Page 1 of 2
My friend recently told me over facebook that's he's gonna get a Gibson Flying V or a Les Paul. He also has a 50watt MG( ) I told him to at least get an AVT so that it will sound at least half decent. Anyway, can you guys recommend me an AVT for him?

I should also say he won't buy anything other than Marshall.
An AVT would be an improvement, but not that much of an improvement.
I wouldn't recommend it in any case.

What he should get depends on what he wants to play, and wanting to buy marshall amps only is a top down idiotic idea, more than with any other brand, so maybe try to get him to understand that.

If you can him to tell you exactly what he wants to play (bands he wants to sound like) and you can give us a budget we can try and help, but with only this info it's kinda hard.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
An AVT would be an improvement, but not that much of an improvement.
I wouldn't recommend it in any case.

What he should get depends on what he wants to play, and wanting to buy marshall amps only is a top down idiotic idea, more than with any other brand, so maybe try to get him to understand that.

If you can him to tell you exactly what he wants to play (bands he wants to sound like) and you can give us a budget we can try and help, but with only this info it's kinda hard.

He loves Slash(the Les Paul+Marshall) and his budget I don't know, but up to about 600Euro.
If he won't buy anything that's not a Marshall, let him keep the MG. No point in shelling out more money for a barely improved amp if he only cares about the faceplate anyway.

By the time he's ready for a real amp maybe he'll realize that Marshall isn't the only game in town.
Quote by Roc8995
If he won't buy anything that's not a Marshall, let him keep the MG. No point in shelling out more money for a barely improved amp if he only cares about the faceplate anyway.

By the time he's ready for a real amp maybe he'll realize that Marshall isn't the only game in town.

When I told him I have an RG he mocked me lol.
Quote by It's_Loveless
He loves Slash(the Les Paul+Marshall).
[irony]Damn, I sure as hell wouldn't have seen THAT coming[/irony]

Tell him to go into a store trying amps, that'll do him better than any other amp.

I'd see him nice paired up with a Jet City.
Possibly a DSL401, but more 'cause of the marshall logo and the price tag than the sound.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
[irony]Damn, I sure as hell wouldn't have seen THAT coming[/irony]

Tell him to go into a store trying amps, that'll do him better than any other amp.

I'd see him nice paired up with a Jet City.
Possibly a DSL401, but more 'cause of the marshall logo and the price tag than the sound.

I actually haven't spoken to him for a while, but when I'l see him I'l tell him.
MGs sound better than AVTs. People like to apologize for AVTs because they're (arguably) hybrid, but put them next to each other, the MGs have better (fuller, cleaner) cleans, and the distortion is less harsh and fizzy.

Which is saying a lot, I think.

Blugh. Both are bad to think about. Listen to Spambot_2. Get a DSL401 or a DSL201. Or a JCM800 combo.

Or even a Class 5 + a pedal or two. That might be way over his head though, sounds like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by It's_Loveless
Anyway, can you guys recommend me an AVT for him?

not in good conscience

Quote by Roc8995

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 9, 2014,
give us location and budget and we can find a decent Marshall, because neither of those options are very good at all.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Psychologically speaking, when you like a brand (this usually applies to anything you buy) of amplifiers, it is far more likely that you'll ear those amps sound better. When something is "nice looking", it tells your brain is sounds better and that its quality is superior.

Point is, he might like the Marshall better. Still you could recommand him something else.

I bought myself an AVT20X for 100$. It's my bedroom amp. Honestly it does the job good enough. Not gigworthy whatsoever. As far as I'm concerned, it is better than an MG and a Peavey Vypyr 30 I had (the peavey was better high gain I should precise).
The difference between an MG and an AVT is akin to the difference between cat shit and dog shit - you don't want either in your sandwich.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by It's_Loveless
When I told him I have an RG he mocked me lol.

tell him to get the atv.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah, **** him. As much as I dislike RG's, they shit all over either of those Marshalls.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by diabolical
Tell him to look at the DSL line, AVT would be some improvement but not that much...

Yeah, ok, thanks.
Quote by Robbgnarly
give us location and budget and we can find a decent Marshall, because neither of those options are very good at all.

