Hi guys

I really want to learn the acoustic guatair.

Can anyone recccomend me one? I am left handed, I'm
Not sure what size I will need?

My budget is around £75

Thank you
I don't think anyone can do that for you. IMO, tone matters not in the least to an absolute beginner. Just buy one that you like the look and feel of, and have a good set up done on it. Playability and simple attractiveness are the main criteria for a beginner, you have to want to pick it up and play it.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 5, 2014,
try and find a used Yamaha FG700S. good playability, not much in the looks department but once you start playing it, you won't notice how it looks anyway. second most popular playable guitar would be Seagull's S6.
most of the "pretty" guitars are so unplayable that you'll give up rather quickly. forego the looks and find one that is easy to play and doesn't sound that bad. once you have a year or so under your belt, you'll understand better.
find someone that plays and go shopping with them. concentrate on the player's reaction to it's sound and ease of play. don't worry about any "bling" on it. you need one that was built to be played not looked at.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by kiawill91
Hi guys

I really want to learn the acoustic guatair.

Can anyone recccomend me one? I am left handed, I'm
Not sure what size I will need?...[ ]...
Quote by stepchildusmc
try and find a used Yamaha FG700S. good playability, not much in the looks department but once you start playing it, you won't notice how it looks anyway. second most popular playable guitar would be Seagull's S6.
....[ ].....
Well Step, the Yamaha FG-700 won't work for this. That of course, predicated on whether the TS intends to learn to play left handed. The argument as to whether a lefty should learn to play righty, believe it or not, I'm reluctant to entertain. Not unwilling mind you, but reluctant..

The Seagull S-6 is available in an LH model, but is way over the top with respect to the stated budget.

Musician's Friend lists 81 left handed acoustics, so it might be prudent to whittle away at that list, before making any hard and fast recommendations.

However, since the TS is listing his budget in Pounds Sterling, M'sF may not be as much help as it would be for a 1st time buyer here in the colonies..

Given Britain's VAT tax and different pricing structure, unfortunaterly, it looks like a "Rogue" or the first step up from there.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 6, 2014,
I don't think it's possible to buy a LH guitar for £75. And even if it is I doubt that I would recommend doing it.
Quote by Garthman
I don't think it's possible to buy a LH guitar for £75. And even if it is I doubt that I would recommend doing it.
Believe it or not, "Rogue" offers a lefty for under a hundred bucks. However, the low end Yamaha that everybody keeps suggesting DOES NOT come left handed! Yamaha does offer a thin body AE left handed, but the cost is over $300.00.

If "Rogue" is what you can afford, then Rogue is what you'll have to learn on. This seems OK to me, as long as you take an experienced guitar player/shopper along with you when you buy one. I have to assume QA to be somewhat intermittent at this price point. So picking, "the best of the litter", is of paramount importance!

Here's the link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-rg-624-left-handed-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
Believe it or not, "Rogue" offers a lefty for under a hundred bucks. . . . .

If "Rogue" is what you can afford, then Rogue is what you'll have to learn on. . . .

I believe it. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) we don't have "Rogue" over here.

To the OP: This is the cheapest left hander I can find available in the UK:-

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/redwood-rd100-left-handed-acoustic-guitar-natural?gclid=CPKG0Pq0msECFQjItAodSk0AWw

I've not seen it so have no idea what it's like.

This is the next cheapest:-

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=12122216044432
You can get an electro acoustic for £73 from Gear4Music I can't vouch for the quality of it, but it does come with their standard 28 day no likey no keepy warranty.

I have used them in the past for my daughters violin and a few other odds and ends. Pretty good delivery to NI, apparently next day for mainland UK. Only had one problem with a broken violin bow, replaced no hassle with 1 phone call. So I can say yes, good customer service, no hassle with 1 damaged item. I can't say anything about the guitar. They do have a showroom in York, may be suitable to pop in, or give them a call.
"If I didn't know I was a genius, I wouldn't listen to the trash I write."
You could try to find a used Fender CD 100, they make left handed guitar. New it is probably twice your price, but used it would be a lot cheaper.

