Hey all,

It's been awhile since my last gear purchase (or forum post, for that matter), but as we all know, GAS can never truly be contained!

Anyways, I've kind of been eyeballing some guitars equipped w/Floyd Rose specials (particularly, the Jackson SLX soloist line). I was wondering how they fare in quality overall? I have a DK2M w/a licensed trem that I find to be ok (the rest of the guitar is nice though), and I once had a Stratocaster w/a Floyd Rose II (Crappy trem IMHO). I love original Floyds of course.

Thanks in advance!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
I don't think i've tried it but i think it's the cheapest of the OEM Floyd Rose ones. I think (don't quote me) it's meant to be a direct swap for an OFR.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played quite a few of Jackson's licensed Floyds, and their not very good. The older ones are straight up worthless. The new ones are a bit better, but still just don't feel as smooth as a real Floyd. The Floyd Specials, I like. Got them on a couple of the Schecter Damien Elites at the store I work at. I play them pretty often. Feel good. Solid. The Specials are the exact same design as the Original/1000, just made with cheaper materials. So, I imagine the trade off is that they'll wear out eventually. But, down the line, swapping out to a 1000 or Original should be super easy, since they're the exact size and dimensions.
The Floyd Rose Special is going to be better, but honestly that's the only thing an X Series has going for it over an old MIJ. It doesn't make sense to me to buy an X series guitar when you could just drop an OFR into your Dinky (which I think is a direct swap from the old licensed floyd) and have a way better guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 7, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I think (don't quote me) it's meant to be a direct swap for an OFR.
Hoping that's the case!

Quote by the_bi99man
The new ones are a bit better, but still just don't feel as smooth as a real Floyd
That's my biggest issue w/the Jackson Floyd. It feels a lot "stiffer" than an OFR to me, when being used. Not sure if mine is considered one of the "newer" ones or not (It's an '06 model)

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Floyd Rose Special is going to be better, but honestly that's the only thing an X Series has going for it over an old MIJ. It doesn't make sense to me to buy an X series guitar when you could just drop an OFR into your Dinky (which I think is a direct swap from the old licensed floyd) and have a way better guitar.
Well, I'm actually debating a couple of options. I've heard more good than bad about the SLX line, and as good as the DK2M is, I still find myself wanting a soloist, but just don't have the $$$$ for a US SL2H.

I thought about trying to sell my DK2M at one point, and using the funds from that towards a used MIJ neck-thru soloist (or used US if I were to get lucky and find a good enough deal on one), but I've kind of been thinking of maybe just keeping the DK2M, and adding an SLX to the herd (granted that I get to play one first and like it) - I tend to use multiple tunings, so it could be useful for me.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 7, 2014,
The new X series guitars are certainly very good value, but I just don't think it's a very good idea to get one in your situation. If you want a soloist and you have a DK2, the soloist needs to be at least as good as the DK2, or else you probably won't be satisfied with it. I certainly wouldn't be.

If you cannot live without a neck through, get a used SL3.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I haven't tried the new x-series ones

far as i'm aware the old jackson trem (the jt580LP anyway) is a straight swap for an OFR too, but I haven't tried the swap myself. There's some info in this thread: http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm#jt580lp

the post-2006 (I think) SL3 came with "real" duncan pickups and the frt-x000 trem, so I'd maybe look into one of those (if you decide you want an sl3). the frt-x000 might be good enough to not need to be swapped, at least immediately.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmmm. My KE3 has the JT580LP as well and the guitar is from 2003 at the latest that I can confirm from old Jackson catalogs (came with Duncan Designed Detonators). My disclaimer here is that this KE3 is the only guitar I've had with a Floyd.

I've done a ton of research trying to find out more info on the 580LP and the safest swap seems to be the OFR though the actual route cavity on your particular guitar will be the determining factor.

Anyway, my point here is that I really haven't heard of folks talking about the JT580LP being stiff. Some folks love it and others don't. The main complaints seem to be holding tune over time.

If yours is stiff, what is the spring configuration, when was the last time you cleaned everything and lubricated the posts/edges? The springs are really what control the sensitivity of the Floyd so if you have more than 3 springs on it, try 3 in a /|\ or |||.

Just an idea.

If you do swap it out for a OFR, pictures of the process and fit of each before and after would be very helpful. There isn't a ton of info on this swap and the JCFonline search feature is just horrible.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .