I'm just confused, do I learn them slow, let muscle memory figure it out, then get faster?
I can play James' MOP solo, Kirk's first One solo, Paranoid and most of the Floods outro. I wanted to learn more Pantera solos but I don't know how to start. Help please?
to a certain extent you have to find what works for you

i'd probably start slow and memorise the thing and then try to speed it up, yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I use software called Transcribe by 7th string, and break the solo down into say 5-10 second chunks, looping a chunk at say 1/3rd speed till it sinks in, then speed it back up to 100% then move on, then glue both together, etc.
The quick answer is to slow them down and speed them up slowly.

TS, are you learning the full songs with rhythm guitar and such or just the solos?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
The quick answer is to slow them down and speed them up slowly.

TS, are you learning the full songs with rhythm guitar and such or just the solos?

For now just the solos, I'm not trying to master the whole song, just want to have something to do. A bunch of Pantera solos don't have rhythm during the solos, so that's the reason really.
Quote by It's_Loveless
For now just the solos, I'm not trying to master the whole song, just want to have something to do. A bunch of Pantera solos don't have rhythm during the solos, so that's the reason really.

I'd learn the rest of the song too to build up your rhythm experience. You don't want to put yourself in a position where you can only solo over everything.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
For purely learning and memorising solos:
Learn small sections at a time, play the small section slowly and accurately over and over again. Then go to sleep and when you wake up your body will have processed the practice you've done. It'll be a little bit easier now. So keep practicing it every day. You may come across a lick that you just can't seem to get quite right. Memorise the notes and practice it regularly. You'll have the solo done in no time! :

Bonus points:
Learn parts of the solo in a few different positions. Change that slide to a bend. Change the vibrato. Improvise a little in the middle of the solo. This will help train your ear. Once your ear is a little better, it'll be easier to figure out what's going on in the faster passages and you'll master(MASTER!) them faster.
Quote by AlanHB
I'd learn the rest of the song too to build up your rhythm experience. You don't want to put yourself in a position where you can only solo over everything.

I will, I will. For now I just want something to do. I recently learned Mouth for War and I just can't get the solo. Playing the rhythm during the solo would make me look a bit stupid .
One thing:

It's very hard to play something that you can't hear. That is to say, it will help your ability to play fast things if you develop your ear so that you can hear them more precisely. It's very hard to play better than you hear.
Quote by HotspurJr
One thing:

It's very hard to play something that you can't hear. That is to say, it will help your ability to play fast things if you develop your ear so that you can hear them more precisely. It's very hard to play better than you hear.

So you mean I should develop my ear? How do I do that, beside actually playing the guitar?
You have to make a point of it.

THe first thing to do is to start transcribing simple melodies by ear. Songs you know by heart, like nursery rhymes, christmas carols, and movie themes. Hunt and peck, try to find them on your guitar. This will be hard at first, and that's okay.

I found the functional ear trainer, a free download from miles.be, to be super helpful.

If you want more work, you could get a book on ear training. I recommend "Ear Training for the Contemporary Musician" by Wyatt et al.
^ Learn stuff by ear. Avoid using tabs. Maybe learn to sing.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115