I'm looking for a thin body acoustic guitar $400 or less. I am not worried about tone/sound/strength of bass. I'm a beginner guitarist looking for something low-priced and thin (4" depth or less, but preferably around 3"-2"). If it is aimed towards electric guitar players, even better! I play an electric right now. I'm hoping to find something that is well constructed and preferably blue (I know, I know, it's cosmetic but I really like blue). Low action and thin neck are all pluses!
i looked for a good-sounding thin body budget acoustic guitar quite a lot. most have tone ranging from boxy to crap. one exception was the fender tim armstrong hellcat, and i'm not really sure if it's as thin as you're looking for, but it seemed thinner than most. also if you're concerned about cosmetics, chances are it's not the guitar for you - i sort of like it, and the tone was the best i could find in a slim bodied less expensive guitar. i like the sound of the solid mahogany top and suspect the maple neck helps combat the boxiness.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
i looked for a good-sounding thin body budget acoustic guitar quite a lot. most have tone ranging from boxy to crap. one exception was the fender tim armstrong hellcat, and i'm not really sure if it's as thin as you're looking for, but it seemed thinner than most. also if you're concerned about cosmetics, chances are it's not the guitar for you - i sort of like it, and the tone was the best i could find in a slim bodied less expensive guitar. i like the sound of the solid mahogany top and suspect the maple neck helps combat the boxiness.

The website says 2.24" which is really thin! Perfect if that is the full body depth. I actually don't mind the look of the guitar minus the skulls. I should have mentioned that I'm open to acoustic electrics too. I know ibanez has a really thin USB model but I heard iffy things about that brand.
Quote by DropofOcean
The website says 2.24" which is really thin! Perfect if that is the full body depth. I actually don't mind the look of the guitar minus the skulls. I should have mentioned that I'm open to acoustic electrics too. I know ibanez has a really thin USB model but I heard iffy things about that brand.

You've heard bad things about Ibanez?
I've honestly never heard any reports of bad build quality at all. The only bad things I've heard have been down to personal preference.

If you have a music store nearby, try loads. Try some full depth ones too.
Quote by DropofOcean
The website says 2.24" which is really thin! Perfect if that is the full body depth. I actually don't mind the look of the guitar minus the skulls. I should have mentioned that I'm open to acoustic electrics too.
Which is good, since there's virtually no point to buying a thin body acoustic, unless you have every intention of plugging it in.
Quote by DropofOcean
I know ibanez has a really thin USB model but I heard iffy things about that brand.
OK, Ibanez' most common line of slim A/E guitars, is their, "Talman" series. The lower end of that line, has a magnetic pickup, single coil IIRC. That's not really optimal for an acoustic. For all the complaining acoustic elitists do about them, peizo pickups are really the best solution for low to mid line guitars.

Now, whatever the build quality may or may not be, the Talmans are pretty much worthless for playing unplugged. I have my suspicions they're not that good plugged in either.

Now, I appreciate where you're coming from with respect to body depth. A thin body is certainly easier to play strapped and standing, than a full size acoustic. Plus, there isn't the shock to the system that involves putting the solid body on that stand, and having to deal with a suddenly 2 or 2 1/5 times thicker guitar.

That being said, if you can get past that difficulty, or at least get used to it, you will be able to get better sound, either plugged in, or otherwise, from a big body guitar.

A some of the thin body stuff is, "trash with flash", and most are quite bright, even penetrating, so it can be used as lead instrument, more so than as a rhythm box.

Thin body Ovations are notorious for this. If you can play lead, they sound grrrr-8. If you're a little weak in the lead guitar department, one of them might be the worst thing that could happen to you.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by DropofOcean
I'm looking for a thin body acoustic guitar $400 or less. I am not worried about tone/sound/strength of bass. I'm a beginner guitarist looking for something low-priced and thin (4" depth or less, but preferably around 3"-2"). If it is aimed towards electric guitar players, even better! I play an electric right now. I'm hoping to find something that is well constructed and preferably blue (I know, I know, it's cosmetic but I really like blue). Low action and thin neck are all pluses!

