I leave from my home outside of Toronto in 4 days for my music pilgrimage down south, Nashville then to the crossroads and stopping in Texas to spend some time with a friend and catch a football game. On my travels I want to check shops for a Gibson Explorer. I love this guitar as much as I love my V's. However today at my local music shop a used black 2010 came in. Thankfully my guitar teacher is holding it for me in case I can't one. $800 is what there asking, no scratches or dings. As far as my new hands and ears go it's really nice. So now im trying to figure out which amp I'm going to grab, thinking line 6 spider it has a 24 minute looper built in amongst many other bells and whistles or line 6 amplifi, the only downfall is needing an ios device to have complete control over it. Any suggestions?

Id love to be able to post pics of the guitar but have no clue how to post bigger pics.
Quote by luckotdraw
So now im trying to figure out which amp I'm going to grab, thinking line 6 spider it has a 24 minute looper built in amongst many other bells and whistles or line 6 amplifi

Careful there. The Spider is a much-hated amplifier, for all kinds of reasons. While I think hating the spider is a bit of a bandwagon issue, the fact that so many people dislike it very very much is telling.

You might want to shop around for a Line 6 POD HD. I own the flagship model (the 500) and it's fantastic for apartment in which I live, with its paper walls. Then again, the POD HD 500 does not have a speaker built in. It's great for home recordings though.
Yeah
Line 6 spiders are notoriously bad. No amount of built-in effects can cover up the awful tone... And frankly, from my experience all of the built in effects are pretty bad anyways.

If a spider is all you can afford, i would wait before buying an amp. They are really that bad. The spider valve line is okay, very digital sounding but its decent and you can get a usable tone at bedroom level. Every other spider is bad in my experience, I've played a few different versions of the spider 2-4's.

Line 6, in conjunction with guitar center, peddle these terrible amps to inexperienced and new musicians to profit from their ignorance. Unfortunately a new guitar player in guitar center will see a massive line 6 banner and a pile of new shiny spiders and assume they are a good purchase just because of the environment they're in and their low price.

You can get a decent combo tube amp used for only a couple hundred more than a new spider will cost you, I would definitely recommend going used.
I think the spider is fine, for home use. Personally i use a small transistor amp with effects and stuff on it at home, and then when i get to practice i have my big tube amp.

For home-amps, all these modelling amps are just fine.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
My buddy has a spider 2 75w and that thing sounds really really good. I had a spider 3 75w and I couldn't stand to play it, it sounded horrible. Maybe it all depends on the model and particular one you get.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by Northernmight

For home-amps, all these modelling amps are just fine.

They suffice but aren't ideal. A small tube amp is still a better set up.
I find the Orange Crush 35LDX is a great little amp for the price if you're looking for a practice amp.
Quote by rickyj
They suffice but aren't ideal. A small tube amp is still a better set up.

Whoa there.

The modeling amps offer the opportunity to use headphones (most tube amps don't). They're not particularly fragile, rarely require maintenance. Tube amps require replacement tubes on occasion, and you never know when a tube is going to go. There's really no benefit to a tube amp until you get into distortion territory, and by that time the baby's crying, the wife is throwing things and the neighbors are sharpening their pitchforks and lighting the torches. I hate when that happens. With the modelers/modeling amps, you can run your ears into early tinnitus blasting away as loud as you like, as long as you have the headphones on.

The Amplifi I tried is a good unit -- and you can use it as is, without an iOS gizmo. But if you DO have an iPhone, etc. (they're "working on" Android compatibility), it's very cool indeed, because the iPhone works as a remote for the amp and much more. You can actually treat the Amplifi as a remote Bluetooth speaker for the iPhone/iPod as well. Sound quality's very good on these things, and it's stereo to boot. You CAN use it with headphones if you wish and, especially with the 150 model, there's enough power to blast away jamming with friends.

