So I just bought a Gibson SG Standard and it has EMG 81/60 in it. I already have a guitar with actives and really only use it for Townsend stuff. I want to replace the pickups in the SG, but not too sure on where to go. I thought about a p90 in the neck and a hotter pickup in the bridge. I like to play a wide variety of music, but staple tends to lean towards baroness, opeth, mastodon and dirty blues styles. I'm not looking to go for broke and have looked into GFS, Lace, SD and Dimarzio. Like to keep the total under $200 USD for both pickups.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I know you said no SD's but what about the JB/Jazz combo? They're extremely versatile and can be had for much less then your budget used.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Also check out RailHammer and Tesla.

As for the neck P90/bridge HB combo, I can tell you I just got a custom with that configuration, and I'm loving it. Its kind of like a beefier HSS.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Danny, that is what I was thinking. I love a p90 in the neck.
I am not against going the SD route either.
Which Tesla pickups would you recommend. I was half tempted to buy the dirty heshers (lace) or the hammer claws (lace). I don't know if I need that much output though.

Edit: Which Tesla's do you recommend?
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Oct 7, 2014,
What are you looking for? The VR-Extreme- which I have in a guitar- is kind of a late-80s glam/prog metal sounding pickup. It has decent cleans and coil-splits nicely. The Nitro is a bit hotter, and the Plasma series is seriously bröötal.

Tesla doesn't make a HB-sized P90, so you'd have to find that elsewhere.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I might just go for an alnico II for the neck and get something hot for the bridge. I tend to play metal and dirty blues, don't need anything crazy hot. My metal tends to be Opeth/Mastodon/Baroness, so nothing crazy drop tuned, but maybe on occasion. I am liking the prices of the Tesla pickups as well. I saw the Plasma series and was intrigued. I just am not a fan of actives, I like the more organic sound of passives.
Line 6 M13
Right now I am leaning towards a Nitro in the neck and a Plasma X-1 in the bridge.
Line 6 M13
I do really like the Teslas I have. FWIW, their OPUS pickups deliver a very nice clean tone.

My custom with Teslas is a HSS, with the Extreme HB and 2 OPUS singles. So I can go from power to power ballad very easily. Avd even though it is a hotter pickup, the Extreme, when split, blends nicely with the output of the OPUS pups.

I'm thinking the Plasma/Nitro mix would work well. But do what I did- drop them an email. They were very helpful in getting my pickup selection straight.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 7, 2014,
Thanks. I never thought to send them an email. I appreciate the help/info.
Line 6 M13