Page 1 of 2
Hi!

Do you guys know of any amps that sound similar to the Peavey 6505/5150 or the Krankenstein?
By similar I mean that have the same clear mids.

I'm looking for a tone like Amon Amarth, As I Lay Dying, Unearth, Trivium, In Flames, etc.
They basically all use 6505/5150 or Krankensteins(sometimes).

However I can't really afford a 6505 , not even a combo and the krankensteins are mostly impossible to find in europe now.

I remember reading the Diezels sound similar but I can't find those here either.

Any tips?
Save up and get yourself a 6505. They're really not that expensive used.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Diezels will cost you an arm and a leg as well. Best I got for you is a Bugera 6260. It's an exact copy of the 6505 circuitry, just made in China, however Bugeras are not known for reliability and I'm not sure of availability in Europe. If you want that searing 6L6 tone you can get a Laney VH100R and retube it with 6L6s. I've honestly never heard one with that power section configuration, but I can tell you now personally that my VH100R has a stellar midrange and get pretty close in tone to Cancer Bats (guitarist's amp is a Diezel Herbert) and Trivium when I play around with the EQ enough, and my power section is JJ E34Ls. IF you threw some JJ or EH 6L6s in there I think you'd have what you're looking for.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If you have to have that tone, Bugera 6260 is a 5150/6505 clone and the Bugera 6262 is a 5150II/6505+ clone.

You can get a Jet City JCA50h in europe for really cheap new and their reliability are much more reliable. Not as aggressive as a 6505 but the 6505 is a rip off of the SLO circuit that the jet city has.

There is also the Peavey vypyr tube and it models both of those amps pretty well.

Besides the vypyr there is no amp I know of that will do the K-stein tone
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jetcity 50 watt head and a 2x12 V30 cab. Stick an OD and EQ pedal in there too and jobs a good un
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I second this.

Also diezel amps can sound angry but they don't sound like 6505's that much imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Used 6505+ 112s can be had all day long in the U.S. for $350-400; I don't know what that converts to in your country. But roughly 60% of the new price.

For the bands you listed, there really isn't a substitute, except for the Bugera. And I wouldn't go there...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
You might as well save up and get the 6505. You'll like it more than any substitute.

If you really wanted to go the Diezel route, those amps cost an arm and a leg and possibly a human soul. For how they sound, they're not worth the price.
Vyper 120 or bugera 6262, both will do. I know I own both. Apart from 1 valve going in the vypyr I have had no problems with either. Having the right pickups help too.

Mark
^ yeah the vypyr tube 60 or tube 120 would also be a nice option 'cause of the fx and giggles, though for a 6505 sound I'd still go for the 6505.
Quote by BlackDeath92
If you really wanted to go the Diezel route, those amps cost an arm and a leg and possibly a human soul. For how they sound, they're not worth the price.
I would disagree on that.

Probably because it costs relatively less for me since I'm less than 100km from switzerland, though the VH4 is the higher quality guitar amp I can think of, and it sounds like so.
I don't like it, but some may well do and considering what it is, imo the price's justified.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

A used 6505 combo here in Norway goes for about $1,000 so that's a bit much for a bedroom amp. A new one is about $2,000. Import is not an option due to high import taxes.

I looked into the JetCity too, but that one's just ugly as sin... I really can't get myself to buy that thing.

To those suggesting the Bugera - thanks, Im really considering that! They are quite cheap here in norway and reliability isn't an issue cause here we have a 5 year full warranty by law, so even if it breaks I'll get it fixed for free.

I'll keep on the lookout for a cheap used 6505, maybe try haggle down the price more, if I don't find one i'll get the Bugera.

Thanks for all the input
diezel is for people who have to much money to spend on shit tone, get a used 6505 because outside of amon amarth you pretty much just play metalcore. As much as i loathe the 6505 it is the metalcore amp so for you it actually is the best option. the advantage of going used is you might get lucky and some one already retubed it and got rid of that peice of dog shit speaker that goes in the combos. which will save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

edit saw norway and import taxes. if you can find one a vypyr tube actually has a model of the 6505, 6505+ and the krankenstien. Also annother really good option if you cant find it a are the line 6 flextone iiis and vetta's im not sure if the vetta has a 5150 model on it though but you should be able to get something close
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Oct 6, 2014,
^^Just out of curiosity, what do you "loathe" about 6505s?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by losing battle
diezel is for people who have to much money to spend on shit tone
Adam Jones and most tool fans don't really feel that way.
Also James Hetfield has a couple.
Also Satriani has a VH4.
And Steven Wilson.
And Myles Kennedy currently uses a Herbert with Alter Bridge.

I get they sound different from most guitar amps and you may not like it, but it's nice to respect other people's tastes y' know.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The JCA50 is you're best option, if you're on a tight budget. If you're that vain over looks, spend another $40 and buy the metal baffle...
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Spambot_2
Adam Jones and most tool fans don't really feel that way.
Also James Hetfield has a couple.
Also Satriani has a VH4.
And Steven Wilson.
And Myles Kennedy currently uses a Herbert with Alter Bridge.

I get they sound different from most guitar amps and you may not like it, but it's nice to respect other people's tastes y' know.

Also let's not forget Scott Middleton from Cancer Bats, Brent Hinds from Mastodon and Jim Root before he got his sig Orange.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
AMT P-drive, P1/P2, or K2 and the cheapest used tube amp you can find. They also have a D2 if you're still interested in the Diesel.

I would go with the others though, and suggest just getting a 6505 because they can be had fairly cheap. Now Krankensteins and Diesels are pretty expensive, so if you want that tone than I highly recommend looking into the AMT pedals.

Peavey Vypyrs have a Diesel, Krankenstein, AND 6505 channel. There's the tube version that can be had fairly cheap. I'd probably have one if they had an Engl channel.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38

Peavey Vypyrs have a Diesel, Krankenstein, AND 6505 channel. There's the tube version that can be had fairly cheap. I'd probably have one if they had an Engl channel.

+1

That's what I came here to say.

The amp models are not perfect but the amp is hard to beat for the money. Typically $250-$350 here in the states for a used Vypyr tube 60.

The Diezel VH4 Red channel is my favorite. Brutal.
^ +1

I've heard 311's clip.

Quote by BlackDeath92
1. You might as well save up and get the 6505. You'll like it more than any substitute.

2. If you really wanted to go the Diezel route, those amps cost an arm and a leg and possibly a human soul. For how they sound, they're not worth the price.

1. Agreed.

2. Nah uh.

I got the 2008 VH4 when it was almost a year old for the price of what a Soldano Avenger now cost new. There's no comparison. I got the Herbert in trade for an Ibanez RG1077XL and an LTD SC607B.

Patience is key!
Quote by Xioinor
A used 6505 combo here in Norway goes for about $1,000 so that's a bit much for a bedroom amp. A new one is about $2,000. Import is not an option due to high import taxes.

I looked into the JetCity too, but that one's just ugly as sin... I really can't get myself to buy that thing.

To those suggesting the Bugera - thanks, Im really considering that! They are quite cheap here in norway and reliability isn't an issue cause here we have a 5 year full warranty by law, so even if it breaks I'll get it fixed for free.

I'll keep on the lookout for a cheap used 6505, maybe try haggle down the price more, if I don't find one i'll get the Bugera.

Thanks for all the input

Dude, dont hate on the JCA because its ugly! It sounds pretty good, and with an overdrive in front of it, it can do any metal you want for like 1/3rd the price of a 6505. And changing the front grill and making it look awesome is easy as hell, it only takes changing a few screws and bolring on a metal mesh!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
^ while I agree with that for the most part, saying it can do any metal for 1/3rd the price of a 6505 is a bit of a stretch - the latter is the metalcore machine and among the most if not the most angry sounding amp I can think of.