Poland, around 600euro, I don't know his exact budget, but his "rich" parents probably won't spend more on him.
Well then a Jet City JCA2212 combo from Thomann.de would be the choice
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Agreed
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Well then a Jet City JCA2212 combo from Thomann.de would be the choice

Quote by Cathbard
Agreed

You guys don't understand, he won't get a JC, he will only get a Marshall(for the name I guess). Also, the last time I checked, the 2x12 combos aren't being sold anymore.
He knows what he wants. So let him do what he wants. One day he might realise that you need to shop for these things with your ears, not your eyes.

Although, from the OP I gather he is not actually looking for an amp, rather he is looking to get a new guitar and you've decided that he should also get a new amp?

What if he is happy with his MG?
Quote by Myshadow46_2
He knows what he wants. So let him do what he wants. One day he might realise that you need to shop for these things with your ears, not your eyes.

Although, from the OP I gather he is not actually looking for an amp, rather he is looking to get a new guitar and you've decided that he should also get a new amp?

What if he is happy with his MG?

He said it sounds fantastic( ), but if he actually gets that Les Paul, then that combination would be blasphemy.
Quote by It's_Loveless
You guys don't understand, he won't get a JC, he will only get a Marshall
Judging from what you told us, he's the one not understanding
Quote by It's_Loveless
(for the name I guess)
How is it that you still have to guess?
Quote by It's_Loveless
Also, the last time I checked, the 2x12 combos aren't being sold anymore.
The 2212 was never a 2x12 combo.
Also 2x12 combo's are pretty big and heavy and bulky, a 2x12 half stack or a 1x12 combo would be better imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Judging from what you told us, he's the one not understanding
How is it that you still have to guess?
The 2212 was never a 2x12 combo.
Also 2x12 combo's are pretty big and heavy and bulky, a 2x12 half stack or a 1x12 combo would be better imo.

What was the JCA212? Pretty sure it was a combo.
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 10, 2014,
The 2212c is a 2ch 20w 1x12" combo, the 2112rc is a 1ch 20w 1x12" combo, then they make a 2x12" cab called 24S and one called 24S+, and then they make one 2x12" 50w combo.

The JCA212 doesn't exist.
That name doesn't at least.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The 2212c is a 2ch 20w 1x12" combo, the 2112rc is a 1ch 20w 1x12" combo, then they make a 2x12" cab called 24S and one called 24S+, and then they make one 2x12" 50w combo.

The JCA212 doesn't exist.
That name doesn't at least.

Well shit, I've been fooled my entire life. I'm gonna tell him about these and see what he thinks, but the most I expect is him telling me I can't play guitar because I want a 7-string .
The JCA2212 is the one with the SLO preamp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I have one more question, what would be better to buy, a:
-Dean ML 79 F TBZ(The set neck and DMT pickups)
-ESP LTD JH-330 Jeff Hanneman Sig.(Bolt on, ESP designed ALH-200 (B & N) active pickups)
I would want the Dean most, but I think the LTD is a bit better. What do you think?

EDIT:Marshall 8280 Bichorus 200 is this the one Chuck from Death used?
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 10, 2014,
Does he want Chuck's sound? Really?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Does he want Chuck's sound? Really?

That's me asking. OH, and jest because he played SS doesn't mean his rltone sucked. Maybe he prefered SS over tube, don't you think?
A lot of people like it, I'm just not one of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Hanemann over the Dean for sure although I'd probably get a non sig. guitar with same specs, on the cheapies (LTD) you pay more for the name than quality.

Chuck used vs8100 head into 1960a and b cabs. I have that head and it sounds thrashtastic on the older 1960 cabs, paired with its own valvestate cab it was dogshite.
I tried running a VS8100 through my 1960A and a sublime Soldano 2x12 cab in the 90's. Still didn't like it. If neither of those cabs could do it for me, then I just don't like them. Case closed.
I really hate Valvestates in case you didn't notice.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A lot of people like it, I'm just not one of them.

I understand and respect that. But his tone wasn't shit.

