Hello, I have an Ibanez GRG120BDX and it has a FAT-6 tremolo on it that is like a vintage 6 screw strat tremolo. I have got it to stay in tune pretty well but I would like to install a Floyd Rose in it. Have any of you guys installed a Floyd Rose on a vintage style trem equipped guitar? And before you say it is a cheap guitar and its not worth it, I think it is and the guitar is actually decent for its price.
It's true, it's not worth it. A good Floyd costs the same price as the guitar itself and then you have to add paying someone to install it for you which isn't cheap. It can easily cost over twice as much as your guitar. Putting $400 worth of work in a $200 dollar guitar doesn't make it as good or better than $600 guitars.
^ agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Floyd Rose Original is around €290 here in Europe, and it will most definitely not fit without modification of the guitar. Even if you decide to top-mount, you will at the very least have to carve out the neck for the installation of the locking nut, as without it the tremolo would be without purpose.

Then the mounting studs will most likely not fit in the holes of the previous trem, they can be further apart and you would have to fill in the old holes and drill new ones. If you want the trem to be recessed, it would require extensive routing.

It is probably doable, if you find someone who is willing to, but expect a quote well over €200. Most sensible luthiers would advice you not to.

US prices are a bit different, but expect something along 500 USD or more.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Eh if you deck the FR and not recess it then your good and it is fairly easy. If you want a recessed cavity then get a new guitar. even a cheap FR will hold tune good if it is decked

this is decked
(Invalid img)

This is recessed
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you have the money and you really like the guitar I guess nobody could stop you from trying but honestly, Id just look for another guitar.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
For $600 you can get a MIJ Jackson with a Floyd Rose. And more than likely EMG or SD pickups.

I'd go with a new guitar. 'Cause, like you said, the guitar stays in tune pretty well. So If I were you, like others have already said, go for a new (or better, used) guitar with a floyd rose trem in it already. Plus, you can keep your original axe and add a newer one to the family with the specs you want.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
It's definitely possible. Heck, LOTS of guys (me included) did it to their Strats back in the 80's.

The least intrusive way to do it would be to

1) Find a behind-the-nut string lock so you don't have to modify your nut.
2) Surface-mount the Floyd (no recess).
3) Shim the neck (to account for the new height of the bridge).
4) Raise your pickups to match the new string height.

With that being said, you won't get full use out of the trem without the recess (limited pull-up range) and the guitar will feel entirely different b/c the strings will sit further off the face of the guitar. But, the job really isn't all that complicated.
Quote by mayhemguitars12
And before you say it is a cheap guitar and its not worth it, I think it is and the guitar is actually decent for its price.

I'm glad you like the guitar. Installing a Floyd will require specific routing, plus the cost of the Floyd, and I think you're looking at a $350-500 bill to do that (including the cost of a real FRO). This is not something you want to try to do on the cheap, or you'll be asking yourself "why did I bother?"
Quote by dspellman
I'm glad you like the guitar. Installing a Floyd will require specific routing, plus the cost of the Floyd, and I think you're looking at a $350-500 bill to do that (including the cost of a real FRO). This is not something you want to try to do on the cheap, or you'll be asking yourself "why did I bother?"

Not if you flush mount the Floyd
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Buy a floyd equipped guitar. You're getting yourself in way over your head financially trying to mod a cheap guitar. Sell it and buy what you want.
2013 Les Paul Signature T Alpine White Burst
2013 Les Paul 60s Tribute Vintage Sunburst with 50s wiring Orange Drops and a JB and a 59 Duncan
Jackson Dinky Pro DK2M Satin Black
Blackstar HT5TH