I personally have the Line 6 Pods, including some old ones and the new HD and HD500X models. At home, I run them through headphones late at night, or through a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered studio monitors for small room practice. You can also run them through anything larger, including powered PA-type monitors or directly into your favorite arena's mixer direct. You can also record with them, direct to the computer. None of this really applies to any small tube amp.
Quote by dspellman
Whoa there.

The modeling amps offer the opportunity to use headphones (most tube amps don't). They're not particularly fragile, rarely require maintenance. Tube amps require replacement tubes on occasion, and you never know when a tube is going to go. There's really no benefit to a tube amp until you get into distortion territory, and by that time the baby's crying, the wife is throwing things and the neighbors are sharpening their pitchforks and lighting the torches. I hate when that happens. With the modelers/modeling amps, you can run your ears into early tinnitus blasting away as loud as you like, as long as you have the headphones on.

The Amplifi I tried is a good unit -- and you can use it as is, without an iOS gizmo. But if you DO have an iPhone, etc. (they're "working on" Android compatibility), it's very cool indeed, because the iPhone works as a remote for the amp and much more. You can actually treat the Amplifi as a remote Bluetooth speaker for the iPhone/iPod as well. Sound quality's very good on these things, and it's stereo to boot. You CAN use it with headphones if you wish and, especially with the 150 model, there's enough power to blast away jamming with friends.

I personally have the Line 6 Pods, including some old ones and the new HD and HD500X models. At home, I run them through headphones late at night, or through a pair of KRK Rokit 8 powered studio monitors for small room practice. You can also run them through anything larger, including powered PA-type monitors or directly into your favorite arena's mixer direct. You can also record with them, direct to the computer. None of this really applies to any small tube amp.

+1

"Better" is situational.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I would have to agree in staying away from the Spider. I have a Spider III and it's very poor. For light distortion it isn't the worst, but for high gain stuff, it sounds pretty bad.
2014 Ibanez RG8
2013 Schecter Hellraiser
1999 Schecter Revenger 7
2007 LTD 'Monster' F
B.C. Rich KK Warlock
No-Name Acoustic
I currently have the basic fender Gdec I bought it for like fifty bucks. I believe it was originally packaged as a beginner amp with a Squire. It has some features I like but there limited ie drumbeats some different amp selections, tempo, metronome and tuner. I really like the Gdec because of the variety of features it has but wanted to dive a little deeper in the modeling amp area because I find them a little more flexible. I also have a tube amp a blues jr 3. I just find I never turn it on because im always using the Gdec. It has more options and it may sound silly but its really helped me with learning.
So maybe line 6 isn't the best choice for a modeling amp? Are there other suggestions? Thanks for all the input. I am a little put off by the spider now, although I liked the 24 minute built in loop station.
I own a Spider IV 15 watt. It's shit man. So much better options for same price.
Quote by dspellman
Whoa there.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33008024&postcount=41066

Quote by luckotdraw

Check out a Blackstar IDXX TVP series. The 60 w is $529 at Axe Music and the tones are quite good, it also has the stuff for recording and pC remote programming/control as well. I also have the POD HD 500 which is a great amp but does need powered speakers for live use.
Moving on.....
Playing a Gibson Explorer through a Line 6 Spider just makes no sense. If you want a looper, look at multi-FX pedals. The Line 6 Pod HD series gets a lot of praise. I have no experience with it though but it gets recommended all the time.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Whats the issue with playing an explorer through a line 6? Its not just the looper that's the selling point just thought it was a bonus addition that would be useful. I already own a looper and the idea of less is more as im in a cramped space lol.
The fact that the Explorer is one of the nicest guitars in the world, it would be like... putting a lawnmower engine in a F1 car. Kinda.

I still have my Line 6 POD 2.0 somewhere (it's pretty old!) and one of the advantages is you can easily plug it into different cabinets/amps and see how it affects your -modelled- amp tone. I also very much like its Delay and Chorus.
For bedroom setups, I'd put a POD into a clean amp. Keyboard amp, Squier amp, whatever you can find that's not broken.

(Actually. I hooked my Squier SP10 up to a 12"Celestion and with the POD it sounds surprisingly sweet!)

Ehm. And don't get a tube amp for your first amp. Like don't get a Floyd Rose on your first guitar. It's just too much hassle!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
There's no real issue. As a beginner, the guitar you play will get you excited to practice and that will affect your playing the most. I practice a lot without an amp playing electric guitar. Trying to get the musicality out of a song with solely your fingers and an unplugged electric really helps develop your skill and tone.

What he's saying is that the guitar is professional quality, while the amp is for beginners. The amp will limit the guitars tone to an extent, but this isn't just the Spider but a lot of the cheaper modellers.

There are better modellers out there for rock and metal, namely the Roland Cube and Peavey Vypyr, so if you can find them for a similar price, give them a try instead.

If you have some more money and are willing to spend it, we may be able to find you some nice amps to play on.

Some questions:

Can you play loud at your house?
What do you like to play/listen to?
Where do you live?
Will you buy used?
What's your budget?
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Last edited by evmac at Oct 14, 2014,
Ahhhh, like wearing jeans to a high class suit and tie joint? Cause I'm that guy. To be honest and not to offend any one, but if a line 6 has aspects that are going to help me progress in my long arduous journey to learn the guitar that my Blues Jr 3. doesn't, then consider me that guy in a classy restaurant wearing army fatigue pants and a skull and cross bone t-shirt ordering a strip loin and a chocolate milk.
Price isn't really an issue, (i hope that doesn't come across as pompous) can play loudly, but I try to respect my wife, as she has to put up with me. I love the blues and classic rock from the 50s 60s and 70s. I'm in the city, and I have zero qualms about buying used.
Quote by luckotdraw
Ahhhh, like wearing jeans to a high class suit and tie joint?

No, it's more like wearing regular sneakers to play in a game of organized, full-pad tackle football. Sure, they'll work fine up to a point, but as the game wears on, you'll realize you can't accelerate as hard, cut as sharply and generally control yourself as well as the guys wearing cleats.

Or like bringing a 5 year old computer to a FPS LAN party. Your machine may be able to run the game, but the newer machines will run it better and faster. You'll get tired of being taken out by shooters you never even see.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by luckotdraw
Price isn't really an issue, (i hope that doesn't come across as pompous) can play loudly, but I try to respect my wife, as she has to put up with me. I love the blues and classic rock from the 50s 60s and 70s. I'm in the city, and I have zero qualms about buying used.

Sounds like you should be looking at tube amp products from Fender, Vox, Carvin, Marshall, Orange, Peavey, Mesa/Boogie...brands that were used by those artists you love.

But if you do go solid state, spend the extra money and get a good one. Higher end Line6 is fine. So are the SS Carvins. I understand the HKs are nice.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 14, 2014,
Not just a boutique aspect then. The grand opinion would be stick to tube and buy a pod or buy guitar software then can give me drum tracks and such.
Yeah, if price is no issue then I would buy a POD HD 300-500 for sure. They are way better than a Spider in every way. They are quite cheap too on the used market.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Or like bringing a 5 year old computer to a FPS LAN party. Your machine may be able to run the game, but the newer machines will run it better and faster. You'll get tired of being taken out by shooters you never even see.

So if you're willing to spend somewhat then yes, look at the smaller tube amps. Then basically you can use a POD as many different overdrive/distortion pedals. For drum tracks you can use your computer!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Glad you liked that analogy: that was me on a borrowed PC* one evening. On that machine, I may have been dying every 5 minutes. When someone else took a break, I moved to a different machine. I got my hands on the rail gun and was picking single-pixel targets out of the air until they ganged up in me.

* I'm a Mac guy, and the game wasn't dual platform. At least, not that version of it.