Hey there! I run a line 6 pod HD pro through a peavey classic 50/50 power amp. It's a 2 channel power amp that run at 50 W mono or 100 W stereo. I was wondering if it was possible to run a Y adapter through both outputs into my speaker cab to run it at 100W and if so, if anyone can recommend me a decent Y adapter.

Thanks so much!
Cheers!
What is the model of the power amp? If it can deliver 50W stereo it should have a "bridge output", which is the mono output.
First of all, no you can't do that.

Then, the amp is a 100w amp - that means it has two 50w channels, and it can run in stereo putting out 50w per channel, so 50w per channel in stereo.
On the contrary, if you run it in mono (if you can even do it, I don't really know) it will put up 100w on a single channel, so 100w mono.

A Y cable would destroy it though - one output will try to drive the other, the impedance of both will drop and you'll fry the output section.

Run it in mono (still, if you can) and connect it with one cable to the cab.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by nor.omar.9
That adapter is for low power signals. Not a good idea. Plus you shouldn't short outputs of a stereo amp together. So two bad ideas.
Quote by fly135
That adapter is for low power signals.
Just an addend to this - while the thing would not harm anything if it involved lower power outputs, it will still be everything but ideal.

One input will still drive the other and so on.

It works good for splitting signals but not for putting them back together.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Gave it a shot and sadly with the pod this thing at 100W is not loud enough =\
Sounds very weak for 100w imo. I'll do more research to see if I can make the volume any higher through the pod somehow but with the master on max on my pod and levels on max for my power amp, this thing is just not strong enough.

Thanks for the help everyone
Some stereo amps can be run in mono mode -- usually that's a "bridged" mode and the amp is designed to do it.

If there's no bridged mode, then it can't be run mono. Spambot is on the money -- if you put a Y cable on there, you're going to smoke the amp.

At a guess, if you flip that mono/stereo switch on the back of the amp to "Mono", you'll get 100W into an 8 ohm speaker cabinet.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 5, 2014,
Quote by nor.omar.9
Hey there! I run a line 6 pod HD pro through a peavey classic 50/50 power amp. It's a 2 channel power amp that run at 50 W mono or 100 W stereo. I was wondering if it was possible to run a Y adapter through both outputs into my speaker cab to run it at 100W and if so, if anyone can recommend me a decent Y adapter.

As an aside, I have a Carvin TS-100 (50W/50W stereo tube amp) that will allow me to run 100W bridged, mono, into 8 ohms. It was pretty good, but I eventually went with a 1500W that put out about 850W bridged, mono, into 8 ohms and 1500W bridged, mono, into 4 ohms. I have two cabinets that will easily handle 900W each, and the extra power was SO useful.
Careful examination of the picture of the rear panel of this amp shows that it has a bridging switch. To run in mono select mono and plug into one of the top speaker output sockets. In bridge mono you need a 2, 4 or 8 ohm 100W speaker. It will drive a 16 ohm 100W speaker but at reduced power. No Y adaptor is necessary on the output (not good idea anyway).
Last edited by PSimonR at Oct 5, 2014,