A friend of mine who's a luthier suggested that I simply buy a kit and make my own electric guitar. I wanted to put my own graphic display on the body (and maybe along the neck somehow) anyway. I do love the jaguar body, and would want a 24" scale length, thin D or thin U neck, if possible.
Has anybody had any experience with this? Who makes a good kit out there, and offers support?
Last edited by pointnplink at Oct 9, 2014,
A lot of kits are honestly garbage, with (s)crap wood and sub par hardware. The only way you are guaranteed getting a good kit is ordering each separate part (body, neck, hardware, electronics) from Warmoth, which is stupid expensive.

As far was starting from scratch it is quite a challenge if you have no significant woodworking experience whatsoever. It also requires a lot of expensive specialty tools and know-how.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
You can get unfinished bodies and necks from Warmoth. If you need support, there are forums or you can ask your luthier friend. I personally wouldn't build one because they take a long time if you're doing the finishing yourself. And most people's first finish job doesn't come out that great. You need to realize it takes time to get skilled at making guitars. If you want to take guitar building seriously, then you have to start somewhere. But if you want to just build your dream guitar, I wouldn't because you won't be able to build your dream guitar on your first try. You'll be more attached to it than a production model because you built it, but it won't be better. You have to ask yourself whether the time and work is worth it to you.
Quote by JELIFISH19
You can get unfinished bodies and necks from Warmoth. If you need support, there are forums or you can ask your luthier friend. I personally wouldn't build one because they take a long time if you're doing the finishing yourself. And most people's first finish job doesn't come out that great. You need to realize it takes time to get skilled at making guitars. If you want to take guitar building seriously, then you have to start somewhere. But if you want to just build your dream guitar, I wouldn't because you won't be able to build your dream guitar on your first try. You'll be more attached to it than a production model because you built it, but it won't be better. You have to ask yourself whether the time and work is worth it to you.

Good points all.
What if I were to simply swap out the stock neck for a Warmoth with a desirable scale length?
The would work if you were Emmure and only played open strings. The scale length is between the nut and the saddles. In order to shorten it up and have the guitar be playable at any fret you'd have to bring the bridge closer to the neck, which is quite a bit of wood working in and of itself. If you left it as it is none of the notes you played except open strings would be correct or in tune. This compounded with the fact you're shifting the scale length from 25.5" to 24" which is a large jump and there fore requires a lot of movement, renders the job basically impossible.

Plus, I don't think Warmoth makes anything shorter than 24.75". They are quite particular.

EDIT: I didn't realize the Jaguar is actually 24" scale. You could just buy a Modern Player Jaguar and have the scale you want. But my point remains that you can't adjust scale length by just popping on a shorter neck.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Last edited by TheStig1214 at Oct 9, 2014,
carvin also has guitar kits aswell as guitarfetish... tho im not sure if they have the body style you want
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
IMO, if you make your own guitar, better it'll be something unique in some sort... to end with a jaguar with just a minor mod, I'd get a jaguar and mod it, you can always repaint it or put inlays at taste or else.
Dunno, I've got mixed feelings on this. If I wanted my dream guitar I would build it myself from very good parts. It would be expensive and have a lot of mojo, but the resale value would be poor. I also like doing mods on cheapos, and have done five so far, mostly performance-related, but with some cosmetic add-ons. That's probably the best option for you. However, I'm also attracted to the cheap Paulownia-body kits (it is a traditional acoustic timber in China), and put good hardware and electronics in it.

Ya pays yer money and takes yer choice.
Depends what your goal is. If you're in it for the body artwork and want to play with custom gfx then a kit is fine. If you're wanting a solid player, something you're going to make your main guitar, better to buy one and mod it. Just need to be honest with yourself as to ultimately why you are really wanting to do this.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
If it's your first go at it, I would definitely advise first customising a (moderately) cheapo guitar. In the end you only need something with a neck you like/want and a body that sounds good given a knock, then you can just go wild on the rest. The swapped parts you can then even use for a first own try-out build.

Edit: my point is that customising a guitar will give you a far better grasp of what to look out for when actually making one from scratch.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73