Hello everyone!

I have in the recent past used this forum for help regarding electric guitars and it is, for sure, a very valuable resource.

With this in mind, I am coming to you guys today looking for help/expertise/suggestions.

So, I have started playing electric guitar in April-May this year (previously, I played acoustic). I started playing on a Yamaha Pacifica (which I quite like) but I am now really wanting to upgrade to a better guitar.

As I quite like my Pacifica (and the stratocaster guitar), I am looking to buy a Fender Stratocaster. I don't really have any specific sound in mind (I pretty much play everything... mostly Rock, grunge. Not too heavy stuff though).

I was thinking about buying a Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe.

My questions regarding this are:
- Which model do you guys think is the best? I quite like the SSH configuration on my Pacifica (I like the versatility of having the humbucker on the bridge), do you guys think there is an advantage of SSS vs SSH?
- My guitar teacher told me to get either a Jeff Beck or a Deluxe SSH with an LSR nut (he is crazy about his tremolo bar... I hope this is what you call it!... and he says that the other fenders get out of tune pretty easily with some action on the bar). What do you guys think of the LSR nut? Is it worth it? What does it change?

So... what do you guys think? Any help/suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best wishes,
M.

PS: why specifically an american fender stratocaster? No idea really... a bit of a fetish, I guess!
i've never really tried the lsr nut. i'm guessing it changes the tone slightly since it's metal.

it's really up to you regarding the HSS versus SSS thing. SSS sounds more "classic strat", while HSS gives you more versatility. Since you know you like HSS, it might be the way to go... on the other hand you could argue that since you already have an HSS guitar, maybe SSS would give you some other tones.

best bet is to try a bunch of HSS versus SSS guitars. That'll tell you pretty quickly one way or the other.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ins't that LSR nut something you'd have to have installed after you bought the guitar? If that's the case you could just decide at some point in the future if you needed it or not. I guess they do help the guitar stay in tune if you're using the tremolo bar a lot, but many people don't use the tremolo at all and just put 5 springs on it and it'll stay in tune perfectly well then.

As far as HSS vs SSS, I've got two guitars - an SSS Strat and an HH Ibanez. I like having the variety of sounds available.
A roller nut with a floating tremolo would be better, but if you want tuning stability with lots of tremolo usage, you need a Floyd Rose or equivalent. Fender floating tremolos were basically designed for a little vibrato and bending, not huge drops.

I converted my SSS Strat to HSS. You can split a humbucker and use just one coil, basically making it sound like a single coil, so you have more sounds available with a humbucker.
Quote by Jack Strat
Ins't that LSR nut something you'd have to have installed after you bought the guitar?

i think a few models come stock with it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never understood why some people like the HSS models, but whatever, it's music!

As an almost 10-year Strat player, I'd advise against getting an HSS or any of its variants. Even if it looks like it's gonna give you a more beefed up, metal sound, the guitar lacks again in that matter and you'll better off with something that's designed for metal (ESP's, Jackson's etc.)

Since though you're not looking for that (that's what I understood when you said you were playing acoustic all this time and you want to buy a Strat), I'd suggest pretty much any American Standard with single-coils. They'll last a lifetime, their sound is exceptional and versatile provided you know what you are doing with some effects and generally you'll be a happy guitarist with one of those in your collection. Just make sure it's got 22 frets, can't stand the 50's and 60's models with 21!

Btw, have you considered a Deluxe Roadhouse instead? They feature an S-1 switch, it allows you to adjust how thick the pickups sound by turning the upper tone knob around. I'm particularly interested in one of those myself! Take a look here: http://www.thomann.de/gr/fender_deluxe_roadhouse_strat_3tsb.htm
Quote by Panos94
I'd advise against getting an HSS or any of its variants. Even if it looks like it's gonna give you a more beefed up, metal sound, the guitar lacks again in that matter and you'll better off with something that's designed for metal (ESP's, Jackson's etc.)

I kinda disagree here...I have a 2011 custom deluxe stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan TB-11 in the bridge...and I own quite a few ESPs...this is easily on parr in the metal department.

Also sounds stunning with the single coil cleans.

Probably the most versatile and best sounding guitar I own no matter what style I'm playing. In saying that though it was ******edly expensive
Quote by Avenue13
I kinda disagree here...I have a 2011 custom deluxe stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan TB-11 in the bridge...and I own quite a few ESPs...this is easily on parr in the metal department.

Also sounds stunning with the single coil cleans.

Probably the most versatile and best sounding guitar I own no matter what style I'm playing. In saying that though it was ******edly expensive

Yep, exactly it's a custom Stratocaster. I think we're currently talking about default specs here. If the OP would like us to expand on the matter, then yes I could see how a Strat with the specs you pointed out could do well with metal!
A Fender HSS strat might sound like its lacking something if you're playing on a shitty amp (in that case its the amp, not the guitar), but it is a more than legit player on a decent amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Oct 6, 2014,
While I think HSS Strats is the boring option, possibly due to being privileged enough to have a lot guitars suitable for any situation, I really do not agree with that they are not on par with pretty much any Super Strat soundwise. Playability of a 9,5 '' radius fretboard is a little different though.

