Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

Recently during rehearsal I told a joke that caused our (mixed race) keyboard player to have a go at me. Not gonna go into the details of the argument, but here's the joke:

"Why is most jazz in F, Bb and other flat keys?
Because early jazz musicians didn't want to have anything to do with the white keys."

It could be easily altered into

"Why is most country in C major or A minor?
Because early country musicians didn't want to touch the black keys."

The reason I told the first one and not its variation is because I like jazz and don't like country, so I don't usually think about country music.

It's stupid, no person with half a brain would think that seriously. Which is why I (and every one I've told it to minus that dude) have found it funny. (Though from an intellectual point of view, there is a POSSIBILITY that it MIGHT have been true for SOME of these musicians; not necessarily on a conscious level.)

So, my question is: does this joke offend you? Would you consider me a racist for telling it?
Last edited by zObiPhiOn at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by zObiPhiOn

Because early jazz musicians didn't want to have anything to do with the white keys."

in any case that is a terribly wordy, shitty joke
so where's the joke?

Quote by imdeth
Racist joke thread?

What's the difference between Batman and a black man?

Batman can go into a shop without robin.

this joke is better than your joke TS
Sorry, but if you make a racist joke and it offends a minority, then you've been racist. Kinda how it works.
Some people are whiny fvckers, get used to it.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
You're making a joke about a group of people who were systematically oppressed to someone who may (you didn't say what races. They might be asian and hispanic) be part of that group. They could have family members who had very real experiences about what you're joking about.

I'd say you're the one with half a brain. If that person jokes around like that and clearly doesn't mind if you make jokes about it, whatever. A lot of people don't care. But you really kind of have to respect that someone might be upset over a crude joke. I'm a pretty standard skinny white kid but I get pissed when people tell Native American jokes because I live in a heavily Native area. They're just jokes (like omg don't be so serius) to people like you but someone had to live the reality that spawned the joke, and a lot of times it isn't so funny to them.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
So you tell a joke about avoiding white keys and the first key you mention uses all but one of the white keys? Nice, ts, nice...
Quote by BelowTheSun
Sorry, but if you make a racist joke and it offends a minority, then you've been racist. Kinda how it works.

Why is it only racist if it offends a minority?
Quote by musikmatt
Why is it only racist if it offends a minority?

Sociology argues that racism/sexism/anything that suggests the marginilisaton of any one group needs to be systematic and ingrained in society. The idea is that prejudice and power together constitute racism/sexism/whatever, and in this case, the majority experiences the power and therefore, does not experience racism/sexism.
F only uses 1 of the 5 black keys. Not only does the joke suck, but it doesn't even make sense.

Quote by chrismendiola
Sociology argues that racism/sexism/anything that suggests the marginilisaton of any one group needs to be systematic and ingrained in society. The idea is that prejudice and power together constitute racism/sexism/whatever, and in this case, the majority experiences the power and therefore, does not experience racism/sexism.

Which is a shitty definition specially crafted to absolve any underprivileged groups from any responsibility, but that's an argument for another thread.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by archangels
Better joke:
Why are most pop songs written in C major?

Because the Black Keys suck.

Vocalist: Why didn't you transpose it?
Guitarist: I forgot to bring my capo. It's the same song in C major anyway and I'm tone deaf.
Last edited by ha_asgag at Oct 6, 2014,
That's not really racist, considering there's a reason black people often don't trust white people. If anything it's commenting on the social divide rather than mocking the black musicians. Early jazz was a predominantly black scene.

Quote by chrismendiola
Remember that whether you call it racism or not, the power imbalance is still there, so the oppressed group's experiences of that prejudice is still vastly more aggressive than the prejudice they have against the oppressor.

I like to think of it as someone hitting you in the face every 20 minutes, but getting upset when you push them away in reaction.
Praise the Z-Dog, my DADDY ♂♂♂
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by zObiPhiOn

False.

It is because those keys are the most accommodating to horns.

"Why is most country in C major or A minor?
Because early country musicians didn't want to touch the black keys."

Incorrect again.

It is because those keys are best suited for the open tuning and jangling twang that is characteristic of country music.

Fuck your jokes, TS.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I don't get it.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
That person is just sensitive.

Then again I say a lot of racist shit. Jokes tho. Only jokes. >_>
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
The answer to 'are you racist?', and 'are you white?', are the same
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
If you ain't white you ain't right tbh.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
This is a racist joke.

Why aren't there any Puerto Ricans in Star Trek?
Because they ain't working in the future either

Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by imdeth
Racist joke thread?

What's the difference between Batman and a black man?

Batman can go into a shop without robin.

Agreed, this one is way funnier than mine.

Quote by lewistallen
So you tell a joke about avoiding white keys and the first key you mention uses all but one of the white keys? Nice, ts, nice...

Damn, didn't see that coming. But playing all the black keys on an F chord gives an F7b9#9/11/b13, don't tell me that it's not a jazzy chord.

Quote by Banjocal
That's not really racist, considering there's a reason black people often don't trust white people. If anything it's commenting on the social divide rather than mocking the black musicians. Early jazz was a predominantly black scene.

Remember that whether you call it racism or not, the power imbalance is still there, so the oppressed group's experiences of that prejudice is still vastly more aggressive than the prejudice they have against the oppressor.

I like to think of it as someone hitting you in the face every 20 minutes, but getting upset when you push them away in reaction.

Yeah, the joke implies that early jazz musicians didn't like white people. The generalisation might be offensive, but you'd have to be pretty thick not to get that it's only meant for the sake of the joke.
I can't believe I didn't think to mention Miles Davis when the argument started...

Quote by Xiaoxi
False.

It is because those keys are the most accommodating to horns.

Incorrect again.

It is because those keys are best suited for the open tuning and jangling twang that is characteristic of country music.

Fuck your jokes, TS.

Oh really, it isn't because black musicians disliked whites or white musicians disliked blacks? Man my music degree hasn't taught me anything.

Quote by slipknot5678
this is mt

looking at his post history i should actually say 'this is the drug thread'.

Wut. You seem like you've got better drugs than me, hook me up please?

Thanks for the intelligent/funny answers guys. Thanks for the useless ones too, they make me feel better about myself.
hi im a piano and i think this is keycist
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Quote by zObiPhiOn

Oh really, it isn't because black musicians disliked whites or white musicians disliked blacks? Man my music degree hasn't taught me anything.

Chyea. I showed you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by StewieSwan
Which is a shitty definition specially crafted to absolve any underprivileged groups from any responsibility, but that's an argument for another thread.

It's not really a shitty definition, it just boils down to pedantry of word use. Prejudice is still prejudice whether it's a white person being prejudiced against black people or vice versa. Racism is just the prejudice with the power of systematic oppression behind it.

It really just comes down to having two different words for two different things. I don't get why people get so worked up about it. It really isn't that hard to use the word prejudiced instead of racist.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Yeah, sure, it's racist, w/e.
Here's a not racist joke.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by chrismendiola

Maybe I'm speaking in more general terms than you are. Regardless of how much sociology argues, racism can be experienced by or perpetrated by anyone.
Quote by musikmatt
Maybe I'm speaking in more general terms than you are. Regardless of how much sociology argues, racism can be experienced by or perpetrated by anyone.

See here:
Explanation for your pedantry
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by StewieSwan

It's not really saying that people of privilege can't be victims of racially motivated injustices. It defines racism as something more specific than that. It suggests that for it to be racism, there needs to be some kind of institutional power struggle experienced by the victim.

People like to argue "double standards" all off the time, but they forget that not every group has the same experiences, many of which are perpetuated by systematic oppression.
Quote by Banjocal

Word.

It seems like you're agreeing with the definition I presented. I'm like 95% sure. Right?

Quote by musikmatt

See above.
Quote by chrismendiola

no, that's called institutional racism
racism |ˈrāˌsizəm|
noun
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
• prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief : a program to combat racism.
DERIVATIVES
racist noun & adjective
Page 1 of 2