I think is the best guitars for beginning is Yamaha, they are cheap, but they sound good, also they easy to play, and Yamaha have a big line of models. So you can find a good one for you.
Quote by DropofOcean

Look a Yamaha FS720S. I have this one, a had a opportunity to buy more expensive guitar, but when i have played on this one i decided to buy her. It sounds really good.
Quote by CorrosionMedia
You've heard bad things about Ibanez?
I've honestly never heard any reports of bad build quality at all. The only bad things I've heard have been down to personal preference.

If you have a music store nearby, try loads. Try some full depth ones too.

I was doing research on the AEF30E and the AEG240 both from Ibanez and ran across a few comments from searches about Ibanez using cheap wood on their acoustic lower end models. There's actually a thread from this website about it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-1268646.html

I really do like the thin acoustics they have, though. And the AEG240 is all Fishman electronics but I worry about the quality of the wood. $400 is a lot for me to pay for an acoustic. I suspect I could get a better guitar from Washburn, but it wouldn't be as thin or have a blue model. This is the Washburn I was looking at: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Washburn-Festival-EA15A-Spruce-Top-With-Flame-Maple-Veneer-Acoustic-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar-With-4-Band-EQ-110137486-i1529223.gc
Quote by Captaincranky
Which is good, since there's virtually no point to buying a thin body acoustic, unless you have every intention of plugging it in. OK, Ibanez' most common line of slim A/E guitars, is their, "Talman" series. The lower end of that line, has a magnetic pickup, single coil IIRC. That's not really optimal for an acoustic. For all the complaining acoustic elitists do about them, peizo pickups are really the best solution for low to mid line guitars.

Now, whatever the build quality may or may not be, the Talmans are pretty much worthless for playing unplugged. I have my suspicions they're not that good plugged in either.

Now, I appreciate where you're coming from with respect to body depth. A thin body is certainly easier to play strapped and standing, than a full size acoustic. Plus, there isn't the shock to the system that involves putting the solid body on that stand, and having to deal with a suddenly 2 or 2 1/5 times thicker guitar.

That being said, if you can get past that difficulty, or at least get used to it, you will be able to get better sound, either plugged in, or otherwise, from a big body guitar.

A some of the thin body stuff is, "trash with flash", and most are quite bright, even penetrating, so it can be used as lead instrument, more so than as a rhythm box.

Thin body Ovations are notorious for this. If you can play lead, they sound grrrr-8. If you're a little weak in the lead guitar department, one of them might be the worst thing that could happen to you.

I am 100% sure that a full-bodied acoustic would play great but I'm looking for something that's not only comfortable and familiar to me, but also portable without being a smaller in length guitar. My standard for sound from a guitar is really low because I pay my electric unplugged all the time to prevent disturbing my upstairs neighbor. This explains my lack of concern for tone. I intend to play the guitar unplugged for the most part, but might get a portable amp.
Quote by Tube_silence
Look a Yamaha FS720S. I have this one, a had a opportunity to buy more expensive guitar, but when i have played on this one i decided to buy her. It sounds really good.

Holy moses! That is a beautiful guitar! And it comes in blue. I wonder what the depth is though. It's not listed on Musician's Friend or on the Yamaha website.

*edit*
Woops, looks like it is on the website. It's listed at 4 3/4". That is pretty big but I might have to go try it at a store and see if I can live with that depth size.
Last edited by DropofOcean at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by DropofOcean
I was doing research on the AEF30E and the AEG240 both from Ibanez and ran across a few comments from searches about Ibanez using cheap wood on their acoustic lower end models. There's actually a thread from this website about it:
Well, everybody's trying to skimp on the little bit of wood that remains in the world. That said, I have 2 big body Ibanez acoustics. The QC seems fine, but they're not the best sounding guitars unplugged. They're both all laminate, giving them at once reason and excuse for their unplugged tone.

Actually, my AEL10 is fairly pleasant sounding unplugged with a set of brass strings on it. My "Exotic Wood", (EW20 Ash), is more of a, "plug me in or leave me on the stand type of affair".
Quote by DropofOcean
Holy moses! That is a beautiful guitar! And it comes in blue. I wonder what the depth is though. It's not listed on Musician's Friend or on the Yamaha website.

