trying to decide which to get, the vox or the marshall
play mostly alt rock (no metal shreddy stuff, not a fan)
opinions? alt choices?
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Oct 7, 2014,
The Class 5 if you are playing blues, AC15 otherwise. Not impressed at all by the new DSL's.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thanks for the input. anyone else? i've heard some good stuff about the blackstar ht series...
sigless
so i dont know of the "new DSLs". the 5? 1 watt? 15 watt head? i know 3. 100 watt, 50 watt, 40 watt combo. and they are all 3 thick, cutting, thumping monsters of crunch and metal. i have a lot of respect for the tone they deliver for hte price. probably on my short list of "awesome amps for the money".

i playe my carvin against one last thursday, totally different tone worlds, and i have to say i didnt have my carvin setup nearly like that marshall and it was out midding, out cutting me in the mix. and i was sad inside.

bot those are drastically different. so i see the DSLs as being more hard rock / heavy. if i wanted good cleans / crunch AC for sure. except i need a good FX loop and some 15s dont have em? so thats a huge turn off for me.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The new DSL's aren't JCM2000's. That's all I meant by "new." JCM2000 DSL's are good, the new DSL's are cheap and nasty Chinese rubbish. Calling them DSL's is a marketing atrocity.

I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit.

Edit: 'Twer I you, I'd be looking for a JCM2000 DSL401 made after 2003. More versatile than any that you have listed. With a DSL401 you can still get cleans at drummer volumes whereas an AC15 has a hard time keeping up while staying clean.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 7, 2014,
yeah. JCM2000s are ones ive tried. holy moly. monsters. i have no experience with high end 4 channel marshalls...are the 2,3 and 4 K ones available. ive come across mostly JCM800s, clones and DSLs. awesome amps.

also built like a brick "s**thouse".
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
The only new Marshall I'd ever consider owning is a Class 5 but I build 18W Marshalls which kick a Class 5's arse so that's never gonna happen. I'm really not impressed by anything they produce now. The last truly "brick shithouse" amp they made were the vertical 2203's. It was all downhill from there. Once Jim stopped calling the shots they turned into consumable items by comparison.

Still, I stand by my rec. Compared to the other amps listed; post 2003 DSL401 all the way.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the combo? id rather have the 50 watt and run it through a cab of my choice.

class 5? i dont like those. perhaps if i got the opportunity to dime it. yeah, that doesnt happen. so that amp is useless to me.

if current marshalls are NOT built like a brick sh*thouse...then what does that say about everything else on the market? cause i cant thing of very many amps that are common on the scene that come close. certainly no amp ive owned. not talking ultra boutiques. perhaps mesas and some fenders. my carvin? no. i am really enjoying my carvin, but...i mean, its a solid....well....600-700 dollar amp. its about the BEST....um...600 dollar amp.

i am slowing coming to the realization that in the next 1-3 years, i will only have to look 1000+ to satisfy my tastes, bullseye on a mesa mark V:25, 5153 50 watt, or perhaps a splawn (thought i here modern ones of late suck???!!?) or something else.

my quest for wattage control is over. on top of all my previous setups, my carvin does 7, 22 and 50 watts (highest wattage ive ever owned) and its literally all the same VOLUME. different response of course.

but to me the wattage game is all shite. its design, and control layout.
____

back on topic...i say get the AC unless you need an FX loop.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 7, 2014,
okay, i should have been more specific. i'm not looking to spend more than $750 CANADIAN on a tuber

that excludes the handwired versions of the ac series amps as well. i just don't play enough plugged in to justify spending over a grand on an amp (would probably use that extra $ for a good pre) -..>>> just to give you an idea of what i mean, i've been using the fender 15g frontman that came with my first strat for the past 11 years. this amp is shit. when someone says an amp is shit, i shake my head and think of my frontman. once i get a new amp i will literally have a bonfire for the sole purpose of sending this thing to the afterlife

(also a switch to a lower wattage for lower headroom would be nice_)

i use several fx pedals
Crybaby 535Q -> Boss SD1 -> EHX Big Muff Pi -> something here i forgot -> dd7 delay

combo would be nice but honestly if someone finds me a good head for around 700 canadian i'd prob just use shitty craigslist speakers until i can afford a proper cab for it
though, honestly, for my purposes a combo should be fine.
sigless
even though i've been talking about tubes, here's a couple that caught my eye just now:

the MG100HCFX
and the MG15CFXMS mini stack

thoughts?
sigless
Quote by sysD
even though i've been talking about tubes, here's a couple that caught my eye just now:

the MG100HCFX

thoughts?

MG is the worst of Marshalls offerings, I would stay away.

Have you considered a Line 6 POD HD500X? I have one and LOVE it, even though I have a tube amp that went for $2k retail (paid a mere fifth of that for it in mint condition). The Pod takes some getting used to, but not for even one second does it sound at all digital. It really is incredible for$500. You will need 1/4" headphones or a speaker to run it through though.
would you rec a pod over getting a decent 500-900$ head?

i already do most of my guitar stuff thru a cheap preamp into my pc. i monitor with a pair of crappy speakers or headphones.
sigless
Quote by sysD
would you rec a pod over getting a decent 500-900$ head?

i already do most of my guitar stuff thru a cheap preamp into my pc. i monitor with a pair of crappy speakers or headphones.

Depends, often a big tube amp (as much as I love them) aren't at all necessary or something you want for at home playing, for some yes, for others no, for people like me, both. The POD covers everything you could possibly want tonally (unless you need something really specific, and even then...) For at home playing, yeah I'd day go POD over amp, even sometimes for gigging too, just plug it right into a PA system. Not as cool but extremely effective for $500 (you can get them on ebay for $430 new or $375+ in mint condition). The age of tube amps is slowly and sadly withering away, digital is alot easier and more effective. Not that I will never buy a tube amp again, still need a vintage Fender Reverb and a early 80's Marshall JCM 800 handwired but the POD does both and plenty of others really well for less than half the cost (or a quarter, or tenth) of what those amps cost.

Its pretty hard to lose with the POD, worst case scenario you return it and get your money back. I say give it a shot, I'm sure as hell you wont regret it.

Stay the **** away from MG's, they're really, really bad. Like absolutely ****ing terrible.

Do you gig? A Pod is certainly one way to go if you don't, the HD series are pretty decent. If you're just rooting around at home it would certainly be a way to go. If you add a nice powered wedge to it, gigging's not out of the question either. You do want something like your own wedge if you gig otherwise you have to rely on the sound guy to hear yourself. **** that nonsense. Be autonomous, you can't always trust the sound guy. Some are complete douchebags. A 100W+ 12" woofer wedge will keep up with a drummer and that's all you need to do.

Myself, I still say find a used DSL401.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
that budget opens a lot of doors and an DSL is one of them. i just looked on guitar center used and there are JCM DSLs and TSL going easy into the 450-700 ish range. 500-599 all day. pages of them.

they would be a very nice bridge between "nice" cleans and brutal tones. im struggling to find an amp to go those directions. my carvin v3m has pretty great cleans and can cover crunch and metalish tones, but i still havent found my ideal HEAVY tone out of it. i am not convinced yet its actually a hugh gain head. its "trying" to "act" high gain.

its probably the best 600 dollar amp that is 3 fully independent channels with seperate EQ,s built in boost, line out, wattage scaling, lunchbox, etc. specs are impressive. but its just trying to do too much. very solid 600 dollar head. but will not compete with things in the 1000+ range.

i think a DSL eats it up with crunch / heavy tones. TBD.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
i'm going to look into the pod. i never have before.

i couldn't find a 401 available in my area. all of the ones that were available were recently sold... and they go for around $350 used. which to me, screams "practice amp, that i'm going to wait to replace in a year." am i far off there?

here's what i found available used (i'll be leaning toward something around 650...though quality would nudge my price point up):

Marshall 5120 - $425
Marshall 80s 1st gen mini stack (red, ew) - $475
Marshall Class 5 - $500
Marshall AVT 100w Combo - $550
Marshall JCM 2000 100w Head - $600
Marshall AVT50 head + 4x12 slant cab - $600
Marshall Original 8100 Head + Halfstack cab - $600
Marshall JCM 2000 Triple Super Lead 601 - $650
MARSHALL JCM2000 triple super lead 2 x 12" - $789
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead Head & Cabinet - $800
Marshall jcm 800 1x12 - $900

yeah...

or, at these prices, am i better off just grabbing an ac- series amp by vox>>? (the thing that turned me off those is that, though they sound nice, they're a little too...bright?)
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Oct 8, 2014,
I thought the newer dsls were ok, though I have no idea about the build quality and I would take the Class 5 over the dsl15. I'd take a used Egnater Rebel 20/30 over any Marshall of that size. The newer Peavey Valveking impressed me too. Traynor makes some fine amps at really good prices. The Vox has a different flavor to it but they are also sweet amps. The AC15 is probably my favorite amp that I just couldn't see myself owning unless I was given one or got an amazing deal on one. Only because I like a couple other amps in that range a lil better.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by sysD

the MG100HCFX

thoughts?

Ever hear a cat coughing up a big fur-ball?
That has better tone than a Marshall MG.
ha, i guess the consensus is to stay away from the MG series...

i don't really know anything about traynor. i guess i'll check it out as well
\

this might get some hate but i've checked out the 401 and its not at all to my liking, tonewise. i'd rather go for a class5 for the price
are the class 5s better before a certain year?
any other recs?

also, i'm a little leery about the pod... mostly because its a line-6 product. havent heard much good out of them.

found a jcm800 4212 from 1986, 2x12 combo for $800
good deal or no?
compared to a class 5 for $500
sigless
Last edited by sysD at Oct 8, 2014,
Quote by sysD

also, i'm a little leery about the pod... mostly because its a line-6 product. havent heard much good out of them.

Nothing wrong with Line 6 gear as a general rule, it's just the Spider series of amps that has given folks a bad taste. Marshall has the MG series...it happens...

The Pod's are good gear, well built, good sound and incredible flexibility.

An HD-500 and a powered wedge would likely get you where you want to be and give you room to explore as well.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
laney has some good high gain options in that range but i think thier high gain options are limited on the clean section. the ironheart? can go around the 600ish range. check out some of htier other models.

you have also opened up the game to jet city.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
You didn't like the DSL401? Did you try it in person or was this just a youtube thing?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification