so Im deciding between hagstrom tremar super swede and prs se tremonti custom.
Im mainly going to be playing stuff like tool and king crimson and jimi hendrix. which one do you think would be better
As much as I like Hagstroms, my gut tells me the PRS will be a better made guitar. It may not be best for your purposes, however.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I feel that PRS guitars are overrated. I love my Hagstrom, after proper set-up it's better then any PRS Tremonti I've played. This is a matter of feel too, That much is up to you really. Every guitarist is different in that way. Good luck.
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster (Mexican)
Hagstrom Ultra Swede
Music Man Axis Sport
While I do not join in with the praise of the PRS SE-series, I really do think they would be a better choice quality wise than a Hagström.

Known quality problems of the current Hagström guitars are fast tarnishing of the hardware. Considering pretty much all hardware on those guitars are made in house and does not have any aftermarket alternatives, that really put me off buying one a few months back.

At least here, the Hagström you're looking at cost only 2/3 of the PRS.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Oct 7, 2014,
I hadn't heard that- is that a recent or older model issue?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I hadn't heard that- is that a recent or older model issue?

I haven't looked that far into it. I just know that I have seen a too large number of complaints of fast tarnishing hardware on different forums for it to be written off. Pretty much all Hagströms (the Made in China ones) I've looked at second hand has had very tarnished hardware. Basically, the bridges, pickups and tailpieces has been looked heavily reliced on guitars that have only been a few years old.

Typical example here:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/3-17-11/Hagstrom_Viking_Deluxe_Sunburst_M06090114_a.jpg

Just look at those pickup covers and the bridge.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I think you had your mind made up before you asked.

These are pretty different guitars, and you definitely want to have some way to return one or the other if you decide you don't like it.

The Hagstrom has a 25.5" scale and a 15" radius, the neck profile is decidedly different from that on the PRS, it's got a plastic fretboard and a version of a Bigsby trem (that would put me off my feed right there, given my current collection of Floyds and Kahlers). I'd ignore the "internet blather" about the hardware corroding early; as you know, that can be one guy who lives on Malta and leaves his guitar hanging in the sea air complaining and a thousand re-quoting his post. Means less than nothing. The Hagstroms that I've played have been solid guitars, but I'd personally leave that trem off.

The PRS has a rounder fretboard, done in rosewood (I should note that my personal fave is a flatter radius and ebony, and that I'd sooner have that "resinator" plastic stuff on the Hagstrom than most of the rosewood that's been showing up on guitars in the last 20 years). It's got a 25" scale (that half inch *will* make a difference) and arguably a better trem.

Aside from being single cuts, they're not really all that similar, so it's really going to be up to you which you prefer.
Quote by Picksqueal72
I feel that PRS guitars are overrated. I love my Hagstrom, after proper set-up it's better then any PRS Tremonti I've played.

I can't bash an entire brand as easily as some folks do. Especially folks who've never owned a single example. I have exactly one PRS guitar, a deep hollowbody that they don't make any more. I don't love it, don't hate it, it cost a lot of money in its day, it's pretty and it sounds good and it plays well. It's been exactly what I expected.

Almost any guitar, well set up, is going to play better than random examples of other guitars. I have an Agile AL 2000 Floyd B-stock (finish issues) that was under $200, with case, delivered. I spent more than that to have its frets superglued, PLEK'd and a really good initial setup done. The results are spectacular; it's as if the tech (Gary Brawer in San Francisco) were plugged in to my nervous system and knew exactly what I'd like. He's done several more of my guitars, both expensive and not, and he manages to coax the same feeling out of all of them, brand notwithstanding.

There are differences, of course. The over-$4K Gibson is set up as well as it could be, but it's got smaller frets and more radius, a lighter, thinner body and a different neck profile. Another guitar has a flatter, thinner, wider neck profile and jumbo frets, a heavier solid body, and while it's significantly less expensive than the Gibson, it plays better. But those are *guitar* specific, not brand specific differences.