I'm trying to get my picking up to snuff and I've realized that I turn my picking hand somewhat towards the floor when I pick, so that my upstrokes are at a more extreme angle than my downstrokes. I took pictures of this but they are too large to upload.

I'm wondering if this is causing me my picking issues. Should your picking hand always travel in a perfect up and down motion where the pick always travels in a consistent path from downstroke to upstroke? I hope this makes sense, I will work on uploading those pictures
It's a bit hard to visualize exactly what you are describing without a picture.

But like mabbamam said, angled picking is useful to alternate pick faster because there's less resistance.

Paul Gilbert has explained everything about his picking hand in this video, which I think is helpful (even if you are not a fan of his).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWMiFk9WJBg
Quote by RyanMW2010
I'm wondering if this is causing me my picking issues. Should your picking hand always travel in a perfect up and down motion where the pick always travels in a consistent path from downstroke to upstroke? I hope this makes sense, I will work on uploading those pictures

Unless you are angling at almost 90 degrees, it shouldn't really affect your picking much past the tone (angling at around 30-60 degrees seems to be easier to pick than no angle, but the difference is not that big).

Picking issues are almost always too much tension (including holding the pick too tightly), motions too big, not using the wrist to pick or lack of practice/synchronisation between hands.
Google Gypsy Jazz guitar picking - they angle their picks alot like I think you mean. Its good really because it makes upstrokes easier than moving straight up. If you keep your index and thumb stiff and dont move your elbow you should be alright.

Dont ban me - I forgot my password and my email changed so I had to connect with facebook.
Last edited by andypollow41 at Oct 12, 2014,