Hi,

I was thinking of maybe getting to stretch out and save up for a new guitar. The ibanez uv70p catches my eye.

But, I just wonder. Will I still be able to play 6 string songs? Ofcourse, technically, there would be no issue, but does this guitar feel a lot different? Do 6 string songs feel like playing an actal 6 string (minus the beefy neck feel)? I can imagine that a seventh string might be a great extra option, butalso a big limitation.

Any thoughts?
7 string guitars generally do feel a lot different to 6 strings for obvious reasons, but it's nothing that adapting your technique cannot handle.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Im guessing that playing a song with just 6 strings feels a bit like playing a song in A on a regular guitar (minus the beefy neck of course).
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
I personally never had any issues moving to 7 strings and I still have 6s. You probably won't be able to play songs in Drop D quite as easily since there'll be a string in the way, but in standard tuning, you'll probably just have to adapt your muting technique a bit for chords and that's it.
Quote by liampje
Hi,

I was thinking of maybe getting to stretch out and save up for a new guitar. The ibanez uv70p catches my eye.

But, I just wonder. Will I still be able to play 6 string songs? Ofcourse, technically, there would be no issue, but does this guitar feel a lot different? Do 6 string songs feel like playing an actal 6 string (minus the beefy neck feel)? I can imagine that a seventh string might be a great extra option, butalso a big limitation.

Any thoughts?

It obviously doesn't feel the same... but it's really not hard. The 7th string isn't a limitation at all as long as you're a half decent player.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It obviously doesn't feel the same... but it's really not hard. The 7th string isn't a limitation at all as long as you're a half decent player.

Exactly. Do you have any trouble playing chords or scales that don't require the low E on your 6 string? No? Then you shouldn't have any trouble not hitting the low B, either.

Also, OP, I'm assuming that you already play guitar, and probably already own a 6 string? Just keep your 6 string as well, and you always have that option.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Oct 8, 2014,