Why do I think HSS is boring? Because I really like a single coil in the bridge. No other reason. The American Deluxe HSS is a fine guitar that I could hardly see anyone going wrong with. As for the trem, it is up to you to consider what you want to be able to do. I never use the trem, and I think that is true for a great share of Stratocaster users.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
First of all, to clarify, by SSH, do you mean neck-middle-bridge? I've never seen it written that way, but your wording seems to suggest that.

As for the argument of HSS v. SSS, well, that's subjectivity for you. I chose the HSS over the SSS for my Strat. Though since my tastes have changed, I'd be more on the fence if I were the guitarist then that I am today. I'm thinking of having a coil-split installed someday. I mostly dislike bridge pickups, the Strat, which is definitely my favorite guitar, included, but I prefer having it for an overdriven lead tone but not so much for its clean tone. Really, you have to decide which is more suitable to your needs.
Hello everyone!
Thank you so much for all your opinions!!! You guys are great...

As I previously mentioned, I don't play heavy stuff. I guess that all the arguments regarding HSS vs SSS make some sort of sense (and now that I think of it, for the past month I have mostly been using the neck pickup anyway). Given I am not thinking of selling my Pacifica (to carry around to guitar classes and to let my son play on it when he grows old enough), maybe the right choice would be the SSS configuration.

And in fact, I have been considering a few models on that department. So maybe it will be better that I tell you the models I have been considering:

- On the HSS (not SSH ), I was thinking about a Strat Deluxe. Something like this: http://www.pourlesmusiciens.com/fender-american-deluxe-stratocaster-hss-mn-sunset-metallic.html

- On the SSS department, I was thinking of the the following guitars:
- Strat Deluxe: http://www.pourlesmusiciens.com/fender-american-deluxe-strat-plus-mn-mystic-ice-blue.html
- Jeff Beck: http://www.pourlesmusiciens.com/fender-stratocaster-usa-american-artist-jeff-beck-surf-green-011-9600-857-guitare-electrique-solidbody.html
- Eric Johnson: http://www.pourlesmusiciens.com/fender-stratocaster-usa-american-artist-eric-johnson-rosewood-fretboard-dakota-red-011-7700-854-guitare-electrique-solidbody.html

So... now that I shortlisted the guitars I had in mind, what do you guys think? Any model you guys think that is clearly better (notice I have the LSR on the HSS and the Jeff Beck)? I probably would do well with just a deluxe strat (on SSS), but given I am spending quite a bit of money on the guitar, I want to buy the best I can (of course, within my budget... no custom guitars, I am afraid!!!).
you may want to consider an American standard. with the money you save going this route you can get the pickups of your choice and even an lsr nut if you wish. this will taylor the guitar to your wants as opposed to a sig model. I have an lsr on one of my strats and if you go that route you'll want to make sure you have locking tuners as well. another option would be to get a used Strat Plus which came stock with a roller nut and locking tuners as well as lace sensor pickups.
If you plan on never buying another electric guitar as long as you live get the HSS. But if you think maybe next year I'll get an SG or a Gretsch Corvette to get some more sounds then get the SSS. HSS is a compromise guitar made so that a player can get close to a lot of sounds and not have to switch guitars. But it does not nail some classic strat sounds the bridge pickup has a distinct sound so does the bridge and middle.
I think I am quite convinced with the SSS. In fact, I think I will eventually buy a Les Paul, so I guess the classical Strat (SSS) would be a good bet for me.

In any case, as I don't know much about guitars... I would prefer to get a guitar that I wouldn't need to upgrade. This is why I am quite inclined to get the Jeff Beck. With that in mind... What of the above models would you guys recommend (or similar kind of models).

Cheers again! You guys rock!
Quote by milcs
I think I am quite convinced with the SSS. In fact, I think I will eventually buy a Les Paul, so I guess the classical Strat (SSS) would be a good bet for me.

In any case, as I don't know much about guitars... I would prefer to get a guitar that I wouldn't need to upgrade. This is why I am quite inclined to get the Jeff Beck. With that in mind... What of the above models would you guys recommend (or similar kind of models).

Cheers again! You guys rock!

The fact that you see many people switching out the single coils for Seymour Duncan single coils or putting in humbuckers on the bridge, is proof of how versatile the Stratocaster can be. Nevertheless, considering what models you told us you are looking for specifically, I'd go with the Deluxe SSS config. Dat color doe..

Hope I helped! Happy playing!
Quote by monwobobbo
you may want to consider an American standard. with the money you save going this route you can get the pickups of your choice and even an lsr nut if you wish. this will taylor the guitar to your wants as opposed to a sig model. I have an lsr on one of my strats and if you go that route you'll want to make sure you have locking tuners as well. another option would be to get a used Strat Plus which came stock with a roller nut and locking tuners as well as lace sensor pickups.

