Okay, this is a head scratcher that has been going on for some time, but I just ignored it because I don't use pedals much.

Amp is a XXX212
pedals are a TS-9 and a Planet waves tuner. Both powered by a OneSpot.

I'm thinking about getting a few more, but until I figure out the noise issue, I can't.

Quite a bit of the time, I am just plugging straight from the guitar to amp, but if I want to use any pedals, I can get a bunch of noise on the dirty channel. Let me explain:
1) guitar plugged directly into amp with any of my 4 longer cords I own = dead quiet.
2) Any of them plugged from the amp to the pedals and another from the pedals to the guitar will make the amp hum on the dirty channel only.
3) using the 6" pedal patch cords to plug the pedals into the amp then a long cord to the guitar = no noise. (but the pedals are on top of the amp now...That won't work.
4) leaving the pedals up on top of the amp and using a longer cord= noise.
5) unplugging the OneSpot so the pedals aren't powered anymore = quiet. plugging in either pedal= noise.

This leaves me with a few thoughts.
Could it be the One Spot??? If so, how come there is no noise when the pedals are plugged in with a 6" patch cord?
Could it be the fluorescent lights? Well, there is always that, but it doesn't explain why the amp is dead silent with the short cord or when the guitar is plugged directly into the amp.
Could it be the longer cords? How?? 2 of my 4 are pretty high quality cords, and all 4 will give the same result.

Any thoughts?
I have the exact same amp and use the one spot its not to noisey with pedals but its not the cleanest power supply. Try batteries once and turn off the lights once as well.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
I have the exact same amp and use the one spot its not to noisey with pedals but its not the cleanest power supply. Try batteries once and turn off the lights once as well.

Well, yeah. After you said it, it made a lot of sense. Turn off the lights...No dice. Still noisy.

No batteries on hand currently. That is something I thought of when writing the thread, but using batteries isn't really a long term solution, and it does 't explain how they sit on my amp with the little 6" pig tails and make no (or very little) noise when wired this way.
Longer leads are going to allow more noise to come through regardless of quality. Someone can explain it better I'm sure.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Buy some batteries and try them. I'm not suggesting that you use batteries permanently, it's just to test the power supply. The easiest way to test everything is via substitution. It may be a cable, it may be the power supply, it may be one of the pedals. You have to be methodical and test everything. Start with just cable into amp and then methodically add things one by one until you identify the culprit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Try a different power outlet or room all together if your place has old wiring that can also make unwanted noise.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I can vouch for the power supply, if that's the case.

Same issue for me, I popped batteries in my effects and it went away, so I switched from a one spot to a VDL Pedal Power 2 Plus - problem solved.

However, as also mentioned it can be a list of things contributing to the noise.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
+1^ my first clean boost build picked up radio signals CB's alien transmissions you name it.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Damn OneSpot was the issue. Put batteries in and everything was quiet again. Even used my cheapo cords to make sure and even those were quiet. Weird. I was using the OneSpot without issues with a small practice amp, but it sure didn't mesh well with the XXX.

Question for any electrical engineers in the room: If the OneSpot was putting noise into the system, why only with longer cords between the pedal and the amp? With a short 6" cord, no issues.

Next question: Any recommendations for a quiet power supply for the pedals? I'd rather not spend much, but I am guessing I will have to.
either get an iso power distribution box, or a power conditioner.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
what are the settings on the amp and OD pedal?

gain volume and bass mid treble
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
What about amp ground switch?
I had similar issue with power supply for a board and the culprit was a Boss that wasn't running off of its own adapter, nothing wrong with the other 5 or so pedals I had but the DD3 hated to share power.
The only explanation I can offer is perhaps those cables were loading down the pedals and making the power supply work harder. Just a guess but I can't imagine any other diagnosis for that conjunction of events.
Get a decent power supply. I make my own based around a 7809 regulator. Voodoo Labs seem pretty good, they use proper regulators IIRC. What's your total current draw?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Oct 11, 2014,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what are the settings on the amp and OD pedal?

gain volume and bass mid treble

Not really sure how this info helps, but here you go:

Amp: gain 5, volume 5, bass 8, mid 7 (4 when playing Metallica), treb 9.
TS-9: gain 1, tone 6, level 6-7.
Quote by Cathbard
The only explanation I can offer is perhaps those cables were loading down the pedals and making the power supply work harder. Just a guess but I can't imagine any other diagnosis for that conjunction of events.
Get a decent power supply. I make my own based around a 7809 regulator. Voodoo Labs seem pretty good, they use proper regulators IIRC. What's your total current draw?

No idea, I never measured the current, but like I said, I'm only running two pedals. I did check yesterday and the noise was there with only one pedal powered by the one spot.
Quote by diabolical
What about amp ground switch?

Ground switch did nothing to help. I tried all 3 positions.
Quote by Jeffh40
Not really sure how this info helps, but here you go:

Amp: gain 5, volume 5, bass 8, mid 7 (4 when playing Metallica), treb 9.
TS-9: gain 1, tone 6, level 6-7.

good. it may seem odd, but there are people who turn the gain to 10 on everything and go way over the top. if you were running your gain at 10 it could just hit like crazy.

odd shot it is but you really don't know.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!