If you go used you might be able to something better in your price range. If you are nervous about buying used, go through a local guitar shop that way you can return it if needed.

I hope you find something.
Quote by Garthman
I believe it. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) we don't have "Rogue" over here.... [ ]....
You probably do, but under a different alias. Our, "Rogue", might be your, "Rake, Knave, Highwayman or, (doubtfully), Reynardine".

(Although, "Reynard" would most likely be my personal choice. C'mon, let's hear it for the werefox).

This is an issue which caused me to not really embrace the earliest "Genesis" albums. There was so much pure British slang, I hadn't a clue what the hell they were talking about.. Other bands of the period, seemed to have a gift for automatically Americanizing their lyrics. The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, and so forth.

In that same vein, God only knows what moniker the Aussie versions might carry....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 7, 2014,
I think the epiphone dr100 is within that budget. I don't have any personal experience with one but they get touted as a decent budget guitar for the money. IDK if they come left handed or the availability in the UK though.
Quote by Captaincranky
You probably do, but under a different alias. Our, "Rogue", might be your, "Rake, Knave, Highwayman or, (doubtfully), Reynardine".

(Although, "Reynard" would most likely be my choice. C'mon, let's hear it for the werefox).

LOL. Yeah.

Well I've done a quick trawl and our "cheapie" gits seem to have names like : "Chord", "Tiger", "Jasmine", "Sigma", "Elevation", "Squier" . . . . . or no name at all: just "Acoustic Guitar Package by Blah Blah Blah Music Ltd". There are also two or three < £100 gits that carry the name "Fender" and "Ibanez". I suppose they could all be "Rogues"

Quote by Captaincranky
This is an issue which caused me to not really embrace the earliest "Genesis" albums. There was so much pure British slang, I hadn't a clue what the hell they were talking about.. :

You listened to Genesis?????

Shit, Captain, they all came from Sussex or Middlesex - wtf do you expect?
Quote by Garthman
LOL. Yeah.

Well I've done a quick trawl and our "cheapie" gits seem to have names like : "Chord", "Tiger", "Jasmine", "Sigma", "Elevation", "Squier" . . . . . or no name at all: just "Acoustic Guitar Package by Blah Blah Blah Music Ltd". There are also two or three < £100 gits that carry the name "Fender" and "Ibanez". I suppose they could all be "Rogues"
Sigma is a recognized brand. I think it might be an OEM also. Allegedly our, "Zager guitars", come from Sigma. (Don't necessarily take that as endorsement of Zager, it isn't). Isn't "Jasmine" the low end of Takamine? And "Squire" is low end Fender. Which is probably better known for their Strat copies. "Elevation" though, reminds me of "erectile dysfunction" medicine commercial. "If you have an erection lasting more than 4 hours, call your music teacher immediately".
Quote by Garthman
You listened to Genesis?????

Shit, Captain, they all came from Sussex or Middlesex - wtf do you expect?
Well, it was way, way back in the day, and nobody was really expecting more than one good track, (the single), off an LP anyway.... Of course sometimes it would have been a pleasant surprise to even get that in some cases. We bought the LPs for the cover photo. Sometimes the lyrics would be included. Although, in the case of "Steeleye Span", sometimes knowing the words was actually a setback, as what you thought they were singing, made more sense than what they were actually singing. Here's a 100 misheard song lyrics, (No warranty express or implied as to the humor levels): http://www.kissthisguy.com/funny.php

My favorite is from Creedence Clerarwater:, (Bad Moon Rising), "there's a bathroom on the right".
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 8, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
. . . . . My favorite is from Creedence Clerarwater:, (Bad Moon Rising), "there's a bathroom on the right".

LOL yes - lots of people over here thought that's how it went. Especially women