I've been playing the guitar for about 6 years now. I play a lot of blues rock like Kenny Wayne shepherd, stevie ray vaugn, Clapton, slash and even metal such as trivium, DT, Metallica and the like.
I've been playing on a cheap Korean start I bought for about a 100$ for 4 years. I've saved up close to a 1000$ to myself a guitar I've deserved for a long time.
I've been researching into ibanezes, fenders, jacksons and even epiphones but I just can't figure what would fit my genre perfectly. Here are a few opinions I've heard from people. The first one being that the Mexican fender strats aren't worth it. The LTD pickups suck. Jacksons are for straight up metal. I've really been looking at ibanezes and im really impressed with their fast necks and super start necks. Just seems right. However I honestly feel I lack the right judgement to chose the right guitar for my genre. I've waited 4 years and saved up close to 1000. Just wanna make sure I spend it in the right place. How are the ibanezes premium series? The epiphone less Paul's? The LTDs for this price? No schecters. They're really good solid guitars but just really inclined towards metal much like the iron label ibanezes series.
A Les Paul would probably suit you the best. Great blues tones, great hard rock tones, can even get some metally tones with the right pedal. A pickup change can get you higher output that doesn't put you into too high gain territory but can still be convincing, and with some careful volume and tone control you can get some decent bluesy tones too.

If you want an all rounder you will have to compromise on some of the tone you can get.

Maybe a second hand Les Paul Studio? I think you can get them for around that price used in the States IIRC.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
A Les Paul would probably suit you the best. Great blues tones, great hard rock tones, can even get some metally tones with the right pedal. A pickup change can get you higher output that doesn't put you into too high gain territory but can still be convincing, and with some careful volume and tone control you can get some decent bluesy tones too.

If you want an all rounder you will have to compromise on some of the tone you can get.

Maybe a second hand Les Paul Studio? I think you can get them for around that price used in the States IIRC.

I'm really not looking to change my pickups after I get the guitar. I honestly can't afford it
Quote by Mephaphil

It appals me that even 1000 bucks can't get you a real piece of equipment :/
Last edited by Shreyeder at Oct 5, 2014,
What do you mean?

A Gibson Les Paul Studio is a great piece of equipment. You need to compromise a little. A pickup change will cost you $150, save up a bit after you've researched it.

You want something that can do everything, and you can't get that, like I said, you'll need to compromise. You need to understand that the tonal qualities that make up different genres are very specific and are often not shared between the respective genres, but you can find similarities.

Good luck finding the amp that can give you all that range, because you will again have to compromise or buy more than one.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Mephaphil
What do you mean?

A Gibson Les Paul Studio is a great piece of equipment. You need to compromise a little. A pickup change will cost you $150, save up a bit after you've researched it.

You want something that can do everything, and you can't get that, like I said, you'll need to compromise. You need to understand that the tonal qualities that make up different genres are very specific and are often not shared between the respective genres, but you can find similarities.

Good luck finding the amp that can give you all that range, because you will again have to compromise or buy more than one.

Whoa I wasn't talking about the Gibson. There's no substitute to that. I was referring to the epiphone
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 5, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil

Since were talking less Paul's how about the ESPs? And this ones a lil off but how's the ibanezes iceman?
If you go used, you should be able to score a nice Gibson LP Studio for 600$, guaranteed.
However, for maximum versatility and playing SRV or Clapton, I'd go for a HSS strat or a PRS with coil-splitting humbuckers. They don't truly sound like single-coils, but get close, depends on pickups. I liked the PRS SE's a lot for that. Maybe if you saved a bit more, the PRS S2 would be close.
Then if you want a single-coil sound and don't really want to focus in the metal-area, I'd go for a strat. Hopefully one that you feel just home with and then install Fender's Active 25db Stratocaster Mid-Boost kit. That is really inexpensive and I really want to install one in my Squier
Ibanez Iceman is kinda... umm.. I don't know. The pickups in Ibanez Guitars (esp. new ones) are kinda crappy until the Premiums. Used, you might have luck that they've been changed.
Of ESP I can say enough that I don't like the necks on them. Not a single one, unless it's been copied (like a C-shape). I don't find the EC shape (that is kind of a single-cut, LP-esque) comfortable and to me the sharp horn looks a bit ridiculous

Now, with all of that said, a guitar won't do much if your amp/setup isn't up to the task. If you have a cheap/affordable solid-state amplifier, I don't think that going full $1000 on guitar would be the best option.
Those are my .02, hope it gives a bit guidance.

