So I've got this old fender frontman 15g lying around, an I need suggestions on what to do with it (other than throw it into a fire)

I was thinkin of turning it into a head and hooking up a very, very cheap 4x12 or making one and using that setup for vocals with an sm57

Any other ideas?
sigless
This is literaly the worst amp i have ever heard. I had one as a first amp, since it was cheap, and it sounded like crap even for my untrained ear. I guess turning it into a head would be good practice. Just never actually use it for anything after you're done. What you could do, is rip out the guts of an actual good amp, and replace them with the original fender ones, so you will stun everyone in the world by owning the only frontman amp that sounds good.

Or you could blow it up. That would be awesome.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
People have a real problem about judging amps based only on stock speakers. The single best thing you can do for any amp, especially a cheap one, is to install a good speaker.

There's really not much going on in a 15G. Turning it into a head wouldn't be a terrible idea and it's pretty easy to do.

You could improve the sound a tiny bit by replacing the 4560 opamp chip with a tl072 (it already uses tl072s throughout the rest of the circuit). This would slightly improve the clean channel sound.

By the way, there's no need to bump a thread that hasn't even dropped off the front page... this forum is pretty slow so sometimes it takes a few days for someone to reply.
No reason to burden a nice 4x12 cab by putting a Frontman into it. The amp sounds just ok if you only play clean and only play quietly. Anything else is pretty awful and speakers can't fix this. Take the 4x12 money and use it to buy an amp that sounds good already.

A Roland Cube is cheap and sounds a lot better. A Fender Super Champ X2 is cheap and sounds a lot better. A Peavy Classic 30 is cheap and sounds a lot better.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 11, 2014,
Quote by Cajundaddy
No reason to burden a nice 4x12 cab by putting a Frontman into it. The amp sounds just ok if you only play clean and only play quietly. Anything else is pretty awful and speakers can't fix this. Take the 4x12 money and use it to buy an amp that sounds good already.

A Roland Cube is cheap and sounds a lot better. A Fender Super Champ X2 is cheap and sounds a lot better. A Peavy Classic 30 is cheap and sounds a lot better.

well, i've got an ac15c1v....

i'm just looking for some way to recycle this 15g tbh if at all possible
sigless
The best recycling plan is to sell it super-cheap to a newbie player who can't afford a real amp. It ain't great but better than no amp at all.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Hi, newbie Frans here. I recently bought a FF15R and love the clean tone. The overdrive is more a Marshally distortion (no wonder cause the overdrive circuit is allmost the same as a MarshallBluesbreaker pedal!). Terrible sound. It screems to mod this little amp. I have tried several speakers and the absolute winner is the Jensen Vintage C8R. The jensen chicago mod sounded not so Fendery. The Ceramic Vintage is pure Fendertone!.
That was the greatest mod for the clean channel. The mod I did on the overdrive is: Lower C7 to 100 or 47 nF. Cut C8/C9 and C10 out of the pcb. and at last swap R22 for a 220kOhm (I soldered a 470kOhm parralel on the R22).
With these simple mods the overdrive channel is a very nice overdrive. You can get SRV to DickDale surf sounds. fantastic. You can play with the value of R22 to make the overdrive as you want.