I recently bought a Charvel Desolation guitar that has EMG 81/85 active pickups, which I have never had on a guitar in the past (I have passive on my other 4 guitars) I bought it from Sweetwater and they have the 55 point inspection which of course includes setting the pickup height. When I received the guitar, I noticed that the neck pickup is very low and the bridge pickup is very high, which I've never had a setup done where the bridge pickup was this high - it's about a quarter of an inch from the strings. When I palm mute, the strings don't touch the pickup but they come pretty close! Does anyone have advice on whether or not I should lower the pickup? I don't know if the guitar tech at Sweetwater sets all the guitars up like this or if he didn't bother changing it from how it was shipped from Charvels factory. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Lower it. Raise it. Experiment. Pickup height is easy as hell to adjust and the changes are easily reversible. Get a screwdriver and have fun.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Adjust it yourself. Don't be afraid to experiment. The way guitars are set up from the factory usually sucks anyway.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I set up book I got recently said a good starting point is 4/16th of an inch from the strings on either pickup. (Possibly 5/16ths on the neck? I'll check when I get home.) That's how I set it, but he world is your oyster.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Active pickups can be extremely close to the strings because they don't have much magnetic pull.
I would leave the bridge pickup as long as it's not causing any problems by touching the strings, then adjust the neck pickup (if necessary) until it's the same volume as the bridge.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
EMG recommends that you place the bridge pickup as close to the strings as possible. The neck pickup is usually a little further from the strings to balance out the volume difference between the two pickups. I thought one of my guitars didn't have the output of my other guitars (all were equipped with active pickups, EMG or SD Blackouts) until I noticed the difference in pickup heights...they definitely do have a strong influence on the sounds you will get out of your guitar.
Last edited by craigjames4 at Oct 9, 2014,
^ yeah that's what i thought. the emgs on my jackson were pretty close to the strings when i got it. i'm lazy so that means they're still pretty close to the strings
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Active pickups can be extremely close to the strings because they don't have much magnetic pull.
I would leave the bridge pickup as long as it's not causing any problems by touching the strings, then adjust the neck pickup (if necessary) until it's the same volume as the bridge.

This. That's why there's a battery to boost the signal.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .