I find it quite easy now to play an A chord by holding down the 2nd fret of D G and B strings with on finger on each string. But when I use just one finger across all strings to make it easier for a barre chord I always end up muting the high E. Is this just something I have to deal with or is there a way of doing the barre chord without muting the high E?
No, there's no way you should be able to play a x02220 with one finger. Finger placement differs with the situation. Figure out what the next chord or phrase is and adjust accordingly.
I would just get comfortable playing the A chord (x02220) with three fingers. Usually index, middle and ring fingers using your thumb to mute the low E. That way you can get all strings ringing clearly.

The reason I suggest this is for both finger dexterity but also it means you can add extra notes on top with your pinky. It's a pretty common thing to be done from that chord (same with the A minor).

e.g.:
x02230
x02223
x02222

The other thing I've seen done is using the middle, ring and pinky fingers for the 3 stings, but it's far less common. Only time I use that is if I'm going to an E Major straight after but need the pinky already in position from the A major- usually only in fingerpicking stuff.

With all that said, I will sometimes just barre it with one finger depending on the context. e.g. if I'm playing rock/metal and I want to play it as a power chord I use the finger to mute other strings:
x022xx

Normally I'd use a 5th fret power chord on the E string but occasionally the situation calls for other variations.
Last edited by shiggityswah at Oct 9, 2014,
I've used all the variations mentioned here. It just depends on the situation. Whatever fingering sounds best while being easy to get to from the previous chord, and easy to transition to the next. I especially like the x02220 fingering using middle, ring and pinky, when fingerpicking, for keeping the A chord ringing while moving bass notes around with the first finger.
Cheers, thanks for the advice. How would you do it for the barre chord then? If I'm using my middle finger for fretting then it's pretty much impossible for me to use my first finger to cover the strings.
To play the x02220 A major chord I keep my fingers in the same shape as you would play a xx0232 D major chord but squashed into one fret space. Makes for quick changes between them.
Quote by chrismendiola
No, there's no way you should be able to play a x02220 with one finger. Finger placement differs with the situation. Figure out what the next chord or phrase is and adjust accordingly.

That is very possible. Just not the most common way but like someone else said, it depends on the situation.
Quote by Arron_Zacx
That is very possible. Just not the most common way but like someone else said, it depends on the situation.

I just tried, and yeah, let me amend what I said. It's possible, but I have to bend my finger past the point of comfort, and as I imagine, possibly harmful to the well-being of that finger. The only way I can get it done is extremely unnatural. I'm open to the idea, how do you do it?
I don't think there is one proper way. For example, I mostly play 002255 using a partial index barre and my pinky for the 5th fret. In the rare cases where I really do need 002220, I go index 2nd string, middle 3rd string and ring 4th string. I can do this because I have small fingers, and it is good for quick changes to the open E and D chords (I do D as a partial barre), or anything else needs a full or partial index barre.
Quote by ThrashingDeath
Cheers, thanks for the advice. How would you do it for the barre chord then? If I'm using my middle finger for fretting then it's pretty much impossible for me to use my first finger to cover the strings.

the barre of F is

and you can move that anywhere up the neck 5t fret would give you an A
but look, like most the folks here pointed out, it depends on the situation.
There are lots of ways to play an A and imo, they are all proper. For the open A, I fret the three strings with my first three fingers, usually.

That same inversion though, of other Major chords higher up the neck, i barre like you do, and it mutes that high 5th. No big deal. If I really want that note played, I might arpeggiated the chord and switch grip by the time I get to that string, or play some other sort of inversion that uses it.

I personally hate the open chords and kind of avoid them if I can.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 9, 2014,
Quote by vocoderboy
the barre of F is

and you can move that anywhere up the neck 5t fret would give you an A
but look, like most the folks here pointed out, it depends on the situation.

it's also x 8 10 10 10 8 which I think is the sort of grip he means. If you play that with a 2 finger barre, it's really tough to have the high E string ring cleanly.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Oct 21, 2014,
I used to play it with my first three fingers - pointer holding down the D string, middle holding down the G string, ring finger holding down the B.

I still play it with the first three fingers but have swapped the pointer and middle around. So ring still holds the B down, but the middle holds the D and pointer holds down the G.

I actually fret the G string a little behind the others so its almost like a really cramped D7 shape.

Otherwise if I don't need the E or want to do Hendrix-type rhythm stuff I just use my pointer finger.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Iam haveing trouble with the A cord ,my friend showed me his way I hold the D and G with my frist finger and use my middle finger to hold down the b string or just use the last 3 fingers