I know that Dan plays through several vintage amps, etc, and nobody will recreate his exact sound....but, if you were to buy one fuzz or other type of pedal to get as close as possible, which would you choose?
I think he uses a Russian Big Muff and a Black Kat fuzz.

What song are you looking for?

also current gear would be helpfull and GG&A guys would prolly know more pedals then people here.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
From my experience through what I play, the traditional US made Big Muff Pi can come pretty close.
Quote by fLYinGV23
From my experience through what I play, the traditional US made Big Muff Pi can come pretty close.

The Muff isn’t even a fuzz.

Auerbach’s recorded distortion tones almost all come from an Ibanez Super Fuzz, which is a copy of a Univox fuzz. The Black Cat Ultra Fuzz is a copy of the same Univox.
Quote by jpnyc
The Muff isn’t even a fuzz.

Auerbach’s recorded distortion tones almost all come from an Ibanez Super Fuzz, which is a copy of a Univox fuzz. The Black Cat Ultra Fuzz is a copy of the same Univox.

You do know he mostly uses a Russian made Big Muff, right? If you want that sound, but can't afford $250 for the pedal, the American made old school one is your best bet.
Quote by fLYinGV23
You do know he mostly uses a Russian made Big Muff, right? If you want that sound, but can't afford $250 for the pedal, the American made old school one is your best bet.

I was specifically referring to his recordings, not his live playing. Did you miss the part where I specifically said he used the Ibanez for “recorded distortion fuzz”? Yes you did! So you probably also missed Auerbach’s quotes like this one:

“I’ve got shelves of pedals—sick amounts of pedals. But I swear, I use the same pedals I’ve always played. I bought an early-1970s Ibanez Standard Fuzz pedal—the octave fuzz with the two sliders. I’ve been using it since the first record, and I cannot top it. It’s got two basic tones, bassy or trebly, and I use it on bass and guitar. It’s just wild. I also use those green Sovtek Big Muffs on the road.

Anyway, the current USA Big Muff isn’t close to the Green Sovtek Muffs. Not that there was even a consistent design for the Green Sovtek Muffs. But the Bass Big Muff is based one of the Green Sovtek Muffs.
When I was looking for a fuzz, The Black Keys were of the tone references I was using.

I got a Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina, which is an IC Big Muff clone with a couple of upgrades, and I'm extremely happy with it. Definitely check it out.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by jpnyc
I was specifically referring to his recordings, not his live playing. Did you miss the part where I specifically said he used the Ibanez for “recorded distortion fuzz”? Yes you did! So you probably also missed Auerbach’s quotes like this one:

“I’ve got shelves of pedals—sick amounts of pedals. But I swear, I use the same pedals I’ve always played. I bought an early-1970s Ibanez Standard Fuzz pedal—the octave fuzz with the two sliders. I’ve been using it since the first record, and I cannot top it. It’s got two basic tones, bassy or trebly, and I use it on bass and guitar. It’s just wild. I also use those green Sovtek Big Muffs on the road.

Anyway, the current USA Big Muff isn’t close to the Green Sovtek Muffs. Not that there was even a consistent design for the Green Sovtek Muffs. But the Bass Big Muff is based one of the Green Sovtek Muffs.

You also missed where I said "From my experience through what I play." Which regards my rig. I can get an almost spot on match for the tone using a standard large box Big Muff. And the Bass Big Muff thing is more or less wrong. I researched that when I was trying to get a Sovtek but then saw the price