To add, basing any guitars to a genre is just pure bullshit. You can play blues with a Schecter Hellraiser and you can play metal with a Mexican Fender SSS strat.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Oct 5, 2014,
Used Gibson LP Studio
Epiphone LP Tribute
LTD EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans (though I'm not a huge fan of the JB)
PRS SE Singlecut

It all depends on what you want from the guitar specifically. The guitar itself doesn't play as significant a role in your final sound as people would have you believe. If you have a crap amp, what kind of pickups are in your guitar is going to be pretty irrelevant. All guitars can achieve all kinds of tones with a good enough amp, no matter how 'metal' it looks.

You need to ask yourself specific questions regarding a guitar's spec. Preferred fingerboard radius, neck profile, fretwire size, woods, aesthetic features etc.

You also need to be more realistic regarding what kind of players you want to emulate. The players that you've covered are too vastly different from one another to cover all of them. Make a compromise and ask yourself what kind of sounds is the most important, and the other tones, not so much.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 5, 2014,
Quote by Sakke
If you go used, you should be able to score a nice Gibson LP Studio for 600$, guaranteed.
However, for maximum versatility and playing SRV or Clapton, I'd go for a HSS strat or a PRS with coil-splitting humbuckers. They don't truly sound like single-coils, but get close, depends on pickups. I liked the PRS SE's a lot for that. Maybe if you saved a bit more, the PRS S2 would be close.
Then if you want a single-coil sound and don't really want to focus in the metal-area, I'd go for a strat. Hopefully one that you feel just home with and then install Fender's Active 25db Stratocaster Mid-Boost kit. That is really inexpensive and I really want to install one in my Squier
Ibanez Iceman is kinda... umm.. I don't know. The pickups in Ibanez Guitars (esp. new ones) are kinda crappy until the Premiums. Used, you might have luck that they've been changed.
Of ESP I can say enough that I don't like the necks on them. Not a single one, unless it's been copied (like a C-shape). I don't find the EC shape (that is kind of a single-cut, LP-esque) comfortable and to me the sharp horn looks a bit ridiculous

Now, with all of that said, a guitar won't do much if your amp/setup isn't up to the task. If you have a cheap/affordable solid-state amplifier, I don't think that going full $1000 on guitar would be the best option.
Those are my .02, hope it gives a bit guidance.

To add, basing any guitars to a genre is just pure bullshit. You can play blues with a Schecter Hellraiser and you can play metal with a Mexican Fender SSS strat.

Thanks a lot for the insight. The last line made all the difference. No I'm not into single coils and prefer the humbucker for most of my music. As I said..as much as I love the blues..I love metal too. Not hardcore death or black metal but probably upto the lamb of god marker I'd say. And their guitarist uses an LTD Led Paul so what you said now makes sense. I'm really really inclined towards and ibanez premium RG 970QMZ. I usually end up shredding on the pentatonics taking my ideas from the likes of Clapton and SRV. I don't play their style exactly. As for the amp I usually practice over senheisser headphones and have a decent multiefeffects pedal. I have a a standard marshal 25 watt. I can't play over my amp when I gig so its inconsequential. You think this does fine?
What 'standard 25w Marshall' do you have? Your amp is where a huge chunk of your tone will come from.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

IMHO, Reverend guitars are among the best all-rounders out there, and they are well within your budget. Given your genre selection, you might like a Kingbolt, Bayonet, Volcano (especially the RA models) or Reeves Gabrels signature guitars most. Their pickups will cover the most tonal territory.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?price_max=1000&query=Reverend&sort=price%7Casc&product_type=electric-guitars&make%5B%5D=reverend

I'd also give a hard look at Fernandes (having a clearance sale in their online shop), Electra, Godin (esp. the Redline series), Malden's Karma and Bad Karma and DBZs.

