Hey,

I want to change the tubes in my amp because I feel the stock ones are a bit too muddy for my taste. It came with 6L6's and EH's. Can I swap those with ECC83's and EL34's without re-biasing the amp?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
BOSS pedals : TU-3 -> CS-3 -> NS-2 -> RV-5
Ecc83 is just the European name for a 12ax7 (same tube type) you do not need to rebias the preamp tubes.

switching from 6l6 to el34 means you need to flick the bias switch (it is inside the back plate right next to the power tubes) to el34 and then rebias the amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They actually run better with EL34's. The bias in 6L6 mode is too cold even when wound all the way up.
Here's what you should stick in it.
JJ ECC83S
JJ E34L - that's not a typo. The E34L is a bigger, beefier EL34. Great tube.
The JJ's in that will remove the ice pickiness from it and beef up the midrange. You'll get crunchier crunch, warmer cleans and more fluid lead tones.

The E34L can be biased hotter than an EL34. Setting the bias adjuster quite high in EL34 mode should be about right. You'll want to measure the bias though to be sure but I'm pretty sure even at maximum bias current it's well within the safe limit of an E34L.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I ran JJ EL34's for a while in my XXX but missed the bottom end that I got with 6l6's. I literally was juicing the bottom freaks on my EQ alot to compensate. I really didn't like the way 6L6's sound in it at all for mids. So I talked to a guy at Eurotubes and he recommended KT-77's and I really like the overall response and tightness of the amp. Its become my main one again after the swap. The run in EL34 mode. So far they have been the best in that amp IMO. I just swapped out some EL-34L's in my XXX II for the KT's and the mids are a bit more thick and smooth. Anyway if you can afford it, try em both and see which you like best.

Oh and BTW be careful with EL-34L's in the XXX. They run more current and have been known to pop the screen resistors due to the low resistor values Peavey has used. I run them in my XXX II cause I know the values are higher in that one but not the old XXX.
Last edited by jgebhardt at Oct 9, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
They actually run better with EL34's. The bias in 6L6 mode is too cold even when wound all the way up.
Here's what you should stick in it.
JJ ECC83S
JJ E34L - that's not a typo. The E34L is a bigger, beefier EL34. Great tube.
The JJ's in that will remove the ice pickiness from it and beef up the midrange. You'll get crunchier crunch, warmer cleans and more fluid lead tones.

The E34L can be biased hotter than an EL34. Setting the bias adjuster quite high in EL34 mode should be about right. You'll want to measure the bias though to be sure but I'm pretty sure even at maximum bias current it's well within the safe limit of an E34L.

Yeah I was thinking of going with the E34L. I searched for the EL34 on Doug's Tubes and they don't even sell it from JJ. Thanks for the input man, I love my Triple X but I always felt something was a little bit off about the tone. Can't wait to try it with these!
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by jgebhardt
I ran JJ EL34's for a while in my XXX but missed the bottom end that I got with 6l6's. I literally was juicing the bottom freaks on my EQ alot to compensate. I really didn't like the way 6L6's sound in it at all for mids. So I talked to a guy at Eurotubes and he recommended KT-77's and I really like the overall response and tightness of the amp. Its become my main one again after the swap. The run in EL34 mode. So far they have been the best in that amp IMO. I just swapped out some EL-34L's in my XXX II for the KT's and the mids are a bit more thick and smooth. Anyway if you can afford it, try em both and see which you like best.

Oh and BTW be careful with EL-34L's in the XXX. They run more current and have been known to pop the screen resistors due to the low resistor values Peavey has used. I run them in my XXX II cause I know the values are higher in that one but not the old XXX.

Well with the 6L6's I keep the bass from the amp's EQ at about 5-6 because I find it gets too muddy otherwise. My guitar is a 27" scale 8 string so as of now, I have a pretty tight bottom end. Do you think I'd lack some lows with the EL34's?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by sbesozzi
Yeah I was thinking of going with the E34L. I searched for the EL34 on Doug's Tubes and they don't even sell it from JJ. Thanks for the input man, I love my Triple X but I always felt something was a little bit off about the tone. Can't wait to try it with these!

Cath is our resident amp expert. He recommended the same stiff for my Laney and it sounds awesome. tubedepot.com sells the E34Ls at a good price. I'd support dougstubes (considering I live less than 20 minutes from his actual brick and mortar store) but I found his pricing and variety to be a bit subpar.

This will also be useful if you do try to bias it yourself: http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-Peavey-JSX-XXX-3120-Bias-Video-Pro-One.htm
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Looks like I was beaten to it, I was going to say check out JJ KT77s if you want to turn it into a monster.

For V1 and the PI, try out a JJ 12AT7 to tame some noise and gain. JJ ECC83 is fine everywhere else.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by sbesozzi
Well with the 6L6's I keep the bass from the amp's EQ at about 5-6 because I find it gets too muddy otherwise. My guitar is a 27" scale 8 string so as of now, I have a pretty tight bottom end. Do you think I'd lack some lows with the EL34's?

What you get from the EL34's is a thicker mid range and less response on lows. The EL34L's that Cath was talking about remedies that BUT unfortunately the XXX has issues with the current draw on the screen resistors due to a low value.
I ran EL34's for a long time and just upped the bass on the amp eq and my MXR 10 band in the loop and it was fine honestly.

The KT-77 however is just right for this amp IMO. Best bass response and smooth mids.

As far as muddiness, I run the gain on the crunch around 8-9 o'clock, pre amp volume low and let the power amp section rip loud. A good eq helps too.
Last edited by jgebhardt at Oct 9, 2014,
The only EL34 I will buy are =C=, the E34L from JJ is a decent tube, but it fails compared to the old Svetlana/SED EL34 (same tube, different name). Now the new Svetlana you will find are not real =C= tubes, but New Sensor bought the rights to the Svetlana name.

I have used the JJ KT77 in my old JSX and I did like them better than the stock JJel34's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What size is the screen resistor? I'm seeing two conflicting schematics, one says 700R and the other 100R. 100 can't be right but 700 is still pretty damn small anyway. If it was my amp I'd be adding a second switch for the screen resistor. The switch is only changing bias voltage, I'd want to switch in a different screen resistor if it was mine or even simply throw a bigger one in there full time. Can you confirm what size it actually is please? ie. actually take a look.

I stopped recommending SED =C= after the factory closed and the price skyrocketed. They are a good tube if you can afford them though. The next best thing to NOS - well, now they are NOS.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ yeah it is crazy $200 a quad, but I think they are worth it in a Marshall.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ yeah it is crazy $200 a quad, but I think they are worth it in a Marshall.

just be happy that you don't have two quad KT88's and another with a pair. thats even worse,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
just be happy that you don't have two quad KT88's and another with a pair. thats even worse,

I haven't seen =C= KT88's for several years now, and your right they are expensive as hell
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If I decide to go with the KT77's from 6L6's will I still need to rebias?
Ibanez SIX28FDBG
ESP EC-1000 Deluxe
Ibanez AGR73T
Ibanez RG350DX
Ibanez AW
Peavey Triple XXX
Quote by Cathbard
What size is the screen resistor? I'm seeing two conflicting schematics, one says 700R and the other 100R. 100 can't be right but 700 is still pretty damn small anyway. If it was my amp I'd be adding a second switch for the screen resistor. The switch is only changing bias voltage, I'd want to switch in a different screen resistor if it was mine or even simply throw a bigger one in there full time. Can you confirm what size it actually is please? ie. actually take a look.

I stopped recommending SED =C= after the factory closed and the price skyrocketed. They are a good tube if you can afford them though. The next best thing to NOS - well, now they are NOS.

I believe when I looked they were 100 on the schemo and when I pulled chassis out I saw 100s on the PCB. The Peavey forums has alot of info about this.
Quote by sbesozzi
If I decide to go with the KT77's from 6L6's will I still need to rebias?

I always re bias when I swap or just replace. Current should be between 36-40 mA. The Kt-77 run in EL 34 mode BTW, not 6L6.
Pull 'em out and stick 1K in there. They'll be 5W'ers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification