I just want to switch out my old Randall RX30D for something newer and better sounding. I am thinking of the Line 6 Spider IV 30 (http://www.thomann.de/gr/line6_spider_iv_30.htm).

I've heard that the MG series from Marshall is pretty horrible since they break down a lot. Is that true?

What other 30w combo amps can you suggest me?
MG is horrible because it sounds horrible.

The only good thing about the solid state Spiders is that they have lots of features. But all of those features suck so the amp is nothing more than a toy you will inevitably get bored of. It will only make you wish you could have the tone in your head you desire so much.

We'll need a budget and the type of music you wish to play. Listing bands you like makes this much easier.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
MG is horrible because it sounds horrible.

The only good thing about the solid state Spiders is that they have lots of features. But all of those features suck so the amp is nothing more than a toy you will inevitably get bored of. It will only make you wish you could have the tone in your head you desire so much.

We'll need a budget and the type of music you wish to play. Listing bands you like makes this much easier.

Anything up to $500 is good, I'd just want a 30w amp so I can practice at home and maybe take it with me for a gig or two. I am willing to get a smaller one, if it means that I get better sounds.

I play metal, heavy metal and some rock here and there.
Quote by Panos94
Anything up to $500 is good, I'd just want a 30w amp so I can practice at home and maybe take it with me for a gig or two. I am willing to get a smaller one, if it means that I get better sounds.

I play metal, heavy metal and some rock here and there.

What particular bands do you like, and what are some songs you like to play and/or practice to?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
What particular bands do you like, and what are some songs you like to play and/or practice to?

Well I enjoy listening and playing stuff from the Big 4, Black Label Society, Black Sabbath, Buckethead, a little bit of Satriani and Vai, some Pantera as well, Dream Theater, Mastodon etc.

The bottom line is, I need something heavy.
Xxx/jsx/ultra+
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
If you want a modeling amp (since the two you listed are) try the Peavey Vypyr. Pick up a used Tube 60 version and just turn the volume down. They go for about $250 at Guitar Center used and typically less on Craigslist.

They also make a 30W version but it's not tube but may do fine for what you want. They go used for about $100.

These are both the older Vypyrs. I'm not too familiar with their new VIP series but one with a 12" speaker may work as well.

EDIT: Or just get a Line6 POD and run it into the Loop of your Randall.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Oct 6, 2014,
The Laney Iommi 15w combo (tube) is awesome if you can wiggle on your price limit a bit. I had an amp tech look at mine and he said it's got the juice of a 20w amp. Lots of tones built in with the pre-boost option. Tons of gain and it's very clear. If you play with a lot of gain your ears will beg for mercy at about 10 o'clock volume -- small amp but it packs some serious punch.

I bought it based on YouTube reviews (ok fine, I really bought it because it says TONY IOMMI on it) and I'm super pleased with it. Sounds nice at lower volumes, too.
Quote by metalmingee

EDIT: Or just get a Line6 POD and run it into the Loop of your Randall.

I already got a BOSS ME-80 so I'm not looking for that kind of upgrade, but thanks a lot for the other suggestions, I'll check 'em out.
Quote by Panos94
I already got a BOSS ME-80 so I'm not looking for that kind of upgrade, but thanks a lot for the other suggestions, I'll check 'em out.

You should also reconsider that Pod suggestion. With a really good standalone modeler, you can pick and choose the amplification, from headphones to recording monitors to lightweight powered speakers to arena sound systems. A 400W Carvin PM12A powered speaker (12" LF, 1.75" HF drivers) weighs under 30 lbs and can be used as a wedge floor monitor, a standalone, or it can be put up on a speaker stand (pole). Here in the US, it's $269. Someone on Agile Guitar Forums was selling off his Pod HD (desktop model) for $150, and I just picked up another FBV Shortboard II used for under $100 at a local Guitar Denter. Put that together with Meambobbo's Pod HD Tone Guide: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ and you have a metal combination for about $500 that should handle you through some serious gigs.
Quote by dspellman
You should also reconsider that Pod suggestion. With a really good standalone modeler, you can pick and choose the amplification, from headphones to recording monitors to lightweight powered speakers to arena sound systems. A 400W Carvin PM12A powered speaker (12" LF, 1.75" HF drivers) weighs under 30 lbs and can be used as a wedge floor monitor, a standalone, or it can be put up on a speaker stand (pole). Here in the US, it's $269. Someone on Agile Guitar Forums was selling off his Pod HD (desktop model) for $150, and I just picked up another FBV Shortboard II used for under $100 at a local Guitar Denter. Put that together with Meambobbo's Pod HD Tone Guide: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/ and you have a metal combination for about $500 that should handle you through some serious gigs.

I see where you coming from, but shouldn't I be looking for a head amp instead? I mean I've seen exactly what the POD is capable of, I was willing to buy either that or the ME-80, but is it that good in setting the tone you want?