If- as Mephaphil suspects- you need a better amp as well, going used is your best option. I have found some decent deals for guitars and amps on eBay and Guitar Center's websites, but I also look in places like Elderly Instruments, Reverb, and Guitars and Effects.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 5, 2014,
Sweet, aren't they?

Speaking of wood...here's an unusual Gibson LP:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261589366476?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Reverend Sensei models. Either the HB or the RA model would b a good choice too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291211067446?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 5, 2014,
Where are you located? If you're in the US, there are a lot more choices than there are in the EU or UK, for example.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
IMHO, Reverend guitars are among the best all-rounders out there, and they are well within your budget. Given your genre selection, you might like a Kingbolt, Bayonet, Volcano (especially the RA models) or Reeves Gabrels signature guitars most. Their pickups will cover the most tonal territory.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?price_max=1000&query=Reverend&sort=price%7Casc&product_type=electric-guitars&make%5B%5D=reverend

I'd also give a hard look at Fernandes (having a clearance sale in their online shop), Electra, Godin (esp. the Redline series), Malden's Karma and Bad Karma and DBZs.

If- as Mephaphil suspects- you need a better amp as well, going used is your best option. I have found some decent deals for guitars and amps on eBay and Guitar Center's websites, but I also look in places like Elderly Instruments, Reverb, and Guitars and Effects.

Korina wood, ebony fretboards...very interesting. Will give it a try. Thanks (y)
So what amp do you have?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Yeah, I'm with Mephaphil, what is this amp exactly you have? Or the multi-effects pedal you use with your headphones?

I don't mean to slam you to the ground, man, but... If you go and try out guitars in a shop through a much better amplifier than what you have, you're going to be devastatingly disappointed. Same result if you expect a huge difference in your sound. I mean, of course it has an impact, but a Gibson Les Paul Studio through a Marshall MG30 sounds worse than a Strat knock-off through a Laney VC30, at least for me it's that way.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Yea man. We're together.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Look for an used PRS CE.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Gibson LP Studio Deluxe II '60s
PRS S2 Mira, Starla, Singlecut, or Custom- pretty much any of them. I highly recommend this line.

I like these options because they each have coil-splits, and they might suit your needs as SRV and some Clapton music takes better to single coils, and the metal/heavy rock you like will pretty much require humbuckers.
Quote by Shreyeder
I'm using a zoom
G2.1nu. With sennheisers HD 203s

Well, you didn't clarify the amp.
Most of us guitarists, while I do not try to speak for "all of us", like to have a good tube amp and blast out our notes. I at least do. While I am not able to do that home, I gladly do it twice a week at band rehearsals. I think your pedal could be good enough, but it totally puts one of my points above the surface. The difference in your tone between your current knock-off Korean copy of something and for example, a Gibson LP Studio, would not be too big. Not with that setup, no... You could get off with a lot more tweaking and getting to know your pedal much more.
However, playing comfort and feel are other things. Of course you should buy a new guitar if you find one that FEELS better for you, but then you need to ask yourself does it feel X times (X being the price difference of your current to the upgrade) better than your current guitar? I did that mistake when I almost bought a Jackson Soloist while I still had my Ibanez RG. It really didn't feel twice better than my RG and the Jackson cost twice more.

I can assure you, if you spent this money on an amp... You would get an amp that is 10 times better than your "standard 25W Marshall".
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

The only 25w Marshall I can find is the JCM 25 Silver Jubilee. I don't think they do a MG in 25w, so I'm genuinely curious TS, what amp do you have?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Alright I may have amped up the watts to avoid being pushed into the ground. Its a Marshall MG15CFX. Its solid state yeah. And aren't tube amps very expensive?
Good amps- tube or solid state- can be costly, but they're worth it. Good amps make you sound better, all around.

