I noticed the other day when I was walking through a guitar center that some of the guitars on the wall are from like 2008 and 2009. I was just wondering why they don't ever sell an older model cheaper so that they can make room for the new 2014 guitars. Does age of a guitar even matter? Any thoughts?
why would they? they still sound the same and are the same quality, and unlike electronics, they don't become outdated or obsolete over time. and a lot of brands have models haven't changed in years, some in decades.

i couldn't care less about the age of a model of guitar as long as it sounds good and is comfortable to play. i'd pay the same for new old stock with a full warranty as a new model with full warranty. in all seriousness, what do you see as the difference?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
In addition to what Patticake said, older ones have the advantage that they have had more chance to show age-related changes in structure and tone. FWIW, I strongly favour used guitars over new ones for this reason.

Older models that have got shop soiled or as simply unpopular are often discounted, at least in my mate's store.
btw, martin has been making some models since the twenties, and except for adding a truss rod, they're still made the same way and have the same model name.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
The cellular structure of new guitar wood is generally a little sappy even after drying. A guitar that has been played for a few years generally rattles these little bindings clear (along with natural drying) and starts to open up. Martin has started to dip its toes into torrified woods, which is a method of artificially aging wood with high temperatures, but so far it's only appeared on a limited run CS-00S-14.

So generally an aged guitar in good condition has the potential to be more desirable than a brand new one.