Page 1 of 3
discuss

before you say it, stuff like "does one plus one equal two?" or "what does one plus one equal?" aren't neutral because those questions imply that there is a solution
in any case that is a terribly wordy, shitty question
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by deadsmileyface

before you say it, stuff like "does one plus one equal two?" or "what does one plus one equal?" aren't neutral because those questions imply that there is a solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtpbDx_0oC0

Does a tree make a sound if nobody hears it fall?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Define 'neutral' in this context please
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
Define 'neutral' in this context please

like, the question itself is not taking a stance or implying anything
I can't think of any kind of question that doesn't imply that the instance in question isn't suggested to some degree.
Surely something purely subjective, like "what is your favourite colour?" I mean the question (generally) has no purpose other than to just know something about someone, and it doesn't have a preference to what colour the person actually likes.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Surely something purely subjective, like "what is your favourite colour?" I mean the question (generally) has no purpose other than to just know something about someone, and it doesn't have a preference to what colour the person actually likes.

that question implies the person has a favorite color
Oh I see what you mean now.

No, there is no question that doesn't imply anything, because every question implies that there is an answer, or sometimes specifically a lack of answer.
it's all coming back

Quote by deadsmileyface
bonus points: is the question "can a question be completely neutral?" a neutral question?

No. Because it suggests that it should be perceived as such.

Where can I claim my points?
Quote by Baby Joel

No, there is no question that doesn't imply anything, because every question implies that there is an answer, or sometimes specifically a lack of answer.

ooooh this is good

i can use this
To be or not to be?
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by angusfan16
What is the sound of one hand clapping

i only slow dance to the sound of four hands clapping, sorry D:

Nope, all things in life exist on a spectrum of duality

There is no center

You travel a path only to realize that there was no path

Discovery is a journey, not a destination.

Stay in school
Legato and fluidity in your playing is where it's at

DJENT!!
ಠ_ಠ
When you fart, does it sometimes go back up your butt?
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
but what
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I made a thread asking how people heard about UG. Is that a neutral question?
Additionally, is me asking if that is a neutral question a neutral question?
Is that question neutral as well?
Neutral?
something something neutral.
neutral.
something.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface
like, the question itself is not taking a stance or implying anything
Easy. 90% of questions asked in academic papers which present a question without giving an answer; instead going directly to evidence and not hypothesising would fill that.

however
Quote by chrismendiola
No. Because it suggests that it should be perceived as such.

so, OP, are you asking for a neutral question treating the question itself as the base, or the reaction from those who may consider it?

As it is, 1+1=? is neutral - The implication that a question has a solution (which is not a null result) is implying that everyone knows the answer, that everyone /knows/ the answer, and/or that people know there is a solution. In this case, mathematics are as close to objectivity as humans can get, and as such it's a poor example to make for such things, as something purely mechanical has no prejudice or agenda - math is just the manipulation or observation of figures and it exists separately from opinion. It's like asking what note is a tone above a C is: there is no opinion, there is only research to prove it which collectively confirms how many hz above the C it's from, what it would be in hz if we didn't use letters to describe it, etc. There is no opinion, only analysis and collected evidence to come to a conclusion.

A question has or requests an outcome. That's inherent, even in a rhetoric. It is reactive and requires a subject to be raised to discussion without surety (excluding rhetorics) to be interrogative and as such it is neutral until a perceivable agenda can be is placed on it. If I ask on a random thread "what's a hypotenuse?", I am asking for information on something: I make no directly observable assumptions and ask under no pretense, and as such any judgement of the question alone is conjecture or assumption. So if there is an agenda, you must once again ask whether a question is neutral under evidenced bias and presumed bias. If it is evidenced, language to suggest an opinion or judgement in the form of verbal intonation, context, word choices etc come into play, but these can be removed to a significant degree.

TL;DR remove biased language as much as possible and ask it in the context of genuine ignorance or at least with the acknowledgement that no answer is known to any accurate degree until evidenced.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
What do you wanna do?

implying i want to do something

nice job missing the point dork
Quote by Banjocal
Easy. 90% of questions asked in academic papers which present a question without giving an answer; instead going directly to evidence and not hypothesising would fill that.

however

so, OP, are you asking for a neutral question treating the question itself as the base, or the reaction from those who may consider it?

As it is, 1+1=? is neutral - The implication that a question has a solution (which is not a null result) is implying that everyone knows the answer, that everyone /knows/ the answer, and/or that people know there is a solution. In this case, mathematics are as close to objectivity as humans can get, and as such it's a poor example to make for such things, as something purely mechanical has no prejudice or agenda - math is just the manipulation or observation of the manipulation of figures and it exists separately from opinion. It's like asking what note is a tone above a C is: there is no opinion, there is only research to prove it which collectively confirms how many hz above the C it's from, what it would be in hz if we didn't use letters to describe it, etc. There is no opinion, only analysis and collected evidence to come to a conclusion.

A question has or requests an outcome. That's inherent, even in a rhetoric. It is reactive and requires a subject to be raised to discussion without surety (excluding rhetorics) to be interrogative and as such it is neutral until a perceivable agenda can be is placed on it. If I ask on a random thread "what's a hypotenuse?", I am asking for information on something: I make no directly observable assumptions and ask under no pretense, and as such any judgement of the question alone is conjecture or assumption. So if there is an agenda, you must once again ask whether a question is neutral under evidenced bias and presumed bias. If it is evidenced, language to suggest an opinion or judgement in the form of verbal intonation, context, word choices etc come into play, but these can be removed to a significant degree.

TLR remove biased language as much as possible and ask it in the context of genuine ignorance or at least with the acknowledgement that no answer is known to any accurate degree until evidenced.

thanks for writing my essay for me
make the answer simply "why?" if u wanna look cool n angsty they might like it
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by deadsmileyface
i don't even study this stuff i have lectures tomorrow morning what am i doing with my life help
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
make the answer simply "why?" if u wanna look cool n angsty they might like it

i will consider this i am p cool n angsty ya know
Quote by Banjocal

this.

Also look at statistical analysis. Pretty much every single hypothesis is a neutral question since the answer is completely based on objective stats and computation.

EDIT: And this seems like one of those bullshit philosophy lectures where the professor shoots down every proposed example and goes "Aha! I'm so smart. Isn't philosophy cool and relevant??"
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Oct 6, 2014,
Quote by deadsmileyface

The homework's gotten real deep since I was in 8th grade.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Banjocal

TL;DR remove biased language as much as possible and ask it in the context of genuine ignorance or at least with the acknowledgement that no answer is known to any accurate degree until evidenced.

hmm? hm...hhmMMMMMMMMM???
Page 1 of 3