Hey all,
I'm new to this bit of the forum oddly.
I have had a music video made for a track on my upcoming album.
Friends and randoms have told me whether they like or don't like it, but what I'm failing to get back is why, and what they think it sounds like i.e. what bands or genres it puts in mind (useful for future marketing you see).
So if anyone can do that I'd appreciate it. Feel free to comment on the video as well.
I will happily review or critique a track in return, you have my word. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P9xlXJLv38
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Last edited by The Judist at Oct 9, 2014,
Vocals sound a little forced in the verses, but it sounds better in the chorus. Also sounds a little out of time sometimes.

Was that noise at 1:56 supposed to be there?

I liked how the drums and the two guitars worked together on the verses.

I'm not into this style of music so I can't point bands it reminds me, but I'd say it's a punk song.
Quote by mp8andrade

Was that noise at 1:56 supposed to be there?

I liked how the drums and the two guitars worked together on the verses.

I'm not into this style of music so I can't point bands it reminds me, but I'd say it's a punk song.
Yeah, didn't want any swearing.

I don't think it's punk, as a punk fan myself, but thanks.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
T J,
I like everything instrumentally. I like the vocal style during the chorus better than the verse (which is a bit harsh for my taste; even though many other bands have much harsher vocals). The vocals are pretty good, but my least favorite part of the song. The video looks professional. The gal is good looking, but smoking is very repulsive to me: it literally stinks. The verse vocals border on metal, though instrumentally it sounds more alternative to my ears. I didn't miss the swearing. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1657183
on the artistic opinion side of things, The music isn't bad, it has a punkish feel to it. Not a big fan of the vocals. But the music is solid. I just feel there could be more variation on the riffs.

On the technical side of things: The mix is pretty solid, but the bass takes way too much precedence over the guitars. For some music i can understand. I mean in a way it does fit if that is what you are going for. The video itself is decent! Way better than what i could do.
Thanks for the crit!

Musically this sounds great. I'd agree that the vocals feel pretty forced. You just gotta loosen up and let the words flow. I also don't think the vocal style really works for the style, its harsh but not harsh enough, but you could also make it less harsh and make it work as well. The video is good though the continuity in words and visuals could be a bit better. Vocally it reminds me of a punk song, instrumentally I can't really put my finger on it, so sorry about that :\

All in all good stuff though the vocals could use a little work!
Quote by mangablade
If star wars had a Heavy Metal band (no not "Vader" lol), then you would be it. You sound like a anrgy mother****ing Yoda.

I sound like an angry Yoda...is that a good thing...or a bad thing? lol
Hey man, sorry for the delay in returning the crit!:

Overall the style of the track is definitely something I could get into but I think it's the vocals that hold me back? On paper these vocals suit the style perfectly but I think the problem is definitely how they've been mixed in especially as well as a few timing issues in the verse.

The overall production is great but the vocals are perhaps a bit too dry in the mix if that makes sense? Either way I hope this helps man.
Not one to jump on the bandwagon, but the vocals really drag everything down in my opinion. They're thought out really good, phrasing wise and fit. However, there's a lot of timing issues and I think that's the main setback. If you could get them to start and end exactly at the right times, I think the song would flow that much better, timing is just so important.. Also, a bit of reverb might add some missing magic. Great song, really enjoyed it!
Would live it if you could check out my song too! Link
Last edited by Painkiller94 at Nov 4, 2014,
Vocals aren't my thing but thats just a personal preferance. I really like the intro and the main riff is quite interesting (although the lead tone is a bit flat for me, but again thats me).

The pre chorus I think is the most cohesive part of the song, it works really well. Other parts of the song seem slightly disjointed, although that feel in the chorus grew on me.

To be really picky the bass seemed a tiny bit out of tune in places.

I like the filming aspects, really suited the song and the style.