okay so i have been messing around on guitar for about 10 years by messing around i mean randomly putting my hands on the guitar and trying to make stuff sound good.
im over that bs now in the past year ive picked up a few things off youtube and the rest of the internet but it still seems that when i sit down to practise im either trying to make up new riffs or melodys with chords/baree cords i already know or im playing trying to learn small sections of songs i like with limited sucsess. my question is what can i learn how to do ie chords or scales notes ect that will make me a better player and give me something to build off of when im messing around trying to make a song? i have no idea what to practise so help me out if you can!
justinguitar has good beginner and intermediate courses (free, though he takes donations) which have a pretty sensible order to them and which'd be worth a look (considering they're free so no risk).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
justinguitar has good beginner and intermediate courses (free, though he takes donations) which have a pretty sensible order to them and which'd be worth a look (considering they're free so no risk).

Definitely second that, also one of the most important things you can do is simply play music. Playing songs from day one is one of the best things you can do!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
yeah
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
okay so i have been messing around on guitar for about 10 years by messing around i mean randomly putting my hands on the guitar and trying to make stuff sound good.
im over that bs now in the past year ive picked up a few things off youtube and the rest of the internet but it still seems that when i sit down to practise im either trying to make up new riffs or melodys with chords/baree cords i already know or im playing trying to learn small sections of songs i like with limited sucsess. my question is what can i learn how to do ie chords or scales notes ect that will make me a better player and give me something to build off of when im messing around trying to make a song? i have no idea what to practise so help me out if you can!

Learn intervals. (at least b3, 3, 5, b7, (for chords and scales); 2 and b2 (hence shapes for crossing strings, since most scales include these moving from one scale note to the next. Also prevalent in more complex chords). Intervals underpin all scales, chords and melodies. Learn their shapes on guitar (only very few to learn). Realise that the interval shape is determined by the guitar tuning, and in turn deteremine the shapes of all chords and scales. Learn their sound. Learn to recognise their shapes in chords and scales. You're then on the way to learning how to apply these (e.g good landing notes on chords; setting up expectations in a melody). WIth this, the sea of notes turns into a very manageable set of options.
Last edited by jerrykramskoy at Oct 8, 2014,
^ woah there big fella your not speaking my language gunna need you to put that into noob talk for me O.o
Quote by mr42ndstblvd
^ woah there big fella your not speaking my language gunna need you to put that into noob talk for me O.o

He's basically just telling you to learn theory. Read these: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?search_type=columns&value=the+crusade
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.