Is it possible to hook up the Aux sends from the Tascam to the audio inputs on the EIE interface and then record into ableton?

Proposed path:

Mics/amps->DM-24 Mixer->Akai EIE-> Laptop without firewire -> Ableton 9

Thanks
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
^ ditto.

The jacks on the back of the EIE are inserts and outputs, so while you could do what you plan to you'd still get 4 inputs max.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by chatterbox272
Why? you'll still only get the 4 input channels of the EIE so what's the benefit?

Why? Because he wants to, who gives a crap?

Yes, it's totally possible. You'd probably want to use the control room outputs, or the XLR stereo output for mixdown deck. The sends/returns are meant for outboard effects patching.

That said, here's what you SHOULD do:

That mixer is really nice, and it has some more advanced output options on the back that you'd be better off using. The akai is a low-level interface that isn't meant to be connected to such high-end gear, so you may want to look into a different sort of interface that might open up more than two channels of output from the Tascam.

You'll want to look for an interface with TDIF support for the full 24 channels to come into Ableton separately. Another option is ADAT lightpipe (which should be more common nowadays, tdif isn't as popular anymore unfortunately) which will give you 8 separate outputs from the mixer. Something like this will do the job perfectly for a low price: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ADA8200
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Why not just buy the IF-FW/DM card for the Tascam and get rid of the EIE all together? Then you'll have 24 i/o via Firewire coming directly out of the mixer
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why not just buy the IF-FW/DM card for the Tascam and get rid of the EIE all together? Then you'll have 24 i/o via Firewire coming directly out of the mixer

Damn, how'd I miss that when I was researching for him? That's WAY simpler.

TS, buy this card. Your life is about to get WAY easier!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Thanks for the responses, the big problem is that I have a brand new laptop (Acer Aspire V5, with no slots/firewire capabilities.), hence the need to get from the mixer to a usb connection.

Picked the mixer up for 100eur at a corporate winding up auction, so I'm essentially looking to dabble a bit, without having to spend tons of cash.

So, is there any equivalent to that card that is usb (3.0) based?

EDIT

Would hooking the ADAT out into this work? and then into the pc of course.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA1616.aspx
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Last edited by Spanner93 at Oct 8, 2014,
Quote by Spanner93
Thanks for the responses, the big problem is that I have a brand new laptop (Acer Aspire V5, with no slots/firewire capabilities.), hence the need to get from the mixer to a usb connection.

Picked the mixer up for 100eur at a corporate winding up auction, so I'm essentially looking to dabble a bit, without having to spend tons of cash.

So, is there any equivalent to that card that is usb (3.0) based?

EDIT

Would hooking the ADAT out into this work? and then into the pc of course.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA1616.aspx

Yeah, that will work. It looks like your mixer only supports 8 channels via ADAT but that's still better than two analog outputs.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass