Okay this is really irritating to me.

i have a very clean jazz tone for my guitar setup with a simple backing track a very slow 60bpm.

I can do very clean in some areas of the guitar, then other areas i can't get a drop of sound out of my hammer ons all pull offs and requires serious force (which causes too much tension to really do anything )

If i add distortion its piss easy, but thats cheating in my mind in terms of getting the technique.

What do i have to do to get the sound out my legato when its almost lifeless, its usually at the frets from 3rd to 1st and like 15th to 24th

Any suggestions =/ ?
Are you "flicking" the string while pulling off rather than just lifting your finger off the fret?
Quote by RyanMW2010
Are you "flicking" the string while pulling off rather than just lifting your finger off the fret?

I'm flicking, my finger tips are like super pointy cos of it lol, since practising this technique now. It feels to me like the strings too tense near the nut and as i get closer to the bridge to get the sound and requires some brute force or simply i start picking instead.

Middle of the fretboard i can glide quite effortlessly but the other areas is not working properly.
There's nothing that can really be said about from "practise it"

Might be worth making sure the action on your guitar isn't wildly off.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
There's nothing that can really be said about from "practise it"

Might be worth making sure the action on your guitar isn't wildly off.

Low or high being easier? I find the action is pretty low until around the 15th fret then its quite high. But if i lower it - i get fret buzz the 3rd to 1st frets. Which also means i can't adjust truss to make it any lower either because of the fret buzz, so its a bit confusing.
The most important part of legato that everyone seems to overlook is that you really need to master dampening the strings you are not playing. It's all about making sure those other strings are not ringing out at all (primarily with your right hand fingers but also your left). For instance, if your playing a legato line on the B string, hook/hold the high E with a finger from your right hand and make sure the G is dampened as well. If you're line is going from string to string, you need to dampen each new string(s) you are not playing - this is probably one of the hardest parts of playing guitar properly and for some reason many people overlook it, leading to sloppy playing.
Last edited by reverb66 at Oct 10, 2014,
Quote by thefollower
Okay this is really irritating to me.

i have a very clean jazz tone for my guitar setup with a simple backing track a very slow 60bpm.

I can do very clean in some areas of the guitar, then other areas i can't get a drop of sound out of my hammer ons all pull offs and requires serious force (which causes too much tension to really do anything )

If i add distortion its piss easy, but thats cheating in my mind in terms of getting the technique.

What do i have to do to get the sound out my legato when its almost lifeless, its usually at the frets from 3rd to 1st and like 15th to 24th

Any suggestions =/ ?

What gauge strings you using?
How often you picking the involved strings? Can get more energy if you pick the first one or two notes on a string (and use legato for the rest). But I'm not that aware of jazz players that use legato with a pure clean sound ... picking gets used a lot (until reverb or delay and/or distortion get added to give more life).
Quote by jerrykramskoy
What gauge strings you using?
How often you picking the involved strings? Can get more energy if you pick the first one or two notes on a string (and use legato for the rest). But I'm not that aware of jazz players that use legato with a pure clean sound ... picking gets used a lot (until reverb or delay and/or distortion get added to give more life).

Well im trying to achieve this level of legato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmZWN4J_I8

My tone is pretty similar, but his legato is so clear, mine is lifeless without real effort.
It's probably a combination of lack of practice, a poor guitar setup (perhaps old strings/a cheaper guitar is partly to blame) and muting.

Are you able to play with purely your left hand and retain sound (no picking at all)? While the guy in your video picks sometimes, if you want to get great legato technique it can be very beneficial to practice getting all of the sound out of your left hand.

Make sure you can hammer on and pull off with all four fingers in the areas you say you can play cleanly in. No right hand help except for muting the strings. Now try this in the problem areas.

Can you play cleanly in those areas with some fingers (maybe your middle/ring?) but not others? In that case just keep practicing with all your fingers, your index is probably very weak compared to the others if you haven't learnt to hammer on "from nowhere" yet.

If none of your fingers sound good in those areas, but sound good in the mid fretboard area then it could be to do with the guitar setup. You ideally would like low enough action to make the legato playing feel easy, but not so low that you get fret buzz and a lack of volume in your legato. It could also be that you just need to practice more with all your fingers.

Also make sure you can control your dynamics when playing legato - At first practice making all the notes sound the same volume while just playing with your left hand. If you haven't practiced this before it will probably be very hard.