Ok so i've seen countless people who have Tube Screamer (or Tube Screamer clones) on their pedal board now although i notice a difference is tone and sound quality what i'm wondering is what is the point of a tube screamer, surely if you're already using got a dirty tone and want it louder, you just crank up the volume a tad, or am i mis-understanding why people use tube screamers?
It will tighten the overall tone, give you a bit more punch in the mid range.

Using them as a boost also lets you keep the actual gain on the amp lower so your signal hits the amp harder and it doesn't get mushy/muddy as easy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use mine to further enhance and fine tune aspects of my tone.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Its used to push the preamp harder, not to make things louder. You can use less gain on the amp while still getting as much distortion thanks to harder pushing. It just usually sounds better than just cranking the gain to extreme saturation. Tubescreamer is also used for its EQ properties. It bumps the mids and cuts the bass before distortion happens, which also results in tighter and cleaner sound.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ +1

Quote by Robbgnarly
It will tighten the overall tone, give you a bit more punch in the mid range.

Using them as a boost also lets you keep the actual gain on the amp lower so your signal hits the amp harder and it doesn't get mushy/muddy as easy.

+1

I used to wonder what was the point too.

Then I tried it.

I can't believe I didn't try it sooner. In fact I kick myself I didn't try it sooner.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This is the video I keep going back to when this question is asked. Tried to find others, but they're usually too long or the production isn't clear enough to tell the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE5xKkFaZdE

Overdrives are wonderful.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
^+1

that is what most people use an OD for now-a-days. many bands were also known to use them in front of old marshalls for similar reasons. i use it on my jtm45 clone to make it a bit dirty sounding, else i'd have to crank it pretty loud for it to get that way.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
There should be a sticky thread on top of GG&A for "why and how to use a TS or TS-type pedal in front of your amp". Hopefully it would come up in a Google search
Maybe even include the top 5 of budget, top 5 of versatile and top 5 of authentic in there too and see which pedal gets into all 3 categories. Just a thought
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Oct 5, 2014,
Quote by Sakke
There should be a sticky thread on top of GG&A for "why and how to use a TS or TS-type pedal in front of your amp". Hopefully it would come up in a Google search
Maybe even include the top 5 of budget, top 5 of versatile and top 5 of authentic in there too and see which pedal gets into all 3 categories. Just a thought

+1 on this idea
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Quote by Sakke

yeah i'm in the process of writing a sticky and I was meaning to put in a bit about using a boost etc. EDIT: by that i mean I've already done that bit but the sticky is nowhere near ready. I think i really need to start again cos they're an absolute nightmare to write and you constantly have to keep revising it when you remember something else you forgot etc.

stay tuned, at the current rate it might be ready some time this century. no promises.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A standard old school way of doing things is this:
Set the gain and volume of the amp so you get your rhythm crunch sound.
Wind back the guitar volume a tad to get your clean sounds
Kick in an overdrive to get your more distorted lead sound.

You can also do it just with the guitar volume but an overdrive is more convenient because you can have the guitar volume at full for everything but cleans. So you know exactly where you are, you've effectively turned a single channel amp into a 3 channel amp.
I have also seen an overdrive used to cut the signal (although an EQ is better) so you don't have to touch your volume at all - one OD for cleans, one for lead and both off for crunch.

They can also be used to push the preamp of your amp into territory it cannot otherwise get to.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i'm in the process of writing a sticky and I was meaning to put in a bit about using a boost etc. EDIT: by that i mean I've already done that bit but the sticky is nowhere near ready. I think i really need to start again cos they're an absolute nightmare to write and you constantly have to keep revising it when you remember something else you forgot etc.

stay tuned, at the current rate it might be ready some time this century. no promises.

Well, get it on and going. Just like almost every other FAQ, they're never totally ready on the first launch.
I don't mind writing something out. I mean, now I can feel the flames, but I don't really use a TS-type pedal for what most guitarists use it for these days. I did for a long time use one as a solo boost, but then I got a mid-boost pedal that also boosts the front end of my amp. So, it's like a mix of a TS and Catalinbread's Naga Viper
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

I already have that bit (more or less) written

it's the other stuff that's holding it back

also there's probably no interest, most people don't read them

EDIT: Just to clarify- I'm not trying to put you guys off from helping. Before I post them out in the open to be stickied I'm going to get all you regulars' input (if you can be bothered). Just they're nowhere near that point yet. I really need to start writing them again, I've been a bit busy lately trying to get the house sort of tidy, which has been making me too lazy to bother writing the stickies
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Tcrumpen
Ok so i've seen countless people who have Tube Screamer (or Tube Screamer clones) on their pedal board now although i notice a difference is tone and sound quality what i'm wondering is what is the point of a tube screamer, surely if you're already using got a dirty tone and want it louder, you just crank up the volume a tad, or am i mis-understanding why people use tube screamers?

It's good for making your sound warmer. You don't need to turn up your drive level. you can use tone and lever to make you sound booster, also in a clean sound. It is a very useful pedal for any music. Also you can use it before hi gain pedals, it will make your sound more balanced.
Last edited by ghostnastromo at Oct 6, 2014,
yeah we just covered this in another thread...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Don't have a Tube Screamer, my overdrive pedal is a Marshall Bluesbreaker, but it's the same thing, just a different name.

My band usually plays at a fairly low volume level. I use it though a clean Fender Super Reverb, volume rarely above 4 or so, OD pedal gain set pretty high so it introduces a little distortion, and the level set a little higher than the amp volume, so I have a clean sound with just the amp, and the OD pedal for leads and dirty rhythm parts. I also use a volume pedal so I never have to touch the knobs, that also lets me pull the volume back for rhythm parts without losing much treble at all when I need the OD pedal for that. I also have a distortion pedal but rarely use it. The Marshall OD pedal covers 90% of what I need.

Sounds just as good as the amp cranked wide open, but I can get that sound at bedroom volume levels. With the amp maxed, it just makes it a little dirtier and at any volume level it accents a lot of the rig's natural harmonic qualities. My favorite though, is running it through the Normal channel, everything maxed out...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Cranking the gain on the amp will sound nothing like boosting it with a tube screamer. It will make the tone more pronounces, the attack of your notes sharper and more defined. It'll sound less muddy. It's great especially if you like to palm mute. I never use a high gain metal tone without a boost, just sounds bad to me.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline