I found a little bit annoying that the drums were blindly following the guitars most of the time, I think that if they were more independent it really would take everything to a new level.

In my opinion that syncopation at around 1:38 sounded way too forced.

The synth parts were really nice, but I like them less prominent, like you did at 1:29 and not like you did at 0:43.

Overall I think you have really great ideas, that need some work.
Also don't be focused on just one mode, phrygian is nice as so is dorian, aeolian, locrian (yes, locrian), etc. Not saying you're ignoring the other modes, but I always fear when people name things based on the modes and scales they're using because it passes me the idea that they were only thinking about one mode/scale during the composing process when they should actually be thinking about no mode/scale at all.

Looking forward to see what this will become.
Quote by CF_Mono
That wasn't egregious, but it does sound like it's a demo. The sound is pretty flat and I think overall it could be developed more. Vocals would really help it out too.

C4C?

I'm gonna be honest, opening your crit with 'that's wasn't egregious' is a little rude and insulting. It may not be great by many standards and I accept that it needs a lot of work but you could at least find something positive to say. I just think you need to be more considerate about people's feelings when you go and comment like that and if you don't have anything nice to say don't bother in the first place.
Quote by mp8andrade
I found a little bit annoying that the drums were blindly following the guitars most of the time, I think that if they were more independent it really would take everything to a new level.

In my opinion that syncopation at around 1:38 sounded way too forced.

The synth parts were really nice, but I like them less prominent, like you did at 1:29 and not like you did at 0:43.

Overall I think you have really great ideas, that need some work.
Also don't be focused on just one mode, phrygian is nice as so is dorian, aeolian, locrian (yes, locrian), etc. Not saying you're ignoring the other modes, but I always fear when people name things based on the modes and scales they're using because it passes me the idea that they were only thinking about one mode/scale during the composing process when they should actually be thinking about no mode/scale at all.

Looking forward to see what this will become.

I agree with what you said about the drums but I believe you are misunderstood/making an assumption with what you said about modes. I understand what you are saying but I actually wasn't just thinking in terms of modes when I composed these tracks at all, they just happen to be in the modes they are in and I thus named them as that partly because I haven't yet thought of a title, partly because it seems to make it more appealing/interesting to guitarists if I name it 'phrygian metal track' or whatever. In the more complete versions of these pieces that I am working on I do actually modulate to different modes/keys but again, it's not because I am thinking in terms of modes, just that that's what suits the music artistically.

The point is I barely EVER think in terms of theory when I write music, I just do what I hear and then analyse it theoretically afterwards.
Last edited by JamesEden at Oct 18, 2014,
All around it sounded pretty cool. I noticed, in the beginning, that some of the open string chords sound like your string gauge might be to thin, either that or you are hitting the strings real hard. I like the orchestra stuff. I think the second time it comes in sounds better. I think some lead guitar in parts could make it more interesting.

C4C
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1659426