? perhaps a 5751 in V1.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
JJ's straight through. i bought 20 12AX7's for $8 fora pop on a sale on one website.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Oh yeah, no doubt, JJ's everywhere in that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification