Ive had my guitar for about 2 weeks now and ive just been practicing a couple common chords as well as doing 1-2-3-4 exercises and what not. Where exactly do i go from there? Learn as many chords as i can, and learn scales? Or just keep doing what im doing for a while.
Have a look at http://www.justinguitar.com

He has some great lessons for beginners and beyond, and really gives you a nice structure to make sure you are practicing the right things at the right time. He focuses not just on technique or learning chords, but also putting them to use in songs/jamming, as well as training your ear. He also slowly eases you into music theory in a way that isn't overwhelming.

There are also a lot of great lessons on UG, but they tend to focus on specific things rather than giving you a more general guideline on what to do.
Last edited by bptrav at Oct 7, 2014,
Yeah,JustinGuitar is awesome,I went through it as a refresher when got back into playing.He gives you direction and structure and makes it easy to learn.
Quote by njknittle
Ive had my guitar for about 2 weeks now and ive just been practicing a couple common chords as well as doing 1-2-3-4 exercises and what not. Where exactly do i go from there? Learn as many chords as i can, and learn scales? Or just keep doing what im doing for a while.

I highly suggest learning songs that you enjoy listening to and playing along to the records on top of exercises and the like.

I find that the most exciting thing about playing guitar is having something that you can't play initially that you enjoy hearing, practicing and learning how to play the song, and then being able to play it.

If you play music you like it will keep you interested in learning to play, or that's how it was for me at least. Also, if you get stuck in a rut, it's not because you aren't good or can't be good, it's because of your mindset. You CAN get better, and you WILL get better with practice.

Let my man Steve tell you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atGBKuCJ-Jc
Quote by njknittle

Start learning simple songs now. There's no point in learning a bunch of chords out of context - learn some basic songs that use those chords.

You learn much faster and retain better if you learn things within the musical context of a song.

Exercises are fine, but start learning some songs as well.
Justin Guitar is a really good place to go, especially if you are newer to the guitar.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
+1 on justin guitar

+1 on steve vai

+1 on learning some songs rather than just exercises
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?