Quote by diabolical
The Hanemann over the Dean for sure although I'd probably get a non sig. guitar with same specs, on the cheapies (LTD) you pay more for the name than quality.

Chuck used vs8100 head into 1960a and b cabs. I have that head and it sounds thrashtastic on the older 1960 cabs, paired with its own valvestate cab it was dogshite.

EDIT:How about a Jackson soloist? Specs:
Jackson SLATXMG3-6 Soloist SW, electric guitar, soloist-series, mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, 24 jumbo frets, 648mm scale, thomann 1x EMG 81 humbucking pickup (bridge), 1x EMG 85 humbucking pickup(neck), floyd rose tremolo, color: snow white

Or a BC Rich Exotic Perfect 10 Blood(No trem tho)?
Specs:
BC Rich Bich Exotic Perfect 10 BLO, E-Guitar, 10 string, Nato Body, Maple Neck through, Ebony Fretboard, 24 Jumbo thomann Frets, Tune o matic Bridge, 2 duncan designed humbucker pickups, Hardware chrome, Color: "Dragon's Blood", suitable BC Rich Case # 297486 available separately.
Last edited by It's_Loveless at Oct 11, 2014,
It was IMO. But each to their own.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I tried running a VS8100 through my 1960A and a sublime Soldano 2x12 cab in the 90's. Still didn't like it. If neither of those cabs could do it for me, then I just don't like them. Case closed.
I really hate Valvestates in case you didn't notice.

In my case it was my first professional amp. I was forced to buy it at the time as I joined a touring band and HAD to have a Marshall and it HAD to be half stack. The other guy was Rocktron Piranha player behing the scenes but the front was a jcm800 half stack that he was plugging the Piranha into via fx loop. So in order to oblige I got the vs8100 (at the time jcm800 sounded awfully bland, and didnt want used, what do you know now?). I experimented with speakers and a buddy had a torn roadworn Marshall 1960 cab that came off of a late 70s head, probably Plexi, that amp sounded fantastic through that. Kinda when it peaked my ear that the cab plays as much if not more of a role in the sound.

Anyhow, I think that Vs series was quite good tonewise, but the built was kinda shoddy, I had to pay for jack repairs all the time. It doesn't hold a candle to my current JCM900 but it is one one of the fewer solid state that I like. The other two are a Gallien Kruger combo and the Ampeq.
Last edited by diabolical at Oct 11, 2014,
I had one in my band room for quite a while.
I was playing with a guy recently that had a VS8080. I hated that thing. When we did important gigs, I'd give him my old JCM900 to use. Well, could you imagine a VS8080 alongside my RM100 and an 800W 610 Mark Bass? ****ing fiasco.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 11, 2014,
What do you think about these two guitars in #34?
I probably won't get the BC Rich since it's too expensive, but that soloist seems like a good choice.
Don't know the other but the soloists aren't too bad. They have EMG 81/85 don't they? I'm yet to hear EMG actives into a SS amp that I liked. Mate it up to a half decent tube amp though and they're pretty good - if you know how to drive them.

Just googled it. What an ugly guitar. And do you actually want 10 strings? Would be a bit limiting. Sort of thing you'd buy after you have the guitars you actually need and were just indulging yourself.

Edit: and it has shitty Duncan Designed pickups. So you'd have to add the price of new pickups too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 11, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Don't know the other but the soloists aren't too bad. They have EMG 81/85 don't they? I'm yet to hear EMG actives into a SS amp that I liked. Mate it up to a half decent tube amp though and they're pretty good - if you know how to drive them.

Just googled it. What an ugly guitar. And do you actually want 10 strings? Would be a bit limiting. Sort of thing you'd buy after you have the guitars you actually need and were just indulging yourself.

Edit: and it has shitty Duncan Designed pickups. So you'd have to add the price of new pickups too.

I looked at it because Dave Mustaine played it during his Metallica days. I seen it and thought "Wow, what an awesome guitar!", but I doubt I'd actually get it.
EDIT: Yes, the soloist has EMG's. I wonder if they sell it in different colours, rather than the standard white.
Page 1 of 2