Hi,
a friend of mine has a Fender Standard Strat HSS (aka mex-strat). She asked me if I could get/make a black replacement pickguard for the guitar. The pickguard has this "round" humbucker hole (no cover) and 3-screw HB mounting. At least in europe, those replacement parts are awfully hard to find on ebay and I will not buy an original fender pickguard. None of us is willing to pay 40 euros for a f#cking piece of plastic. Instead, I found something different. I could get a blank 3ply strat pickguard from ebay for about 15 bucks with no pickup holes. As these edges don't need to be beweled I wonder if its not that hard to make these myself. I have quite some experience with tools and making stuff. I guess when working slowly and carefully I could get this done nicely. My idea is to make rough holes smaller than the PUs, then using sand paper and files slowly getting them done.
Has anyone got experience with this? Any tips? Anything why I should definitely NOT try this?
Thanks & greetings from germany
Right-wing morons, go suck my d#ck!

Check out my friends' bands...
Unrepentant (melodic death metal) >> YouTube | Soundcloud | facebook
Blutgericht (metalcore) >> YouTube | facebook
Support your local scene!
Your plan sounds good to me - maybe buy a couple of spare blank pickguards in case you make a mistake. Any spare guards you don't use you could sell on ebay afterwards.
I've made maybe half a dozen pickguards. I use clear acrylic sheet from the handyman store, cut it out on a jig saw converted to a table saw, bevel and polish the edges and paint it from the back. This is an example:

If you haven't got a suitable saw bench, I would buy an old-fashioned coping saw to cut out the pickup holes. I rough them out reasonably close to the final size, then finish them with a file. I do rounded strat pickup ends with coarse abrasive paper wrapped around a dowel. When I'm getting close, I check them constantly against the pickup.

You can bevel the pickguard edges with a file and polish them on a buffing wheel.
Quote by Tony Done
cut it out on a jig saw converted to a table saw

Mr. Done, by this do you mean you build a "stand" or "rest" for your jig saw so you could use it as a band saw? Because that's an amazing idea! Why hadn't I thought of that sooner. Thanks for the idea.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Quote by ThePIGI_King
Mr. Done, by this do you mean you build a "stand" or "rest" for your jig saw so you could use it as a band saw? Because that's an amazing idea! Why hadn't I thought of that sooner. Thanks for the idea.

Yes. First off I made a table out of fairly thick plywood that (countersunk) bolts onto the foot of the jigsaw, about 12"square, with the blade poking through the middle. I've also installed a removable adjustable fence for cutting strips. The stand is just a big piece of aluminium angle (actually channel, about 4"x 2", because that is what I had on hand) about 9""long. The horizontal side of the aluminium angle clamps to the work bench, and the jigsaw handle clamps upside down to the vertical side. With the 2" vertical side on the channel section, the jigsaw was a convenient fit, no blocks or anything needed to hold it in place. The wide base of the channel holds it stable on the bench, with a bit of padding underneath to reduce vibration.

You can use the blade like a file by rubbing the edge of the work at right angles across the blade. This mean you don't have to do the rough cut too close, and then you can save a lot of filing time to get to the exact shape.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 8, 2014,
Thank you for the worded instructions Mr. Done! Very helpful indeed! Not neccessary, but if you have the time and wouldn't mind, I would love a "drawn" plan of this. Not only to make building it easier for me (I struggle following directions with words :P ), but I know people who I could share it with. If not, no biggie. I'll just have to carefully read your instructions. Thanks again, super neat idea.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
Quote by ThePIGI_King
Thank you for the worded instructions Mr. Done! Very helpful indeed! Not neccessary, but if you have the time and wouldn't mind, I would love a "drawn" plan of this. Not only to make building it easier for me (I struggle following directions with words :P ), but I know people who I could share it with. If not, no biggie. I'll just have to carefully read your instructions. Thanks again, super neat idea.

I'll take some pics sometime soon, that will give you a fair idea.