Researching speakers over the internet can be a exercise in futility.

Over the winter I want to build a 212 cabinet to go along with my XXX 212. I'll most likely be keeping the stock speakers in the XXX so I'm looking for what speakers would work best in the new cabinet that will compliment the XXX or sound good with whatever other head I happen to buy in the future (read as: Mesa dual rec, when I have the funds)

Type of music: mostly metal. From vintage Metallica to Trivium and quite a bit of stuff in between.

The speaker jacks on the back of the XXX are parallel jacks with one jack powering the internal speakers, so the way I understand it, is I should wire the new speaker cabinet in series (assuming I buy 8 ohm speakers), plug them into the other jack in the back of the amp, then drop the impedance to 8ohms to run all 4 speakers. Correct?
Check out wgs speakers I just ordered some for my xxx 2x12
thanks to some good suggestions.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
IIRC the XXX speakers are similar to G12T75s right? I may be wrong there.

Mesa uses V30s for their Rec speakers and V30s are pretty common for these types of bands.

I'd suggest putting in 2 V30s or a V30 and a G12K100 if you want more in the lower end.

Of course WGS and Eminence make some great options but most speaker comparisons are just easier to use Celestion model numbers.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
XXX speakers are supposed to be v30ish clones
so I've read on various forums.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
XXX speakers are supposed to be v30ish clones
so I've read on various forums.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
because the XXX and its stock speakers are very bright (you should know what I mean) I'd get a pair of Celestion K-100 or CL-80 because of the great bass responce they have.

WGS makes a CL-80 clone for $70ish at MF

You also might want to look at the Eminence swamp Thang
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
WGS or eminence
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by RJH11
Check out wgs speakers I just ordered some for my xxx 2x12
thanks to some good suggestions.

I was just reading your thread. I assume you bought the Veteran 30 speaker. How do you like the sound??

I was really considering V30s because I see them recommended so frequently, and if that is what Mesa uses, it sounds great for my future plans, but the price.....I can pick up to Veteran 30s for just a few bucks more than a single V30.

The Eminence Governor or Man O war seems like it might work well too. Too bad you can't just try out a bunch of these before you buy. If you can, where?
I bought vet 30/ reaper HP combo should arrive this week.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
If you want Celestions keep an eye out on eBay. I got a pair of V30s there for just a tad more than WGS Veteran 30s and the V30s were just barely broken in supposedly.

With that said the WGS Veteran 30s are supposed to be freakin awesome so you should be good either way.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
^ WGS are also made in Paduka, Kentucky where the Celestions are made in China which is a gresat reason to buy WGS or Eminence (also Weber speakers)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^ I thought it said "assembled in the USA" on my WGS speakers (and on any I've seen pics of). That makes me kind of suspicious.

Not that it really matters if they sound good and are good value, of course, but you'd be a bit miffed if you bought them 'cos they were made in the USA and they, er, weren't.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I thought it said "assembled in the USA" on my WGS speakers (and on any I've seen pics of). That makes me kind of suspicious.

Not that it really matters if they sound good and are good value, of course, but you'd be a bit miffed if you bought them 'cos they were made in the USA and they, er, weren't.

Your right Dave, they do outsource some parts from other countries. But that is better than 100% MIC in my eyes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah i suppose (if you care). depends on how much is outsourced. i'm just super-cynical
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No Celestions were ever made in USA - they were mostly made in England and China.

Regardless, when I was looking at speakers it was easier to compare different Celestions since they have been a standard for how many years? Get an idea of what you want based on Celestion models since that's what all of the information is in.

Once you figure out what ballpark you want, figure out what the Eminence and WGS clones are and make your decision. That's all.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
fairly vertian like many things these days the WGS components are physically manufactured in asia and assembled in the USA. dont quote me on that.

generally something tht says "assembled" in the USA means just that. assembled. its like food and the term "natural". has no meaning. natural is bastardized. now it has to be all, certified free range organic to actually mean healthy food.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by metalmingee
No Celestions were ever made in USA - they were mostly made in England and China.

No one said they were made in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Check out the Avatar Speaker site, and/or call them. They make great custom cabinets, know all about speakers and getting the tone you want (please don't bother calling them to build a bad-ass, bitchin' cabinet for your little solid state bedroom amp).

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by metalmingee

Regardless, when I was looking at speakers it was easier to compare different Celestions since they have been a standard for how many years? Get an idea of what you want based on Celestion models since that's what all of the information is in.

Once you figure out what ballpark you want, figure out what the Eminence and WGS clones are and make your decision. That's all.

Okay, I like the V30 but I'm not paying that price. WGS has the Veteran 30, what is Eminence's clone?
I think the Eminence V30 clone is the Governor. If you want to buy new the WGS Vet30s are probably the best value.
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I haven't tried it but I thought the veteran 30 was WGS' "improved" V30, while the retro 30 was more of a straight(er) clone.

Also, I would be possibly slightly wary of expecting any (speaker) clone to necessarily sound 100% the same... based on my limited experience with Eminences, they don't sound exactly the same. Don't get me wrong- I like them, and they sound good (IMO) in their own right, but if you know you want something that sounds exactly like a V30... get a V30. If you want something which is in the ballpark of a V30, but maybe have a few things about the V30 which you don't like, or want to save a bit of money and don't mine if it's "close" rather than "bang-on", then consider Eminence, WGS, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't think the WGS sound like a Celestion V30. Sorry. I've wheeled up a 4x12 with four real V30's next to a 4x12 with the WGS "equivalents" and even the owner of the WGS cabinet acknowledges that they're not the same.

I think you'll save money and convince yourself that they sound great (which is all good), but if I want a Vintage30, I'll suck it up and buy a Vintage30.

With one exception.

Avatar's Hellatone 60 is a real Vintage 30 that's been broken in according to their "method" and then re-stickered with the Hellatone 60 label. The best V30 is a broken-in V30 (some of the harsh high midrange has been tamed). Pay Avatar whatever they want for the Hellatone 60.

NOTE: the Hellatone 30 is NOT the same speaker.