Hey guys noob question. I have been playing the guitar for a long time now, but I have been using a Line 6 Pod XT Live multi effects pedal. I've recently started experimenting with my Line 6 Spider III amp and found that I prefer the sound I get with my amp's Clean, Crunch, Metal, and Insane channels much more than my effects pedal. That being said, I started looking into buying individual pedals, and most of the articles I've come across said that Overdrive, Distortion, and Fuzz pedals are important for a good distorted sound. I may buy a fuzz pedal, but are an overdrive and distortion pedal necessary? I have a foot pedal which controls my amp, so convenience is not really an issue. Also, my amp has a few knobs which add reverb, delay, phaser, tremolo, etc. They can be hard to control since they don't have a foot switch, and they obviously don't have the capability that individual pedals would. Is it worth it to buy individual pedals for these types of effects? If you guys have any tips on important effects pedals to buy I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Pedals arent a good investment for your current set up. Buying a fuzz to run through your spider just wouldn't sound very good at all. If you want to get into using pedals, you'll want to find the right amp to have a base tone to shape your sound around, and then buy the right pedals to enhance that sound with all kinds of different effects.

Buying an OD or a fuzz pedal is not essential to a good overdrive tone, they are merely tools for shaping an already good tone from your amp. Plenty of amps have amazing overdriven tone without the assistance of any pedals whatsoever. Some amps can only get to a good sounding overdrive when tightened up with a tubescreamer/etc. It's all variable.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Listen to Clash. He knows. Don't waste money on individual effect pedals until you have a better amp. Especially since you already have a POD. Without being run through a better amp, nice, expensive, individual pedals won't sound much better than the stompbox models in your POD.
+1 to what's already been said.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I understand that I need to find a good sounding amp before adding any effects, but I just really can't buy a new amp now, plus effects pedals. You said that some amps have a great overdriven tone without any amps. I'm definetly no expert, but my amps built in distortion channels deliver a great sound to me, I will not be playing concerts anytime soon. Although, if you really don't think it will cut it, could you explain the best way to choose an amp and any pedals? Thank you guys for all your responses
Go play 'em first, that's the best way, for amps at least. You've already got a multifx and fx in your amp. If you love using delay but want a better sounding delay, go try a few delays and get the one you like best. Love using a flanger? Same thing. Its definitely not a good idea to just go all willy-nilly buying random pedals and hope for the best. Buying pedals before you have a decent amp is sorta like buying PlayStation games for your Atari in the hopes that you'll eventually have a PlayStation.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you're happy with your amp, why not just use the POD for effects? What effects exactly do you want, what is the amp not doing that you want it to do?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cant you get a foot controler for the spider, so that you can turn on effects as you desire? Im not really familiar with the spider, but i know that the Vyper has a pedal like that, and its a similar modeling amp as yours. But, Offworld said, if you like the overdrive channels on the amp, just use the pod for delays, modulation and such effects, they will sound just as good as if you bought individual pedals.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks for your input guys, although now I'm wondering, is it worth it to buy a better sounding amp, and then distortion and effects pedals? Because if I rely solely on the amps distortion, I know not all amps have a foot switch the way the spider does. I also think that having a pedal board would give me full control over my guitars sound. I'm thinking of going for a reasonably priced combo solid state amp. I will definetly try them out to see which ones I prefer, but do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks
Quote by moskeedog
Thanks for your input guys, although now I'm wondering, is it worth it to buy a better sounding amp, and then distortion and effects pedals? Because if I rely solely on the amps distortion, I know not all amps have a foot switch the way the spider does. I also think that having a pedal board would give me full control over my guitars sound. I'm thinking of going for a reasonably priced combo solid state amp. I will definetly try them out to see which ones I prefer, but do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

It's absolutely worth it to buy a better sounding amp, period. I can't think of any multi-channel amps (that is, with separate clean and distortion channels) that don't have the option of a footswitch for changing channels. And many people use OD or distortion pedals on top of amp distortion, as a boost, or just for additional tone coloring.

You already have a reasonably priced solid state combo amp. Buying another wouldn't be an upgrade. Save your money, continue playing with your Spider and your POD, really figure out what kind of tone you want, then, when you have the money, buy a tube amp that gets that sound. Then, if you've narrowed down a few effects on the POD that you really like using (maybe a delay and a chorus and a wah, for example), go shopping for pedals to phase out the multi-effect unit. If you really want to buy something now just for the sake of buying something, get a Line 6 Floorboard. It's just a foot controller for hands-free operation of the controls on the face of your Spider amp.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Oct 10, 2014,
Indeed. Also, don't let some random guitar store employee tell you that tube amps are high maintenance or something like that. I see people posting in here a lot saying they don't want to deal with taking care of a tube amp and it blows me away. If a solid state amp craps out, the chances of fixing it are pretty slim. If a tube amp has something go wrong, you at least have a chance at getting it fixed. And as long as you buy smart and take good care of your equipment, a tube amp will hold up just fine. It's worth it because generally speaking, they sound much better in the opinions of many guitarists.

Just keep playing and developing your tastes. Eventually you'll get to place where you can try amps for yourself at different stores and then post in here again for feedback on what you're thinking. We may be able to help you narrow down your decision between a couple of amps etc.

And yes, I will reaffirm what 99man said by saying that buying a better sounding amp is paramount to attaining a better sound, if you are serious about electric guitar.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
^ true.

and also as i said in the other thread, you can go tube and have very little maintenance (and cost) if that's your #1 concern. Those little single-ended 5 watt tube amps have two tubes in them which are cheap to replace, and which don't need to be biased. They're plug and play.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?