...which is one reason why many people shop for used amps.

crap amp will negate any positives of a good guitar. HSS strat sounds like what you need to me. I'd think real hard about getting a better amp and perhaps a decent midrange guitar with the money you have. perhaps a MIM strat and something like a Jet City. spending a grand on an axe only to play it through what you have now is a waste of money
Quote by Shreyeder
Alright I may have amped up the watts to avoid being pushed into the ground. Its a Marshall MG15CFX. Its solid state yeah. And aren't tube amps very expensive?

You were getting pushed into the ground anyway. People who describe their amp with as detailed description as 'Marshall 25 watt', don't fool anyone here. They're nearly always MG's.

Tube amps generally are more expensive, yes. But that's like asking why good guitars are generally more expensive. When discussing the quality of amps in the same price range as the MG15, you get what you pay for. A guitar going into an MG is going to sound like it's going through an MG no matter how fancy a guitar it is. So yeah, imo you need to get your priorities right.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I was pretty sure it would be something like that. I'd split the amp and guitar cost to roughly equal. A used LP Studio is $600, then you can get a decent used Marshall DSL50 or Laney VC50 or Fender Bassman or something with the remaining.

Basically, you can get a new guitar, or a used guitar and a used amp. You definitely need a new amp.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

OK so I've given some thought to it and it obviously seems you guys know a lot and what you said seems right to me. So I'm thinking of going with an ibanez 370FMZ for which I'll save money and upgrade to Seymour duncuns. I was thinking that Of a vox valvotronix 30W. I still save up a couple of dollars which I'll use for the pickups. And my pedal seems alright as of now. Opinions?
Last edited by Shreyeder at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Shreyeder
OK so I've given some thought to it and it obviously seems you guys know a lot and what you said seems right to me. So I'm thinking of going with an ibanez 370FMZ for which I'll save money and upgrade to Seymour duncuns. I was thinking that Of a vox valvotronix 30W. I still save up a couple of dollars which I'll use for the pickups. And my medal seems alright as of now. Opinions?

For what styles of music you're going for, get a Peavey Vypyr. It's the best cheap modelling amp on the market. The 370 is an okay Ibanez, but avoid getting a Floyd Rose bridge if you don't plan on using it's functionality all that much, and if you're not willing to pull your own hair out the first few times you try to set it up. Relatively little is known about the quality of the Edge Zero II bridge too. Supposedly it's better than the old Edge III bridge, but that doesn't say much. Almost anything was better than the Edge III. If you plan on changing tunings often, which you're likely to do given your choice of artists to emulate, I wouldn't recommend a floyd, especially not for a beginner.

Don't worry about new pickups right now either. That should be relatively low on your priority list.

The fact that early on in the thread, you were interested in getting a singlecut, and now you're thinking of getting a doublecut Ibanez with a Floyd Rose, suggests to me that you really don't know enough about what you want from a guitar. If that is true, I'd suggest that you go to a guitar store, and try as many different guitars as you can, and developing your preferences from that experience. Then ask yourself what guitar you want.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
For what styles of music you're going for, get a Peavey Vypyr. It's the best cheap modelling amp on the market. The 370 is an okay Ibanez, but avoid getting a Floyd Rose bridge if you don't plan on using it's functionality all that much, and if you're not willing to pull your own hair out the first few times you try to set it up. Relatively little is known about the quality of the Edge Zero II bridge too. Supposedly it's better than the old Edge III bridge, but that doesn't say much. Almost anything was better than the Edge III. If you plan on changing tunings often, which you're likely to do given your choice of artists to emulate, I wouldn't recommend a floyd, especially not for a beginner.

Don't worry about new pickups right now either. That should be relatively low on your priority list.

The fact that early on in the thread, you were interested in getting a singlecut, and now you're thinking of getting a doublecut Ibanez with a Floyd Rose, suggests to me that you really don't know enough about what you want from a guitar. If that is true, I'd suggest that you go to a guitar store, and try as many different guitars as you can, and developing your preferences from that experience. Then ask yourself what guitar you want.

