Hello all,
It's been many years since I plugged into one. I recently plugged into a Little Combo amp which was like 6 to 700 bucks retail and I was very impressed with the overall quality and sound.
Now my question is what Marshall amp has the best clean channel? I mean like Fender Twin clean or close to it as possible? Then in the same breath a great rock channel for classic rock stuff and some 80' metal tones?

I was thinking JVM right? Or do they make anything else that is what I'm now after?
The Quest for Tone.
JVM or a DSL, neither of them are what I'd call close to a Twin clean sound, but they both have perfectly good clean channels and satisfying Marshall OD channels.

Honestly Marshall doesn't make anything that has the big Twin 6L6 type clean sound. There are plenty of other companies out there that make a Marshall style amp with a better clean channel, though. Traynor, Mesa, Egnater, and Bogner all come to mind. It's going to depend on your particular needs and budget, but I wouldn't limit yourself to Marshalls, especially if the clean tone is particularly important to you.

Don't get me wrong - the JVM and the DSL both have good clean channels, but if it were me I'd be looking at other amps. For the price of a new 50 watt JVM you can pick up some crazy good amps on the used market. The Bogner Shiva runs about 1500 used and absolutely crushes any channel switcher Marshall has put out, especially if you want Twin cleans and 80s metal in the same package.
Quote by mantis101
Now my question is what Marshall amp has the best clean channel? I mean like Fender Twin clean or close to it as possible?
5881 JTM45.
That is, if you can find one.

It still won't sound that much like a twin though.

As Colin pointed out, limiting yourself to marshall would be a problem if a very good clean channel is a concern, and imo the amps that come closer to marshall's and have good clean channels are the bogner shiva, possibly the xtc if you also want some higher gain stuff, and the egnater rebel if you're on the cheap.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Roc8995 said what I was going to say. I've never encountered a Marshall clean sound comparable to Fender Twin. You might get close- I think the JTM 45 is based on a Fender Bassman.

If you're open to other brands, try Rivera, or an Egnater (the Renegade, specifically). Or you could try putting a Marshall-in-a-box in front of a Fender amp- I've never tried this and can't speak on its efficacy. I'm hoping someone else can.

EDIT: I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 6, 2014,
+1 on what colin said

^ LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the Marshall JVM210. But make sure you play it first. JVMs are very divisive, and a lot of people don't like them. I didn't like them at all until very recently, after playing it through a 1960AHW rather than a standard 1960A or something else.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Randal RM100 or RM50. The 100 takes three modules, the 50 takes two. Load these into it and you'll have exactly what you are asking for:

http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-all
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=twinface

And if you get the RM100 you have room for a proper high gain module like:
http://www.jadedfaithmods.com/erect.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone