I have an idea on what I want from my recordings. I've only been playing electric guitar for a year but I'm beginning to come up with some interesting riffs and I'd like to be able to do some demos with them. I've read the intro thread and done some research but I'm a bit confused on the recording process. I had the Focusrite 2i2 in mind along with Reaper or Amplitube. My question is will I need anything else? How would my amp come into play? Can't I just plug my guitar into my Focusrite and jam away? Or will I need the amp? My amp is a Fender Mustang V2. Came with an interesting amount of customizable amp sims. Thanks for the help!
I think the Fender Mustang V2 has USB connectivity so you may be able to record without the Focusrite.

Try downloading Reaper and update your amp to the latest firmware (Here). Connect the amp through the USB port on your computer and see if Reaper will recognize it in the settings as an input signal (Read page 9 of this pdf).

I think the Fender USB amps usually come with Amplitube, so if you can't get it working in Reaper, that's another alternative.

Anyway, that should work to get you started with recording demos. When you're ready to start mic'ing amps, singing, and get more into mixing, the Focusrite will be a good thing to buy. Right now, I don't know that you need it.
What about actually recording? Do I need some sort of software for that? I used Audacity but I could only get clean tones out of it.
What I was saying is that I think you can set the amp as an input signal in a DAW like Reaper and record that through the USB.

I have no idea why you wouldn't be able to get a clean signal, even in Audacity. Was your amp set for clean when you tried it? It could also be that you had the amp too loud and it was clipping the signal.
No I meant that I couldn't get it distorted. There was only a clean tone. Decent sounding, but low and only clean.
Hmmm maybe turn up the gain or volume or preset? If none of that works, you could try adding effects later. Get Reaper and you can run something like Guitar Rig 5 through it to get any effects you'd ever want.
I'd recommend at least upgrading to the 2i4. The 2i2 lacks a pad and guitar signals will usually cause it to clip. Also give the Mackie Onyx Blackjack a look too
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
you dont need any software besides Reaper. Reaper IS the software.

Wel, let me restate, you may need to find and download "VST"s. for instance if you are going to play an amp sim you have to get all the "pieces" for that to work. Youll need a cabinet sim too etc. I forget lol.

Being old school (old dude) I just use an SM57 microphone and a mic cable which then plugs into my focusrite 2i4. The mic is held in a mic stand and sits in front of my amp. Then I record onto reaper. It takes a while to get Reaper going, just like it will take a while to learn any software. There is a great reaper forum that is very helpful and also there is a pdf manual which is helpful. The first few times I used reaper I was frustrated but now its easy. Reaper forums http://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I use drumloops from wikiloops.com http://www.wikiloops.com/backingtrack.php I download a drum loop and import it thru Reaper and that is my first stereo track then I start adding guitars. Reaper has a ton of built in VSt effects etc etc but you can also find a million free ones online

if you are trying to play directly into the focusrite and all you hear is clean guitar then you probably dont have the amp sim/can sim set up correctly
Last edited by JohnProphet at Oct 10, 2014,