I've been looking at these for a minute and I've thought about getting one. The only problem is, I've heard people complain about the fact it's made out of basswood and therefore, not very durable. Is this truth or an exaggeration?
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
I would worry more about whether basswood is right for the sound you're looking for. Yes, it's more likely to get dents but I have a RGD 2120z which has no significant dents. Granted I'm no axe thrower but wear and tear is a fact of life.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Basswood is great. I don't understand the hate - honestly. From what I've seen they wear just as another wood would.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
No, I'm the same. If I was limited to one guitar I would probably choose basswood since it's so balanced and transparent. Not to mention, I feel like finish might have a stronger impact on durability.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Oct 9, 2014,
Ibanez finishes are rock hard, the softness of basswood wouldn't be an issue. I have exactly one dent in my RG7321 in the 6 years I've had it now. I much prefer the sound of mahogany, but I know Misha Mansoor likes basswood because it's balanced and has a lot of presence.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Agreed. Basswood's softness won't be an issue man. I have used plenty of basswood guitars during my time as a guitarist (RGs, JSs, JEMs...) and they all hold up fine. Again, granted, I don't throw my guitars around the stage or my practice space, but the finishes overtop will definitely help hold it up.
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
I'm the kind of guy that tries to avoid dings at all costs. I don't even let toddlers in my room which is where I have them. I'm looking for a more balanced sound, so I guess basswood isn't that bad of an option then?
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by dash-rendar
I have used plenty of basswood guitars during my time as a guitarist (RGs, JSs, JEMs...).

Aren't JEMs typically made with alder bodies?
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
The original Ibanez 7s (RG7620/7621) are Basswood and so are most of the other RG models.

I'm more disappointed about the sharp edges which lose their finish pretty quickly when bumped or set down wrong.