I am an at home player who is looking for something to play silently with at night or when i don't want to other my wife. Before everyone tells me to get a new amp, my amp is just fine, i'm looking for something to play silently with. I do have podfarm on my computer but it is a pain in the ass to set everything up all the time and often my wife is on the computer editing photos as she does photography.

I know the usual suspect of the GT-100, Pod HD, Digitech RP, Zoom G5 as well as some apps for tablets but im looking to spend around $300 and to be footswitchable and im not sure what my best option is. I play mostly Hard rock and some metal like Metallica, Tool, Mastodon, etc. I know all the top end stuff has a ridiculous amount of stuff you can edit but i dont really need a million effects at a time or anything like that. I just want to get the best sounding pedal i can for the money. A Looper would be nice to have but i would sacrifice a looper for a better sounding pedal if i have to. I came across the Boss ME-80 which looks interesting and is pretty straight forward how to change effects. I just want to hear how it compares in the amp modelling (which i will use when i need to play silent). If you guys could lend me some insight that would be great!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
A used POD HD500 will run you about $300 (or less) and is perfect for what you need. I have one I use for silent recording and have all my patches for that, then I have a patch that is nothing but effect pedal sims I run in the FX loop of my VH100R. Ver simple layout too and is very straight forward once you get it down.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You can get a used POD XT for $65-$75 or an XT live for $120. I have one just for silent practices and they are still pretty damn good at modeling and FX.
Here you go POD XT $69
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Accessory-Line-6-Pod-XT-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110346874-i3858879.gc
And here is an XT live for $99 if you want to control it by foot
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Pod-XT-Live-Amp-Modeler-Effect-Processor-110567892-i3970438.gc

But yeah a POD HD is easily doable for $300 and deff better than the XT
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 7, 2014,
Anyone have any experience with the ME-80?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
I like the ME series. I started with an ME-30 that still works but I moved to an ME-70 and I like it more because it has real knobs instead of a display and virtual knobs. I like just reaching down and making changes quickly. The sounds are very good. I understand the ME-80 gets very good reviews. I've seen ME-70's on Ebay for $150.00-200.00.
I have the ME-25 and love the Freeze effect, which is also on the ME-80. But IMO that's the main advantage of the unit. Boss amp modeling is probably the worst of the one's you mentioned. The FX are good, but the readout for editing is also the worst of all of them.

The used XT Live for $125 that Rob mentioned is solid. The HD500 is a little better than the G5 for amp modeling and footswitch functionality, but more complicated to tweak. The G5 is very easy to tweak and the looper with drum machine is perfect for practice.
I've actually read a few places that the G5 is more difficult to adjust than the others. I kind of like how you can see everything that's adjustable in front of you on the ME-80 and don't have to scroll through menus.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Last edited by tomsy49 at Oct 7, 2014,
You won't find a multi effect unit that's easier to use than the G5.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
The reason why you don't have to scroll through menus on the ME-80 is because the display is horrible and gives virtually no information. All you get is cryptic numbers that you need to look up to see what they mean. If it's anything like the ME-25, which I believe it is, you have to hold a button with one hand and turn a knob with another to see what the current setting is for a particular setting. That was the worst part about the ME-25.

Remember that the ME-80 is a multifx, not a stompbox. As such it stores presets, so the knobs don't reflect the current settings all the time like stomps do. That means... what you see is not necessarily what you get.

The Zoom G series is incredibly easy to tweak.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 7, 2014,
http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/images/products/gallery/me-80_top_gal.jpg

To me it looks like it almost works like a chain of pedals. Granted you can only pick one option at a time for each "section" of effects but each has 3 knobs to adjust the effect.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by tomsy49

To me it looks like it almost works like a chain of pedals. Granted you can only pick one option at a time for each "section" of effects but each has 3 knobs to adjust the effect.

