I listen to music with my earphones while practicing my guitar it seems to get a lil boring practicing the same lick or scale an hour at a time is this bad should i stop? it just helps me play more.
For some reason I don't understand how someone would accomplish doing this.. I mean how are you going to be focused on whatever you're practicing on while music is playing? Do you practice without a metronome or what?
Well as long as you can stay focused on what you're doing I guess I don't see the big deal about it.
You can't focus on your technique when you are listening to something else. I mean, technique isn't just about how your fingers move. You should also listen to the way your guitar sounds like. To me it sounds like you are practicing the wrong way. You are practicing for the sake of practicing and it bores you and that's why you can't focus on it. When you practice, you should focus 100% on whatever you are practicing.

If it bores you, I think it's better not to practice it at all or practice it less (or maybe change the way you practice). When you practice scales, you could do it musically. You could practice technique musically. When practicing technique and scales and stuff like that, IMO it is really important to pay attention to how it sounds like. If you don't pay attention to the sound, how can you know if you are doing it the right way? You want to practice technique so that you can do it the right way. And so that your playing sounds good. That's the whole point of practicing technique.

You could be way more efficient. "Practicing" for an hour without focusing on it is almost the same as not practicing at all. You need to focus on the thing you are doing. And as I said, pay attention to the sound. Your technique is good when you sound good. So practice less if practicing demotivates you. There's no point in practicing for hours if you don't want to practice that much. 15 minutes of focused practicing is way better than what you are doing at the moment.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That's like trying to write a novel while reading Harry Potter. You'll end up typing Dumbledore every five words.
To me it's an hilarious mental image.

A guy with headphones on, mouth open, listening to music while his fingers learn rote movements on the guitar. He's not even getting any feedback on pitch, cleanness, timing, or anything else.
I do it but not using earphones, I play some music on my pc so I can still hear myself (random pop tunes so they dont confuse me) and play some licks, not even following the beat/tempo/key.

I only do it when Im bored though, and doesnt really count as practice. For serious practice you want to be 100% focused on the tone and your hands movements.
^ Yeah. And doing it for an hour or more is just pointless - you are wasting your time, unless you think it's fun doing it (which I doubt - you said you were bored). I do noodle around. But that's not practicing. And also, when I noodle around, I can hear myself playing. When noodling around I do pay attention to the sounds I'm making.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by mattousley
I listen to music with my earphones while practicing my guitar it seems to get a lil boring practicing the same lick or scale an hour at a time is this bad should i stop? it just helps me play more.

Why not learn and play with songs while listening to them? Practicing one lick or scale for an hour is a pointless exercise anyway. Even more pointless if you can't hear what you're playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
In addition to what other people are saying, I want to add:

You don't know how well you're playing something unless you're listening to how it sounds. Listening to headphones, you might be building muscle memory with really poor technique.
^ Yeah. But if the way you are practicing bores you, I think it would be good to find another way of practicing the same things.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by AlanHB
Why not learn and play with songs while listening to them? Practicing one lick or scale for an hour is a pointless exercise anyway. Even more pointless if you can't hear what you're playing.

This.

I never really practiced my technique. I only practice technique when I come across something in a song I am not yet capable of playing.

That way you won't waste time on being able to speed pick faster than you might ever want to play. Plus it makes you more a musician than a shredder.
I practiced many monotonous things watching movies or tv. It's a great way to get in some extra hours of practice without boring yourself to death.

Everyone can agree that focused practice is the most beneficial, but you guys are simply wrong to state that practicing mechanical things while doing something else is a waste of time - it is 1000 more beneficial than not practicing at all! If you're serious about being great at guitar, get all the practice you can get, even if that means droning away sometimes while doing something else. Hendrix used to play all day, even while cooking breakfast - I doubt he was that focused when the eggs were on the burner.

OP, as long as that kind of practice isn't interfering with or replacing your regular focused practice, there's nothing wrong with it and it will actually make a much better player than the next guy or girl who isn't putting in those extra hours.
Quote by reverb66

OP, as long as that kind of practice isn't interfering with or replacing your regular focused practice, there's nothing wrong with it and it will actually make a much better player than the next guy or girl who isn't putting in those extra hours.

Evidence?
I will also practice while watching a movie or something. Unplugged, things like legato, picking, sweeps, vibrato. I can multi task...not that hard and you do benefit if you choose the right things to practice.

Headphones and music though...never would bother with that
Quote by Jehannum
Evidence?

Sometimes you have to use personal experience, common sense and basic logic to arrive at conclusions. Play more = better player. Not really a controversial equation.
I used to do this and play along to what I was listening to. Don't worry too much about technique especially if doing this when you're bored. Just jam out and have a good time. This helped me immensely with song structure and arrangement. Don't forget to set aside time for actual practice too tho.
^ Yeah, but the problem with TS is that he doesn't play along with the music. He was just listening to music and practicing technique at the same time (playing one lick or scale over and over again). But technical practicing requires you to listen to completely focus on your playing.

There's nothing wrong with noodling around just for fun. But that's not what TS was doing. As I said, he practiced technique while listening to music on his headphones. This pretty much means TS didn't focus at all on his technique while "practicing" it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 10, 2014,