I was never keen on a single cut. The only guitar I mention was the ibanez 970QMZ premium. A high end RG compared to the 370. Also the issue with my Korean strat is that the neck sucks. Big time. 95$ isn't much. Still pickups are pretty receptive. And the neck is really difficult to move fast on. You can barely shred. I've tried my hand on one of the RG170s and saw my skill just drastically rise up. I just can't explain the surprise when you can sweep tap an arpeggio on someone else's guitar in 5 tries which you could never do on your guitar. Im more concerned with feel than sound. When I'm gigging, all I'm going to be using us my pedal. Not my amps. I'm obviously using the amps at the venue. Be it HRC Pune(I've stayed in India for along time before coming to the states) where I've performed or some local cheap band event. I'm from a lower middle class family so haven't got much experience on expensive gear such as guitar or amps. Hell I don't remember the last time I went to a guitar store. But I sure as hell can give some rich kid a run for his money when it comes to playing the guitar. I know that all the big dudes like van halen started with crappy guitars and could tap at 300 BPM or whstever the hell they did. But I bet I'm the only one who knows on this forum how shitty gear can limit your skills from progressing. Ive always been impressed with how smooth and easy playing the ibanez necks are. That's the thing
Last edited by Shreyeder at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Mephaphil
I was pretty sure it would be something like that. I'd split the amp and guitar cost to roughly equal. A used LP Studio is $600, then you can get a decent used Marshall DSL50 or Laney VC50 or Fender Bassman or something with the remaining.

Basically, you can get a new guitar, or a used guitar and a used amp. You definitely need a new amp.

Isn't DSL 50 an amp head?
Quote by Shreyeder
I was never keen on a single cut. The only guitar I mention was the ibanez 970QMZ premium. A high end RG compared to the 370.

Well you did mention getting an Epiphone Les Paul (which is considered a singlecut guitar) in the OP, and you never said you didn't want a singlecut when people suggested them, until only right now.
Also the issue with my Korean strat is that the neck sucks. Big time. 95$ isn't much. Still pickups are pretty receptive. And the neck is really difficult to move fast on. You can barely shred. I've tried my hand on one of the RG170s and saw my skill just drastically rise up. I just can't explain the surprise when you can sweep tap an arpeggio on someone else's guitar in 5 tries which you could never do on your guitar. Im more concerned with feel than sound. When I'm gigging, all I'm going to be using us my pedal. Not my amps. I'm obviously using the amps at the venue. Be it HRC Pune(I've stayed in India for along time before coming to the states) where I've performed or some local cheap band event. I'm from a lower middle class family so haven't got much experience on expensive gear such as guitar or amps. Hell I don't remember the last time I went to a guitar store. But I sure as hell can give some rich kid a run for his money when it comes to playing the guitar. I know that all the big dudes like van halen started with crappy guitars and could tap at 300 BPM or whstever the hell they did. But I bet I'm the only one who knows how I feels how shitty gear can limit your skills from progressing. Ive always been impressed with how smooth and easy playing the ibanez necks are. That's the thing

Well if you're living in the US now (correct me if I'm wrong), then there is nothing stopping you from going to a local guitar store like Guitar Center or Sam Ash and trying out a bunch of guitars. You might have to travel quite a distance to find a decent store, but imo the experience of playing a wide diversity of guitars is too valuable to miss if the opportunity is available to you.

And don't worry too much about how other people play compared to you. Guitar and musicianship is an artform, not a contest of how fast people can sweep pick. People are not going to appreciate your company with an attitude like that.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 6, 2014,
Geez, if you're in the states, you should probably also be looking at Carvins. A new DC-145 (HSH) can be had for $899 plus case and shipping (and be warned, the spectacular woods and finishes available can have you thinking of a version that will learn toward double that). The two pickup models start at around $849. Standard ebony fretboards, 24 frets, 25" scale, awesome fretwork, extremely comfortable necks, low action (they will deliver action as low as 1/16th" at the 24th fret with no buzzing frets) and an absolutely smooth neck heel. I order mine with straight/beveled body sides (they're also available with rounded body sides) because the rounded versions slide right off my lap. Options include stainless frets, different fretboard radii, a number of choices of bridge, and even choices of headstock.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 6, 2014,