The Zoom G5 is quite literally a chain of pedals, but with far more options & flexibility than the ME80.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by tomsy49

Yes, that's right. But when you switch patches the knobs don't reflect the current setting until you move them. IIRC it will display a dot when the knob is in the location of the current patch. It's a lot better than the ME-25 and that might be fine for you. But with the Zoom the display always shows the current setting of a stomp. And you have more flexibility with selecting and placing stomps.

Not really trying to talk you out of the ME-80. I actually was thinking I wouldn't mind having one because of the Freeze. But one drawback IIRC was that using the looper blocks the use of delay. That's a deal killer for me, unless I intended to use an ext looper.
Does the vox tonelab have very good high gain models? The valvetronix was always best for low to mid gain stuff
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Sorry for the double post but i do have the BIAS and JamUp apps on my ipad mini. I see they do make a bluetooth footswitch for the ipad now. I haven't played with bias much yet. I bought it on sale for 10$. How does the modelling sound on BIAS compared to other modellers? For 99$ it might be worth it if the sounds are close to anything the pod can reproduce. I guess the trade off is you can't really use the apps and whatnot through the amp
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
I just picked up an HD500 for 350 on amazon. Never going to gig without one again. Thats my vote
I think i have widdled it down to the G-5, POD hd500 or the ME-80. Im gonna look used for all of them. The HD500 is around 300 used but i'll probably go with the lowest cost option. I'm more interested in a good sound (amp modelling more than effects) so would the POD have the best sounding amp sims compared to the boss or the zoom? If so how much better?
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by tomsy49
I think i have widdled it down to the G-5, POD hd500 or the ME-80. Im gonna look used for all of them. The HD500 is around 300 used but i'll probably go with the lowest cost option. I'm more interested in a good sound (amp modelling more than effects) so would the POD have the best sounding amp sims compared to the boss or the zoom? If so how much better?

Yeah the Line 6 POD HD has the best modeling in any sub $1000 MFX unit. Boss is using outdated sims and the zoom isn't as good either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The ME line doesn't have the modeling, it is built to be used in front of an amp, more of a distortion pedal, although I'll probably call the second types "models", they are not like what you'd find on the GT line, where they try to sound as Marshall, Mesa, etc...

It is confusing marketing trickery at its best

This is the list off of the ME-50 but I think the ME-80 is the same as far as distortion/OD effects:
OD-1 - models Boss OD-1
OD-2 - models Boss OD-2
BD-2 - Models Boss BD-2
DS-1 - Models Boss DS-1
SCREAM - models Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808
DST+ - models MXR distortion +
GUV - Models Marshall Guvnor overdrive
RAT- Models ProCo Rat distortion
MUFF - models Electro-Harmonic Big Muff Pi
FACE - Models the Fuzzface
MT-2 - models the Boss Metalzone II distortion

metal - metal distortion
loud - heavy distortion with boosted low end
lead - smooth lead distortion
crunch - mild overdrive usually heard in classic rock
natural - smooth bluesy type of distortion
modern OD - overdrive with boost in the midrange
stack - sound of a full stack distortion
hi gain - overdrive through a stack amp
modern DS - large high gain amp distortion
square - synth square wave sound
oct fuzz - fuzz sound produced by octave harmonics
I will almost no doubt be using it with headphones most of the time. I really want to get back into doing some recording so i may use it for that. It will probably come down to price being my deciding factor. May be harder to find an ME-80 used compared to the others that have been around a while.
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by diabolical
The ME line doesn't have the modeling, it is built to be used in front of an amp, more of a distortion pedal, although I'll probably call the second types "models", they are not like what you'd find on the GT line, where they try to sound as Marshall, Mesa, etc...

It is confusing marketing trickery at its best

This is the list off of the ME-50 but I think the ME-80 is the same as far as distortion/OD effects:
OD-1 - models Boss OD-1
OD-2 - models Boss OD-2
BD-2 - Models Boss BD-2
DS-1 - Models Boss DS-1
SCREAM - models Ibanez Tubescreamer TS-808
DST+ - models MXR distortion +
GUV - Models Marshall Guvnor overdrive
RAT- Models ProCo Rat distortion
MUFF - models Electro-Harmonic Big Muff Pi
FACE - Models the Fuzzface
MT-2 - models the Boss Metalzone II distortion

metal - metal distortion
loud - heavy distortion with boosted low end
lead - smooth lead distortion
crunch - mild overdrive usually heard in classic rock
natural - smooth bluesy type of distortion
modern OD - overdrive with boost in the midrange
stack - sound of a full stack distortion
hi gain - overdrive through a stack amp
modern DS - large high gain amp distortion
square - synth square wave sound
oct fuzz - fuzz sound produced by octave harmonics

I guess they list them as "preamps" and are similar to the COSM modelling used on the Cubes from what i see. If your using a clean model you can add a OD/DS on top of it. As a standalone I would most likely be using this to dial in a tone then save it as a preset or multiple presets to use for songs. When i'm playing my amp i would put it in the effects loop and use the modulation effects as stompboxes. All 3 can probably accomplish this just fine so i guess purely on sound alone and ease of use would be most important. Ideally i would try each but i live in a rural area 2.5 hours from a decent music store but even so i wouldnt have time to try and tweak every unit. All your help is truly appreciated to everyone who has commented!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Some ME's have modeling, incl the ME-80. Whether or not you use it in front of an amp means nothing. You can get a used one from GC used site for $199. Search for me80. Nothing comes up searching for me-80.
Last edited by fly135 at Oct 8, 2014,
Quote by tomsy49
I will almost no doubt be using it with headphones most of the time. I really want to get back into doing some recording so i may use it for that. It will probably come down to price being my deciding factor. May be harder to find an ME-80 used compared to the others that have been around a while.

This being the case, definitely focus on the Zoom.

They're great through headphones, and include a USB interface that you can use when you start recording.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have a Boss ME-33 that I use. Its pretty decent. You can get alot of nice tones out of it
A Line 6 POD 500 would be your best bet, although you may want to save up a little more and get the HD500X. I'd certainly jump on the latter myself if I had the cash.
I'd have to vote for the Pod HD here. One of the guys on the Agile Guitar Forum has an HD (this is the "bean" desktop version) for $150. I've got a couple of these, and I just picked up a used HD500X for $300. The ONLY reason I have the HD500X is that it works directly with my Variax guitars.

Otherwise, the Pod HD sits on my desktop (line 6 makes a stand for it). The guitar plugs into that and the heaphones plug into that. Honestly, I rarely need footpedal switching when I'm just practicing. But if I do, the larger FBV Shortboard II plugs into the bean using just an ethernet cable. No power connections, no extra guitar cables. Used, those run about $99 or less. The smaller FBV Express II runs about $49 used and has virtually everything you need, though it doesn't control EVERYTHING on the Pod as the Shortboard does.

What's cool about separating the two is that you can run all the electronics on your desktop and you can see everything on the display very easily; it's at eye level. The HD500X requires you to bend over or kneel down to see what you're doing, and the headphone cable needs to run to the floor, the guitar cable needs to run to the floor, and you've got an AC brick to deal with on the floor. There's also this: lose a switch on a floor model FX setup and the whole thing is in at the doctor's. Lose a switch on the Shortboard or Express and it goes in, but the Pod's still functioning.

If you're going for best bang for the buck, I'd suggest the used Pod X3 or XT live. They're still better than the other non-Pod options that have been advanced here and used, they're probably cheaper.
Appreciate everyone's input! I ended up finding an HD500 on ebay up here in Canada and i picked it up for $275. Should be here by next week! I'm really looking forward to gettin into it and doing some patch making and jammin out and recording again!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
Quote by tomsy49
Appreciate everyone's input! I ended up finding an HD500 on ebay up here in Canada and i picked it up for $275. Should be here by next week! I'm really looking forward to gettin into it and doing some patch making and jammin out and recording again!

Start here -- it'll definitely save you some time: http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/