ive been learning the song american idiot by green day i havent learned the entire song but i know parts of it. my question is when i practise my left hand starts to hurt after about an hour is this normal and how can i keep this from happening?
That doesn't sound very good - it shouldn't be taking anywhere near an hour to learn a green day song.......
It should not hurt. Pain = bad.

How long have you been playing? Are you applying more pressure than needed to fret the notes? What angle is your wrist at? There are many variables that can explain why this is happening.

ChrisT, don't assume such things. We are all on the same road of learning guitar, but at different places. A beginner might very well have trouble learning a Green Day song.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Oct 5, 2014,
i suck very bad at guitar i know enough to be a informed noob and thats about it i try to practise aleast once a day sometimes its just a quick 15-30 mins sometimes i play for over an hour
You should really find a good teacher to take a look at your technique. You shouldn't be in pain after just an hour, unless you're using ridiculous gauge strings. Do you have your thumb in the wrong position? This is often the cause of bad left hand technique. Take a look at some technique masters like Paul Gilbert or Guthrie Govan and compare your position with theirs.
Till you suss this, don't play longer than say 20 minutes without a 5 minute break.

There are plenty of stretches for waming up (neck, shoulders, arms, hands) and down. You should definitely be doing these.

You need a teacher to show you correct technique. You should never be in pain.
I don't think it's a very big problem if you are a beginner. I experienced back pain, pain in my hands, arms and everything but after a while you will find your comfortable position and feel no pain. Pain in the left hand will disappear after a while once you build up your strength and if you are fretting from the right angle. As for playing time you should play how long you want to until you feel he pain. Gradually the pain will go away and you will be able to play how much you want.

Now if you've been playing for some time, persistent back pain or even maybe leg pain indicates that your body position is wrong, and if you have persistent pain in your hands you're probably fretting from the wrong angle. It can easily be fixed by looking at some experienced guitarists or asking a guitar teacher to show the right positions to you.
Quote by xxxxChrisTxxxx
That doesn't sound very good - it shouldn't be taking anywhere near an hour to learn a green day song.......

Quote by old shatterhand
I don't think it's a very big problem if you are a beginner. I experienced back pain, pain in my hands, arms and everything but after a while you will find your comfortable position and feel no pain. Pain in the left hand will disappear after a while once you build up your strength and if you are fretting from the right angle. As for playing time you should play how long you want to until you feel he pain. Gradually the pain will go away and you will be able to play how much you want.

Yeah I think it's normal to have some soreness in your hand when you are first starting out. You are making weird shapes with your fingers and using muscles that have never been used before. My fretting hand was pretty sore when first learning barre chords especially, but over time that stopped happening.

It's certainly possible that mr42ndstblvd is having problems with technique too, but it's hard to say without seeing them play. Sickz had some good advice about not fretting notes harder than is needed, and playing at a comfortable angle. Some people tilt their guitars on their lap so they can see the fretboard more easily, but that makes it so you have to bend your wrist more. A lot of people play with their guitar too low also when standing up, which again requires more wrist bending.
Start out with some Ramones. The rhythm is very basic. 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 OK next chord. And it's all downstrokes and barre chords and it's fun. My hand feels like it's on fire after playing two of their songs in a row but I usually just play their greatest hits for a good practice. I'm sorry, but Green Day is actually pretty difficult if it's the first thing you're learning. The rhythm changes all over the place so it's not that easy for a beginner. Don't let these people discourage you. Some people like myself need time to find things out. Teachers are great but they can only teach you so much. You have to really feel the song in order to play it properly. But like I said, work on some Ramones. very fun songs to cover!