*edit*
Woops, looks like it is on the website. It's listed at 4 3/4". That is pretty big but I might have to go try it at a store and see if I can live with that depth size.

Musician's Friend has this thin line Yamaha as a restock. It's all laminate, but it's AE w/cutaway and is cheap as a restock: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-apx500ii-thinline-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar/h75594

BTW, "4 3/4" is about as deep as guitars get. Body width is much less of a hassle if you're sitting down to play. You can sort of rest your upper arm on the upper bout, or tilt the guitar in your lap.

The reverse is true with some semi-hollow and solid body designs. The proximity of the guitar's waist to the end of the neck, jambs you up somewhat when trying to play high up on the neck. (The effect kicks in much sooner than when playing standing, as the guitar's waist is fixed across your leg).
I think GS mini is great although its cost is over your need

I owned one. And it's always my companion on camping
A Penny Strumming
Quote by DropofOcean
I was doing research on the AEF30E and the AEG240 both from Ibanez and ran across a few comments from searches about Ibanez using cheap wood on their acoustic lower end models. There's actually a thread from this website about it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/archive/index.php?t-1268646.html

I really do like the thin acoustics they have, though. And the AEG240 is all Fishman electronics but I worry about the quality of the wood. $400 is a lot for me to pay for an acoustic. I suspect I could get a better guitar from Washburn, but it wouldn't be as thin or have a blue model. This is the Washburn I was looking at: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Washburn-Festival-EA15A-Spruce-Top-With-Flame-Maple-Veneer-Acoustic-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar-With-4-Band-EQ-110137486-i1529223.gc

I have the AEF30E and I think it's an excellent guitar. The wood on the body is all maple, solid top and laminated sides and back I believe. The build quality and fretboard is excellent, doesn't seem cheap at all. The sound is quite good I think. It doesn't have the volume, bass or the tone richness of a full bodied guitar but I don't think any thinline guitar will. However it doesn't sound bad by any means. The fretboard is very flat which makes it great for barre chords. IDK why Ibanez gets knocked by some for their acoustics, maybe because of the talman or the fact that they are better known for electrics. Now whether the AEF30E is worth $400, IDK. I bought mine used for $175. Yamaha has thinline that looks nice and I think is in the same price range.

I have a Washburn also, the harvest series WD7s. It's a beautiful and great sounding guitar. Mine isn't electric though. You can get the acoustic/electric version with cutout for $250 and I'd probably recommend that over any thin bodied guitar, unless you're obsessed with a thin body for some reason. The AEF30E is only an inch thinner than full size dreadnaught and you don't really notice the difference when playing. I have long arms though.
Quote by Captaincranky
Musician's Friend has this thin line Yamaha as a restock. It's all laminate, but it's AE w/cutaway and is cheap as a restock: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-apx500ii-thinline-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar/h75594

BTW, "4 3/4" is about as deep as guitars get. Body width is much less of a hassle if you're sitting down to play. You can sort of rest your upper arm on the upper bout, or tilt the guitar in your lap.

The reverse is true with some semi-hollow and solid body designs. The proximity of the guitar's waist to the end of the neck, jambs you up somewhat when trying to play high up on the neck. (The effect kicks in much sooner than when playing standing, as the guitar's waist is fixed across your leg).

Well, that goes to show how much I know about guitars. :P I thought there were 6" ones out there. My assumption was that was the normal size for acoustics. And thanks for the link! That guitar looks pretty damaged though. I'm checking out the new ones.

Looks like eBay has some good deals on some blemished, new guitars. I would be willing to go that route too to get a good deal. I am really interested in the 3" ones, though. What about the Fenders? They have the Stratacoustics and Telecoustics although they admittedly look very weird.
Quote by rohash
I have the AEF30E and I think it's an excellent guitar. The wood on the body is all maple, solid top and laminated sides and back I believe. The build quality and fretboard is excellent, doesn't seem cheap at all. The sound is quite good I think. It doesn't have the volume, bass or the tone richness of a full bodied guitar but I don't think any thinline guitar will. However it doesn't sound bad by any means. The fretboard is very flat which makes it great for barre chords. IDK why Ibanez gets knocked by some for their acoustics, maybe because of the talman or the fact that they are better known for electrics. Now whether the AEF30E is worth $400, IDK. I bought mine used for $175. Yamaha has thinline that looks nice and I think is in the same price range.