While being just as good for stuff and better for other stuff, he JCA is a much tamer beast.
Quote by Ippon
I got the 2008 VH4 when it was almost a year old for the price of what a Soldano Avenger now cost new. There's no comparison.
I actually prefer the avenger to the VH4

I mean, again, they do sound much different, and that's the reason why you can't compare between the two - the avenger sound like a guitar amp, and the VH4 sounds like somebody put enough effort in it to make a high quality guitar amp from the tech point of view, so everything that comes out of it is clear and smooth and just right.

The avenger on the other hand sounds like a guitar amp
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 7, 2014,
Quote by Spambot_2
^ while I agree with that for the most part, saying it can do any metal for 1/3rd the price of a 6505 is a bit of a stretch - the latter is the metalcore machine and among the most if not the most angry sounding amp I can think of.

While being just as good for stuff and better for other stuff, he JCA is a much tamer beast.
I actually prefer the avenger to the VH4

I mean, again, they do sound much different, and that's the reason why you can't compare between the two -
the avenger sound like a guitar amp, and the VH4 sounds like somebody put enough effort in it to make a high quality guitar amp from the tech point of view, so everything that comes out of it is clear and smooth and just right.

The avenger on the other hand sounds like a guitar amp

I also had the Hot Rod 100 Avenger, the only difference is that it had the effects loop that the Avenger didn't have. Both are very nice indeed and give a good approximation of the SLO100. The Hot Rod 100 Plus is another gnarly beast to consider.
Quote by gorkyporky
Dude, dont hate on the JCA because its ugly! It sounds pretty good, and with an overdrive in front of it, it can do any metal you want for like 1/3rd the price of a 6505. And changing the front grill and making it look awesome is easy as hell, it only takes changing a few screws and bolring on a metal mesh!

Peavey 6505 $999
Jet City JCA100 $719
Not a great deal in the USA at all
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You can't afford a used 6505 but you won't buy a Jet City because of how it looks? At this point I have to conclude that you are simply a f***knuckle until convinced otherwise.

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Peavey 6505 $999
Jet City JCA100 $719
Not a great deal in the USA at all

But he isnt from the USA. He is from norway, where a Jet City JCA50 is 299euro and the 6505, if you can even find one, is over 1000 euro. Amps are generaly way more expensive here, and the Jet City seems to be the only real exception.

And op, look at this sexy beast:

or tis one:

Oh yeah!
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Oct 8, 2014,
^ I was thinking he was in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Ippon
I meant the avenger is designed to give you a sound that has much in common with guitar sounds you hear everyday, while the VH4 is both a higher quality product than any other guitar amp I know of and it doesn't sound much like anything else.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Xioinor
A

Is it to listen to or to look at?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You can always redo the face plate, honestly 6505's are for wimps.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
You can always redo the face plate, honestly 6505's are for wimps.

Again, I must ask, what is your problem with 6505s?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
Again, I must ask, what is your problem with 6505s?

I guess he's jus too cool for them. That's what it seems like to me

TS, get the Jet City and find one of the newer face plates to put on it. Best bet really.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You go to a sheetmetal shop, get them to cut you a piece of perf steel to fit. Get it powder coated and screw it into place.
Now, do you want a lesson on how to suck eggs as well?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
You go to a sheetmetal shop, get them to cut you a piece of perf steel to fit. Get it powder coated and screw it into place.
Now, do you want a lesson on how to suck eggs as well?

You're rude.
Why thank you, I do my best.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The best part about being a c*nt is knowing you are a c*nt and embracing it. It's just too much fun.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by farmosh203
You're rude.
That is true, but it could be a lot worse - he could be an asshole by being rude without providing you with a viable solution.

Instead he's teaching you a lesson about life as well: not all rude people are assholes.

Also you could get wood cut to these measures if you find one you like the color/grain of.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by farmosh203
You're rude.

We all love Cath round here cause he tells you straight.

But yeah theres several options for the JCA faceplate. I hate it myself, took the logo off the front and im in the process of having it covered in purple to match my cab.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
We all love Cath round here cause he tells you straight.

But yeah theres several options for the JCA faceplate. I hate it myself, took the logo off the front and im in the process of having it covered in purple to match my cab.

Yeah, that will look MUCH better....

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2