I was gonna suggest the American Standard what as well, but for a different reason. The American Deluxe has the noiseless pickups. While they do actually silence the noise that comes with single coils, they have a reputation for not sounding very good. The current pickups on American Standards (Fat 50s) or the pickups from the pre-2012 models sound great, though you'll have to deal with the noise. The Eric Johnson Strat sounds great as well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 7, 2014,
Hello again!

My guitar teacher has a G&L and he told me to get one. I am sure it is a great guitar... But, to be honest, I just want to have a fender stratocaster. I am sure there are better guitars out there, but I have been wanting to get one for a lifetime.

So... one thing at a time! First to get myself the best Fender Strat I can get! Then I will think about getting other guitars...

Anyway... why no love for the Jeff Beck? I was really considering it...

I have a problem with the standard american (and the deluxe). Don't really like the colours...

The Eric Johnson... it only has 21 frets! So I am not so sure about that one!

Cheers

PS: I still have to go to the shop and "test drive" a few models. I just want to shortlist the ones I am going to try.
Last edited by milcs at Oct 7, 2014,
Well if you really want a Fender, only a fender will do.

FYI Leo Fender started G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well if you really want a Fender, only a fender will do.

FYI Leo Fender started G&L

That is exactly what my guitar teacher told me! I will look into it... but it is not as easy to get it in France! In any case, it's like a childhood dream... One I can now live! (sorry, sounds a bit too cheesy )
G&L stands for George and Leo ..... a couple of the cats that started Fender Music back in the day (George Fullerton and Leo Fender ) ..... put me with the G&L camp
Quote by milcs
That is exactly what my guitar teacher told me! I will look into it... but it is not as easy to get it in France! In any case, it's like a childhood dream... One I can now live! (sorry, sounds a bit too cheesy )

well so you know leo fender started Fender then sold to CBS in the 60's then in the 70's he started MusicMan then in the early 80's/late 70's he started G&L. IMO a standard G&L USA line is as good as Fenders Custom shop will ever be.
Actually both of the other lines MM and G&L are much better than your typical USA Fender
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 7, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
well so you know leo fender started Fender then sold to CBS in the 60's then in the 70's he started MusicMan then in the early 80's/late 70's he started G&L. IMO a standard G&L USA line is as good as Fenders Custom shop will ever be.
Actually both of the other lines MM and G&L are much better than your typical USA Fender

I know... I even know Leo Fender said the G&L were the best instruments he has ever made... Still want a Fender Stratocaster though!

I know, it is not rational... Like most of the passions!
Quote by Robbgnarly
well so you know leo fender started Fender then sold to CBS in the 60's then in the 70's he started MusicMan then in the early 80's/late 70's he started G&L.
IMO a standard G&L USA line is as good as Fenders Custom shop will ever be.

I wouldn't go that far. They're comparable, an opinion.
Quote by Ippon
I wouldn't go that far. They're comparable, an opinion.

Well I like my opinion

Yes all 3 companys make some great guitars it is just what do you prefer because they are all a bit different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well I like my opinion

Yes all 3 companys make some great guitars it is just what do you prefer because they are all a bit different

I will keep an eye out for the G&L, but I am quite sure I won't be able to find any in Paris (well, at least on the place where all the guitar shops are... I checked, they have no G&L).
In any case... getting back to my original question...

- What Fender Strat should I get?
- Deluxe vs Standard... standard wins???
- Is the Jeff Beck signature strat any good?

Thank you all so much for all your help!
Quote by milcs
I will keep an eye out for the G&L, but I am quite sure I won't be able to find any in Paris (well, at least on the place where all the guitar shops are... I checked, they have no G&L).
In any case... getting back to my original question...

- What Fender Strat should I get?
- Deluxe vs Standard... standard wins???
- Is the Jeff Beck signature strat any good?

Thank you all so much for all your help!

MIA Deluxes, Standards, RIs, and signature models (not the CS versions) are pretty solid. Go with the feel/sound and your budget.
I just would probably go for one with noiseless pickups so you can use higher gain sounds with it. The Jeff Beck model seems nice but I know it has a beefy neck so you might not like that option.
I picked a Deluxe over other Strats for the noiseless pickups, locking tuners, better bridge, more comfortable radius, S-1 switch, and better quality over standards. But it does comes down to personal preference. There are better Strats if you want a vintage-spec Strat but the American Deluxe was perfect for me.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I picked a Deluxe over other Strats for the noiseless pickups, locking tuners, better bridge, more comfortable radius, S-1 switch, and better quality over standards. But it does comes down to personal preference. There are better Strats if you want a vintage-spec Strat but the American Deluxe was perfect for me.

The S-1 is a game changer for me. Never thought I'd have to buy 9Volts for a Strat!