Page 1 of 2
Tons of cartoons back then had minor to major racism scattered throughout, so I wouldn't be surprised at all
The show started in the 40s. Racism wasn't as frowned upon back then as it is today.
it's basically like that really old relative everyone has that says nigger a lot, but everyone lets it go because they're "from a different time" and also will be dead soon.
Yeah, old cartoons are riddled with racism, but that's because everyone was a lot more openly racist back then than they are today. The cartoons were written in that environment, and as we as a society changed, the way we viewed things from the past, including cartoons, changed.

It doesn't mean that it's a bad show or that we shouldn't watch it. It's just that we have to acknowledge the context that the show was created in.
Quote by Thrill-house
A+ post, would read again
Racism wasn't invented until MLK started making a fuss, for whatever reason. Things before that aren't racist, cause it didn't exist.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Thrill-house

good GIF is good
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
I literally do not remember Mammy Two-Shoes. I'm pretty certain they can just cut those episodes; it wasn't like she was important.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
The nanny was super racist but it was hilarious

that
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Old cartoons often were racist. People just need to take into account of the decade the cartoon was made in.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Sure it was. But Mammy was the ****ing shit, lol. She used to beat the shit outta Tom and throw his ass outta the house

You wanna see some hilarious "racism" in cartoons, go watch any episode of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball GT that had any black person in it
Not unless species=races now. Cause of the implication that mice are superior to cats.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I literally do not remember Mammy Two-Shoes. I'm pretty certain they can just cut those episodes; it wasn't like she was important.

lel
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Tom rolls and smokes a cigar on many occasions. I think they have worse things to worry about than racism, in this day and age.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by bdof
Lol, like a cartoon character smoking a cigar? Oh the humanity.

Tell that to the FCC.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by CaptainCanti
Tom rolls and smokes a cigar on many occasions. I think they have worse things to worry about than racism, in this day and age.

Tom and Jerry commuted suicide on one episode.
lol commuted

They did the black face thing a lot, and almost removed them all in the original series. There's one episode where they made Mammy Two Shoes white.
Quote by Cardbored
lol commuted

Whoops, my bad. I was still kinda half asleep when I typed that.
Quote by Baby Joel
Racism wasn't invented until MLK started making a fuss, for whatever reason. Things before that aren't racist, cause it didn't exist.

a+ post
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Geritol269
like T+J's "racism", hippie pc will be also looked down upon 60 yrs from now.

You're one of those people who gets all pissy when you're told to moderately change your actions so you aren't a gigantic douchebag to other people, aren't you?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
What's racist here is that black women apparantly can't be maids. By that extent, Maid In Manhattan is racist since it features a Latina (JLo) performing the same job.

Seriously...
Couldn't give a single damn about it, it was fvcking amazing.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Wait, seriously? People still like Tom & Jerry?

Every episode ever:
>Jerry steals something from Tom
>Tom gets pissed and chases Jerry for ten minutes, hurting himself multiple times in the process
Optional:
>Tom accidentally hurts the dog so it starts protecting Jerry
>Tom accidentally breaks something and his owner gets all pissy at him for acting like a cat

Even as a kid I found this shit boring.
Quote by archangels
Wait, seriously? People still like Tom & Jerry?

Every episode ever:
>Jerry steals something from Tom
>Tom gets pissed and chases Jerry for ten minutes, hurting himself multiple times in the process
Optional:
>Tom accidentally hurts the dog so it starts protecting Jerry
>Tom accidentally breaks something and his owner gets all pissy at him for acting like a cat

Even as a kid I found this shit boring.

You don't watch Tom & Jerry for the plot.

Even as a kid I knew that.
A few years ago in the UK channels showing Tom and Jerry said they were going to edit out scenes where charachters are smoking so that kids wouldn't be influenced by it. Yeah, come on, as if kids that age would ever have easy access to cigarettes. Nothing was ever said about editing out the violence and racial stereotypes.
RPD - Finger Pickin' Good
Page 1 of 2