I have a Washburn also, the harvest series WD7s. It's a beautiful and great sounding guitar. Mine isn't electric though. You can get the acoustic/electric version with cutout for $250 and I'd probably recommend that over any thin bodied guitar, unless you're obsessed with a thin body for some reason. The AEF30E is only an inch thinner than full size dreadnaught and you don't really notice the difference when playing. I have long arms though.

Thanks for the info! I am kind of obsessed with a thin body/thinline guitar. I really want the guitar to be portable without sacraficing on full length width. I'm glad to know the guitar plays well. Did you by chance pick up an AEG240 at the store and try that out? I saw one on eBay for a good price at around $270. Am strongly considering it.
Quote by DropofOcean
Well, that goes to show how much I know about guitars. :P I thought there were 6" ones out there. My assumption was that was the normal size for acoustics. And thanks for the link! That guitar looks pretty damaged though. I'm checking out the new ones.
I'm not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion.. The pictures on the page look like the stock display pics, and most likely have nothing to do with the particular guitar they're offering as a "restock".

I'm thinking that particular model has, (or had, if it's a discon), a $280.00 to S320.00 day to day sell).

M'sF has a liberal return policy. You may be able to inquire by phone about that specific guitar, but don't hold me to that. You can order by phone from them, which IMHO, is the way to go. There could be a bit of latitude in that price by phone, but not through their website.

Quote by DropofOcean
Looks like eBay has some good deals on some blemished, new guitars. I would be willing to go that route too to get a good deal. I am really interested in the 3" ones, though. What about the Fenders? They have the Stratacoustics and Telecoustics although they admittedly look very weird.
I'm not a fan of Ebay, but I don't shop there. So, maybe I should hold my tongue. I think, in general, the major music eTailers on the web have more of a reputation to maintain, and so might be better to deal with in event of a problem.

Keep in mind, my impressions of Ebay were formed when it was just an online auction, with mostly private individuals huckstering their used stuff. It's much more than that now. Still, you have to read the terms of sales, and buyer's reviews carefully.

As for those Fender pieces, I've not seen or heard either of them. By the names, they sound gimmicky, on the order of Ibanez' "Talman".

I have a "Sonoran", and I'm constantly getting blasted about the look of those here at UG. It's pretty much a standard, although slightly smallish, cutaway dreadnought, but with a Strat style headstock. It sounds and plays pretty well, although I've never been thrilled with its hardware.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm not quite sure how you arrived at that conclusion.. The pictures on the page look like the stock display pics, and most likely have nothing to do with the particular guitar they're offering as a "restock".

I'm thinking that particular model has, (or had, if it's a discon), a $280.00 to S320.00 day to day sell).

M'sF has a liberal return policy. You may be able to inquire by phone about that specific guitar, but don't hold me to that. You can order by phone from them, which IMHO, is the way to go. There could be a bit of latitude in that price by phone, but not through their website.

I'm not a fan of Ebay, but I don't shop there. So, maybe I should hold my tongue. I think, in general, the major music eTailers on the web have more of a reputation to maintain, and so might be better to deal with in event of a problem.

Keep in mind, my impressions of Ebay were formed when it was just an online auction, with mostly private individuals huckstering their used stuff. It's much more than that now. Still, you have to read the terms of sales, and buyer's reviews carefully.

As for those Fender pieces, I've not seen or heard either of them. By the names, they sound gimmicky, on the order of Ibanez' "Talman".

I have a "Sonoran", and I'm constantly getting blasted about the look of those here at UG. It's pretty much a standard, although slightly smallish, cutaway dreadnought, but with a Strat style headstock. It sounds and plays pretty well, although I've never been thrilled with its hardware.

I have bought a few things from eBay and have generally had a good experience. But I have done some searching on Yamaha and the APX500III in blue looks and sounds amazing. And it is about 3 1/2". This video made me fall in love with the tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA-zIaO3YH0 I am stuck now between the AEG240 and the Yamaha APX500III. Sorry for my short reply, but I am at work! I will come back to this thread later. Thanks so much for your advice. Yamaha seems like a really great brand with price and quality well in a decent range for a budget guitar.
First, internet video or sound clips are the worst possible way to judge the sound of an instrument. You're listening to the amp, the mic, and usually someone's idealized impression of what the guitar sounds like as well. BAsically, a good guitar can sometimes sound like total crap, and a bad one, very good.

Second, Yamaha's APX series are our "acoustic goddess's", (Patticake) least favorite product. That notwithstanding, I'm fairly sure it is comparable with other guitars in the category and price point.
Quote by DropofOcean
Thanks for the info! I am kind of obsessed with a thin body/thinline guitar. I really want the guitar to be portable without sacraficing on full length width. I'm glad to know the guitar plays well. Did you by chance pick up an AEG240 at the store and try that out? I saw one on eBay for a good price at around $270. Am strongly considering it.

No IDK anything about the AEG240 but looking at the specs, it looks like the only 2 differences between that and AEF30e is that the 240 is thinner(2.75"). My aef30 measured at 3.75". The 240 also has mahogany sides and back while my 30 is maple, probably a plus for the 240. Comparatively, my Yamaha A1r body depth measured @ 4.25 while my washburn wd7s measured 4.5(both full size dreads). Keep in mind though that a thinner body doesn't really make the guitar much more portable. They are still the same relative size and shape and fit into the same size gig bag or hard case. If portability is the main factor, there are travel guitars with a very small body that still have a full size fretboard. The martin backpacker, washburn rover and the 1 have from guitarworks. They are great to have when you want something to stash in the trunk(blasphemy for some I know) for practice or fun when you are on the go. The Martin can be plugged into an amp. Of course the travel guitars will sound even thinner than a thin body guitar unplugged. What is your purpose for this guitar?

As far as Ibanez quality, I wouldn't be too concerned. As far as I can tell my Ibanez is made just as well as my yamaha or washburn. Like I said I love the flat fretboard. I've bought all my guitars on ebay but keep in mind sellers can exaggerate the condition of a used guitar. Basically mint means good. LOL The seller I bought my aef30e from said the guitar was in mint condition but it came with many surface scratches(most came out with maguiars scratch-x) and the electronics didn't work. Still for the price I paid, I didn't raise a fuss. I don't plug in anyway. I would ask questions first though and make sure everything is in working order.
The reason for wanting a thin acoustic: portability, comfort, ease of transition from electric to acoustic, I have a small body frame. Essentially, I'm certain I want a small bodied guitar. I will use it for playing indoors unplugged mostly. I won't be performing with it (still learning how to play guitar). I may play it outdoors, but that would be rare.

rohash, thanks for all your feedback on Ibanez brand guitars. I would feel more at ease buying this brand acoustic now.

I'm probably going to hit a few stores when I get the chance and see if they have the APX500III and the AEG240. See which one I like better. Thanks all for the help and input! You guys are a great community.
Quote by Captaincranky
First, internet video or sound clips are the worst possible way to judge the sound of an instrument. You're listening to the amp, the mic, and usually someone's idealized impression of what the guitar sounds like as well. BAsically, a good guitar can sometimes sound like total crap, and a bad one, very good.

I wouldn't say it's the worst, because it gives you a general idea. But yeah, there's definitely a lot of variables that colour the sound of a guitar on YouTube. I'd add the room, (in this case, and others) any EQ/effects added, how it translates to the video editing software, how the audio is affected after it is turned into a singular video file, how YouTube/the video host affects the audio... there's probably more I'm forgetting.

It's all right to get a general idea, but if at all possible, go and try it for yourself. If it's an acoustic, leave the shop's acoustic room and play it in the open.

I don't know how to give guitar suggestions to someone who isn't concerned with tone, since it's my number one priority, so all I've got is this.
Quote by DropofOcean

*edit*

You surrender with its size, for a great sound. I promise to you, you'll not regret))))