Hello everyone, I play guitar and I am finding that I want to take one with me just about everywhere. The only thing holding me back is I'm just not sure exactly how far on the weirdo scale that would put me. I am hoping that the extra practice would help me out, but I don't want to look like a douche-like I am trying to show everyone how cool I am playing guitar. Any advice would be great Oh and also I am left handed and this would also solve the whole never having a lefty guitar with me.
Well, I don't take a guitar with me everywhere, but I do twke my guitars many places. And wherever I take a guitar, I take a portable digital modeling device like one of these (some are discontinued, can still be easily found):

Boss Micro-BR 4 track
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=818

Boss Micro-BR 80
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167

Pocket POD
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104391875-i1173933.gc

Tascam GT-R1
http://tascam.com/product/gt-r1/

Korg Pandora Mini
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-Mini-PXMINI-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-H70754-i1746466.gc

Korg Px4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvaXhaTW-B8&sns=em

Korg Pandora Stomp
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PandoraSTOr/

Korg Px5
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pandora-PX5D-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-104821715-i1387080.gc

Here is a visual comparison of (left to right) Tascam, my PX-5 and one of my Px4s to my old Aiwa cassette player:

Only the Tascam has decent acoustic recording capacity. All DO have features like tuners, metronomes, drum synthesizers, and digital amp & pedal modeling.

So with decent headphones, you can rock out like you were playing Texas Stadium. And yes, they are all about the size of an old Walkman.

The ones I own: the Tascam has the external mics, a phrase trainer (loop & slow down stuff for practicing), and takes SD cards. Both it and the PX5 can connect directly to your computer via a USB port. It is less powerful than the PX5, but, oddly, the PX5 does not have a belt/strap hook.

The ones I don't own: The Line6 PocketPOD is, I believe, the most popular device like this; the Boss might be the most powerful (and priciest); the Pandora Mini is the smallest (its about the size of a stack of business cards), cheapest, and least powerful.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The Voyage Air Belair folding guitar would be perfect for you (assuming they have a lefty). It comes right back up pretty much in tune, and it's a pretty nice guitar all-round.
http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

Briefcase-looking package when folded:

Fairly normal (and great upper fret access) when not:

I carry around my shredneck....theres a couple of travel ideas im looking at for my pilgrimage to the crossroads in a couple of weeks. I stated before I have the korg pandora mini and its a great little device.
Quote by fingrpikingood
If it was socially acceptable, I would do this.

Haha, yeah. It kinda' comes off as "Hey look at me I play guitarrr"
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Quote by fingrpikingood
If it was socially acceptable, I would do this.

Well, it's not like wearing crocs to a suit. Unless you have a Steinberger headless guitar, because then it is.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
What the ****?

Ever since I got my first squier ten years ago I'm basically everywhere with one guitar or other... man, I'm a musician, it's what I do!
You don't think it's weird that a writer carries a pen?

You get lots of perks too, people see you with guitar all the time. Actually that's how I got the Les Paul, it was a gift because he saw me carrying around the Squier all the time

Also, if you worry that much about people's opinion, no-one thinks you're cool anyway just because you play guitar so they also wouldn't assume that's the reason you do it.
People will assume you are later headed to lessons or a gig or whatever!

Seriously did not think this was a problem for anyone :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Don't take it into the shower, in fact, I wouldn't recommend bringing into the bathroom at all.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Quote by dspellman
The Voyage Air Belair folding guitar would be perfect for you (assuming they have a lefty). It comes right back up pretty much in tune, and it's a pretty nice guitar all-round.
http://www.voyageairguitar.com/

Briefcase-looking package when folded:

Fairly normal (and great upper fret access) when not:

The look and design of that is exactly what I like in electrics - LP Jr style, plain paint, pickguard, P90s - regardless of whether it is folding or not. Now I have GAS again.
Just take something lightweight in an equally lightweight bag - something you won't mind getting knocked around a bit.

Weirdo.

Seriously, though, have fun.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I'm real happy with my Traveler EG-2. Fits in the overhead bin of most commercial aircraft and so far the TSA hasn't squawked about it. Built in amp to play through headphones. Line in for your ipod, and what mattered most to me, full scale length.
You will be cussing the first couple times you restring it, but it gets a bit easier. I am looking around for locking tuners to see if that makes the task more managable.
Quote by bornfidelity
What the ****?

Ever since I got my first squier ten years ago I'm basically everywhere with one guitar or other... man, I'm a musician, it's what I do!
You don't think it's weird that a writer carries a pen?

You get lots of perks too, people see you with guitar all the time. Actually that's how I got the Les Paul, it was a gift because he saw me carrying around the Squier all the time

Also, if you worry that much about people's opinion, no-one thinks you're cool anyway just because you play guitar so they also wouldn't assume that's the reason you do it.
People will assume you are later headed to lessons or a gig or whatever!

Seriously did not think this was a problem for anyone :p

People find it cringy because they typically assume that you only play guitar in public to draw as much attention to yourself as possible. And they're always right. They're hypocrites themselves, yes, but they're right. People will say to themselves and other people that they support individuality, freedom of expression, 'the music' (and the music only) and that they don't care what anybody else thinks. But really they're all lying. Even if they fail to realize it.

I respect people who have the courage and skills to play in a live setting, but let's not pretend that they do it solely for 'the music.' Unless you consider drawing as much attention to yourself as possible as being inclusive to musicianship.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 8, 2014,
Take a double bass everywhere instead.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by bornfidelity

Who saw you / gave you the gift? Les Paul himself?
Quote by Lazy Cake
The only thing holding me back is I'm just not sure exactly how far on the weirdo scale that would put me. I am hoping that the extra practice would help me out, but I don't want to look like a douche

I think you'll want to be FAR less concerned with how you look going forward.
This is usually an adolescent thing, and adolescents spend a lot more time fretting about how they look to others than others do thinking about what you look like.

I dated a girl who carted a flippin' cello around with her everywhere she went. There were the occasional idiots who wrote her off as some kind of nerd, but she was smoking hot and it gave me an opportunity to help her carry it.
Quote by dspellman
I think you'll want to be FAR less concerned with how you look going forward.
This is usually an adolescent thing, and adolescents spend a lot more time fretting about how they look to others than others do thinking about what you look like.

I dated a girl who carted a flippin' cello around with her everywhere she went. There were the occasional idiots who wrote her off as some kind of nerd, but she was smoking hot and it gave me an opportunity to help her carry it.

This is the kind of response I needed, thanks man. Also dannyalcatraz thanks to you too. I'll start doing this sort of stuff from now on.
Quote by dspellman

Are you sure it was a date, or just a friendzone?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Lazy Cake
This is the kind of response I needed, thanks man. Also dannyalcatraz thanks to you too. I'll start doing this sort of stuff from now on.

Reality is, that when you are older and you have a couple of albums out, the people who snicker at you for carrying your guitar everywhere now will be the same ones telling all their friends how well they knew you way back.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
People find it cringy because they typically assume that you only play guitar in public to draw as much attention to yourself as possible. And they're always right. They're hypocrites themselves, yes, but they're right. People will say to themselves and other people that they support individuality, freedom of expression, 'the music' (and the music only) and that they don't care what anybody else thinks. But really they're all lying. Even if they fail to realize it.

I respect people who have the courage and skills to play in a live setting, but let's not pretend that they do it solely for 'the music.' Unless you consider drawing as much attention to yourself as possible as being inclusive to musicianship.

Well, the thing with an electric outside - or on the train - is no-one besides you is able to hear it
And of course there's a difference between sitting on the school steps playing Aerosmith or sliding into a quiet corner to practice your chops.

Maybe it's different here in Holland but wherever I sit with a guitar people usually leave me alone and don't seem to notice. And I like it that way! If I want to impress people I will bring an amp. And a drummer!

I think it's like when you're high, everyone seems to stare at you. While, man, it's all in your head. Maybe guitar players are the only ones who frown at this?
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73